Leepro Appreciation

gimmegimme

I just machine washed my raw Edwin-made 1937 101Bs at 40C. The waist shrank by 1" and the inseam around 1.75".

I now plan to add my donut suspenders buttons c/o Lightning magazine and get them hemmed. Are they likely to shrink any further in the inseam?

On the same note, I just gave my Edwin-made 1952 101z their initial warm soak. I wanna get them hemmed, should I be expecting any more inseam shrinkage in the future?

well no, not considering they're Sanforized. True, Sanforized jeans do shrink a bit, I reckon often more than the supposed max 3 per cent, but not worth worrying about future shrinkage after the first soak/wash.

Why did you soak, btw?

well no, not considering they're Sanforized. True, Sanforized jeans do shrink a bit, I reckon often more than the supposed max 3 per cent, but not worth worrying about future shrinkage after the first soak/wash.

Why did you soak, btw?

Thanks for the info. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Edwin made Lees shrink a fair bit tho they are sanforized. Guess the shrinkage should be gone in this case.

Ah yes, mean to post these photos from my recent Tokyo trip for Fardin. THese are items from the Lee store in Harajuku.

Little items I bought as presents for friends back home. The aprons are nicely sewn, tho' they're not screenprinted - instead they use a kind of 80s applique. And of course there's a real irony inherent in the fact they proclaim themselves "Union Made Guaranteed" but they're sewn in China. WOuldn't have minded paying mroe for something made in the US or Japan. But I think my friends will like them. Inset is a little hickory stripe book cover, which we use for our iPad. The aprons are around £30, the book cover around £12.

Leeaprons.jpg

I liked the shop... it's a concession in a big store in Harajuku. The full range of repros... I know I've seen the James Dean jeans in Tokyo but I can't remember if it was here; I might have more photos I will post on my blog - I did get stopped taking photos. Unfortunately the Edwin store, a few blocks away, has closed.

Leeshop.jpg

I did get a look at all the other repros, too... the Warehouse look nicer, but not outrageously so, they're not as obviously lush as the Heller Cafe items; I have strong hopes they will have better fabric than the Edwin-made ones, which to my mind have exaggerated slubs - overall, though, licensing out the designs to so many different companies seems a little pointless, and is going to cause a lot of customer confusion, especially if they're all sized, and shrink, differently.

The Edwin pants are around 14,700 Yen, £120 - which does make them really good value for money.

Edited by Paul T

Think you mistook the comma there, 147,000 yen is closer to £1200 :P .

Ha, reminds me of the Italian TV presenter who set a new record for celebrity guitar prices - he bid £189,000 for Hendrix's Woodstock Strat after messing up the exchange rate, thinking he'd got it for a bargain £18,900...

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2 pairs of Lee 101B Gold Labels for sale in size 30 and 32 (more like an actual 32 and 34).

These are made in Poland, sanforized, organic cotton, slubby left hand twill, with a black selvage line and dark blueberry colour. They're very nice, but unfortunately will get no wear from me as I have way too many jeans and am attempting to consolidate my collection.

The 32s have been washed once but never worn (to eliminate potential shrinkage) - £60 plus shipping from UK

The 30s are still raw and unworn - £75 plus shipping from UK

PM me for further info/photos.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

• 1 month later...

hey everyone, looking to get some sizing advice on the Lee 101 23oz.

Not sure how these run because looking at the sda models and warehouse models of the 101, the waist measurements seems to be different. sda being slightly oversized (1/2 inch or so) and the warehouse ones being oversized (3 inches).

any help would be great!

I bought my 101Z 23oz one size up from what I usually wear and they ended up just a little loose. So I'd say TTS or one size up if you want a looser fit.

Btw, have anyone worn them in for a bit? Would be cool to see some progress pics.

Is the 101S not a reproduction? The tags in the back pocket of my jeans just indicated "the original slim rider jean" and I can't find a year. Also, the pants I bought are made in Turkey. Anyone have an idea where the denim is sourced from?

@ Oxymoron- I bought a 101S two weeks ago but I don't own a camera so I can't get you fit pics. Anyway, the waist is over sized by maybe an inch. I usually wear size 32 in most brands but for the 101s I got size 31. Also, a couple of wears and the waist has stretched a lot although I don't think I could have gone to a 30 because the thigh/legs are already very slim for my preference. Lastly, the pants are heavily starched and the fly of my pants already have dents from the buttons.

Edited by mousemouse

• 4 weeks later...

Picked these up on the bay for a song , just arrived today .Fantastic condition 101z's from 1960s. These are going back on the bay as they are too small . Compared to the 1966 repros these are a tighter fit at the waist , thigh and leg . . Great to come across an original pair in such great shape with all the original features . Got another pair ,of 101z's with these , Unworn with tags but i beleive to be an early Lee repro , will post pics later .

001.jpg

006-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

008.jpg

009-3.jpg

Edited by mikedbt5

• 1 month later...

I will not do a presoak since they are sanforized (I finally got that confirmed) and I wonder how many times would be optimal to wash them over the 2 years, I am currently wearing a pair of nudies for one year without any wash and feel I could keep using them just like that for a long time but for this pair to get the best fading I think I need to wash them more than that. How many is the question though.

I think a presoak should help preventing early crotch blow-outs and such since you get rid off alot of the starch. In the end it should mean that my jeans is in a wearable condition for a longer time. At least that's my reason for the presoak. :)

I suppose it comes down to what kind of fades you're after? Old school = wash more often. But obviously there's no set dates for either kind of fades anyway since it varies so much of what people do in their denim.