Leepro Appreciation

gimmegimme

Took some detail shots of the hardware, too, but none are great photos.

All of the fly buttons are donuts with (very cleanly-hammered) double shanks, and the top one reads "Union Made" on top and "Cane's" on bottom. They look anodized to a blackish color, but I'm not sure what they're made of.

uqil5CV.jpg

j8YHS7g.jpg

The backs are stamped "S".

PhQMqfO.jpg

The fronts of the rivets read "S-C" in Lee-style lettering, and the backs are blank.

LiDJqkE.jpg

The hip pockets are half-lined with a mid-weight twill, with the Lazy S stitching holding the lining in place.

8JHK831.jpg

There's no product code to be found, just the size tag.

EHtdGDe.jpg

Posted some fit pics over in WAYWT. The rise on these is high, the hips are snug, and the legs are straight.

• 2 weeks later...

it looks like Lee Archives (Japan) are re-releasing the 1944 101B model on 21 June. I don’t think they ship internationally though so you’ll need to buy via a proxy, a friend in Japan or in person. Great price too!

If you click on the blue rectangle at the top, it will display the measurements. I’ve shown them in Japanese but Chrome may auto-translate if you use that. 

6AC3EF1B-E43D-43DB-BFE7-A5C7A196FB5D.jpeg

310160F1-F8DF-4D44-B2DB-8FC8D28CFFC8.jpeg

Edited by Maynard Friedman

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So who's making good Lee-style jeans, right now? Looking through this thread, it seems like a lot of the discussion is over older pairs by Sugar Cane, Full Count, etc. I know Samurai makes the Yamato jeans, but aren't those only available in a pretty tight fit? I want something with a classic straight fit.

Looking at Lee's website, their 101 selvedge jeans don't look half bad. But I'm sure there are better options out there, right?

The Samurai Jins line would be the better Leepro option than the Yamato-line. And they have some classic straight models there.

But in terms of true Leepro you could just have a look at the Japanese (Edwin) made Lee Archives models, like these 1952s https://lee-japan.jp/shop/g/g05101-89-28/

Thinking about what I want from a Lee-style jean, I definitely prefer left-hand twill denim, a medium-regular rise, and straight fit.

Looking over some of the XJ Samurai models on their site, they look really nice, but the rise is disappointingly low (about 10.5" on average, pre-soak, in my size.) Which is a bummer since the denim and pocket designs look great. Don't know if they're LHT.

TCB's Catboy looks like it could be a good choice - only downside is that it's not left-hand twill.

The Lee Archives ones look great. But who knows what the actual measurements are like on those, not to mention sizing/shrinkage.

33 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

But who knows what the actual measurements are like on those, not to mention sizing/shrinkage.

Come on, where would be the fun if it was so easy?
This shop has plenty of info though: https://www.jeans-neshi.com/mensjeanskan/lee/101z.htm

https://www.jeans-neshi.com/mensjeanskan/lee/lee-vintage-menu.htm

edit: also if you like Wrangler: https://www.jeans-neshi.com/mensjeanskan/wrangler/k-wrangler.htm

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

@Cold Summer, you may still find a pair of Sugar Cane 1945 Leepros in your size too, they'll have a decent inseam length I think.

One consideration worth noting is that many Lee or Lee-style repros will have wider-set back pockets and therefore potential for the 'diaper butt' look you don't like on the Eternal 811, so worth bearing in mind.

Thanks Maynard, good point. I noticed that too about some of the Lee-style ones I looked at.

Another non-Levis type jean with a look I dig is the Mister Freedom Californian, I guess it's supposed to be a Wrangler-type of jean, but something like that could be a better choice. Either way, not a huge rush since I have a few other pairs to break in first, which should keep me busy for a few years. Just trying to educate myself here. :D

On 2/24/2020 at 9:23 AM, Cold Summer said:

Thanks Maynard, good point. I noticed that too about some of the Lee-style ones I looked at.

Another non-Levis type jean with a look I dig is the Mister Freedom Californian, I guess it's supposed to be a Wrangler-type of jean, but something like that could be a better choice. Either way, not a huge rush since I have a few other pairs to break in first, which should keep me busy for a few years. Just trying to educate myself here. :D

Did Broark hijack your account?! Jk jk :tongue:

Edited by SuperJackle

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 10:51 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Anyone intersted in a pair of Lee 101-Z 1952 in size 33x34? My pair is roughly 2 sizes too big...

I might be. Feel free to drop me a PM with the price.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@rodeo bill

Cool. I have a pair too. I have a question. Did they shrink from their new size? If so, was it a lot? My first wash will be relatively soon, and I'm very curious what to expect. If they shrink quite a lot, then I will wash in hot water to get the shrink (they could use it).

12 hours ago, 428CJ said:

@rodeo bill

Cool. I have a pair too. I have a question. Did they shrink from their new size? If so, was it a lot? My first wash will be relatively soon, and I'm very curious what to expect. If they shrink quite a lot, then I will wash in hot water to get the shrink (they could use it).

nice! I'm sure we'd all love to see photos. As far as I can remember I didn't get much shrinkage from the original size, but these definitely stretch out a lot, so my guess is yours have stretched since you got them and will shrink back to size with a wash. I can pretty much only wear mine 3-4 days without them getting too loose and having to give them a wash- that's a big reason they've faded so gently.