Leepro Appreciation

gimmegimme

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on this 101J jacket

IMG-2198.jpg

IMG-2199.jpg

IMG-2200.jpg

IMG-2201.jpg

Found this on Redcloud but the nearest is 1960s and this has the MR on the tag which means it is 70s or newer as I understand it?

http://www.redcloud.co.jp/image/DT_460.jpg

Inside label looks newer as well and I saw an old eBay aution with the same label that said it was a repro?

On 1/16/2021 at 10:43 PM, Dr_Heech said:

@Broark they are Lee 1936 101 Cowboy pants. 13oz (i think?) Sanforized. They are the first hair on hide repro model, the other being the 1939 version (just different buttons).

These were my first repro Lee jean (bought 2 pairs in 2004) and they wear like iron!

Fyi though. My sz 34x33 measured 36x38 so l would imagine these would measure approx 38x38. Best double check measurements with the seller.

Yup. These (and apparently all Lee Archives, IME) run very, very large. I have 1936s and 1950s. Both are well above tag size in the waist.

I have also been told that they shrink quite a bit...but neither of mine have ever been washed, so I have no firsthand experience.

8 hours ago, 428CJ said:

Yup. These (and apparently all Lee Archives, IME) run very, very large. I have 1936s and 1950s. Both are well above tag size in the waist.

I have also been told that they shrink quite a bit...but neither of mine have ever been washed, so I have no firsthand experience.

My 1936's claimed to be sanforized shrunk - didn't shrink in the waist but did shrink 1-2 inches in leg length after a  normal (no noticeable change) then a hot 90 degree wash. Lost a lot of indigo colour.

Trouble is they had already been hemmed, so the leg shrinkage now gives them a bit of a high-water look, which combined with the so called Stovepipe top block, is a fit that l really like.

Will try and get some pics up soon.

Edited by Dr_Heech
Further explanation

@generic_guy l had one of those jackets in the same size. 1st Euro line l think (early 2000's? I can see 94 but sure it was 2000's?) Anyway, yes it's a repro.

Bought mine from TK Maxx for 25 quid  - excellent repro made from nice denim, good slim fitting/not overly long and nice nods to originals (early 60's/2nd type ribbon-tag for example). Gave it to a mate when l was having a denim purge many years back. Will have to see if he still has it (?)

Edited by Dr_Heech

Cheers @Dr_Heech I thought someone here would know :) 

Interesting that they put a vintage style neck label in but left the pocket tag as newer one, just bought a much more recent repro and that has a very new looking inside tag but just the R without the M.R. on the pocket.

The fit is definitely a proper vintage (ie verging on too short for me) but more like this length. Which I'm quite pleased with as the other one is slightly longer which works better for me but obviously a bit less authentic.

image.png.a490a5c5f9176ef67506b0412af8da8d.png

12 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

My 1936's claimed to be sanforized shrunk - didn't shrink in the waist but did shrink 1-2 inches in leg length after a  normal (no noticeable change) then a hot 90 degree wash. Lost a lot of indigo colour.

Trouble is they had already been hemmed, so the leg shrinkage now gives them a bit of a high-water look, which combined with the so called Stovepipe top block, is a fit that l really like.

Will try and get some pics up soon.

If I understand you correctly, washing cold for life keeps this inseam shrinkage from happening.

I also hemmed mine before finding out about this extreme shrinkage.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 10:47 PM, Dr_Heech said:

Do I understand correctly that you didn't note any inseam shrinkage after a cold wash – only after a hot wash?

My '36s are also hemmed, quite neatly (a 3/4–full break only). No room for any shrinkage. 

If the inseam shrinks, even in cold water, I guess it's dry clean only for those suckers.

2 hours ago, 428CJ said:

Do I understand correctly that you didn't note any inseam shrinkage after a cold wash – only after a hot wash?

My '36s are also hemmed, quite neatly (a 3/4–full break only). No room for any shrinkage. 

If the inseam shrinks, even in cold water, I guess it's dry clean only for those suckers.

Yes that's what l experienced. I originally purchased a pair in 2007 before l joined sufu so l didn't have any info on shrinkage/ washing them. After a 40, then a 60, no noticable shrinkage. But after a hot (90) wash, the inseam shrank an inch or so.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 7:38 PM, Dr_Heech said:

Yes that's what l experienced. I originally purchased a pair in 2007 before l joined sufu so l didn't have any info on shrinkage/ washing them. After a 40, then a 60, no noticable shrinkage. But after a hot (90) wash, the inseam shrank an inch or so.

Thank you. I think I will risk a cold wash when the time comes. 

Also, I am wondering how you did a 90 C wash. That is approaching boiling. Our hot water heaters here top out at 140 F (60 C).

1 hour ago, 428CJ said:

Thank you. I think I will risk a cold wash when the time comes. 

Also, I am wondering how you did a 90 C wash. That is approaching boiling. Our hot water heaters here top out at 140 F (60 C).

The washing machine l had (that broke recently), a Bosch 1600 express, had a boil wash feature.

The new machine, another Bosch, a Series 4 Ecosilence 1400, also has this boil wash feature. 

Think it's a fairly standard thing here in the UK(?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been looking out for a 101-j, but i'm not really sure how to size them. My late 60s 70505-0217 is a 42 and that fits pretty slim on me, but generously enough for me to have a hoodie or such underneath. Think I'd prefer a 44. tips for sizing the J??

Edited by Facini

• 5 months later...
On 10/8/2021 at 4:41 AM, stanier said:

Just seen this recent addition to the Edwin site. Described by the kind of generic 1950s 101B (and they do a 101Z version and a jacket), are they actually 1954 101's?

https://edwin--mall-jp.translate.goog/shop/g/gLM6411-89-28?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=nui,sc

There was a 1950 101B (I have a pair). It is different than the '54.

My pair runs very large.

Edited by 428CJ

• 1 month later...