Leepro Appreciation

gimmegimme

^ any insight on what this "toughened up" business is all about, then?

Basically, it's a more modern version of the old 101. Lower waist, slimmer legs and some exaggerated details as a huge hair-on-hide patch. I'd say it's a bit like the 'Golden label' series of Lee, but without the shitty denim quality.

From what I understand Jelt denim was a marketing term Lee used when they were referring to denim that was made from a tighter weave and therefore supposedly more durable. It was intended for their workwear line of overalls, dungarees and chore jackets (91-B and 91J). It does look and fade differently than the denim used in regular Lee jeans. Here's a cool Lee ad from the 30's.

lee_jelt.jpg

Also, any more info about Jelt? :)

I know from what you wrote that Cone are still making it and that Lee Japan are still making repros of some of the pieces that used it, like the 91-B seen here:

http://www.lee-japan.jp/archives/detail/archive18.html

but I've never seen it in person. Does it look different from regular denim?

Also, any more info about Jelt? :)

I know from what you wrote that Cone are still making it and that Lee Japan are still making repros of some of the pieces that used it, like the 91-B seen here:

http://www.lee-japan.jp/archives/detail/archive18.html

but I've never seen it in person. Does it look different from regular denim?

Jelt is a type of denim I believe, I can't remember where I read it, but I think it has a pin-dot type weave.

Quick update on the 1930 101Bs I started wearing at the start of the year...

dscf0606v.jpg

dscf0607f.jpg

dscf0610.jpg

dscf0613r.jpg

And a poorly-taken fit pic taken earlier in the day:

dscf0601e.jpg

The inseam lost a good two inches in the last wash, not sure I'll bother cuffing them from now on...lovely pair of jeans, not sure if the pics do the colours full justice. Very glad I chose these as an addition to my usual Evis jeans.

I'll get some pics of my Evis Lot 2101 Leepros up as soon as I can be arsed...

No-one's sure who invented Jelt. Cone produced it for them for at least some of the time, and it was used in Levi's workwear under a different name. It's a finer fabric, looks completely different to their denim.

This is COne deeptone, which looks very smilar to their Jelt variant. THis jacket is now owned by lildavid's levi...

kidsjacketdetail.jpg

Cheers :)

They've been getting worn since January, along with some Evis Leepros as well. Really starting to love these, along with most other classic Lee cuts I've seen...

CTB,

How do you rate them in comparison with the Evisu Leepros?

awesome pair crash, those are by far my favorite lees at the moment, along with warehouse lee friscos. the colour looks accurate.

i am so happy lee japan started making those. love the lower cinch and the suspender button, and the orange stiching and the patch......so many nice details

Crash, you've got some great wear to them already, it'll only get better.

Here's a cool pair of 50's Lee crotch riveted dungarees that have seen a lot of wear. Even thought they smell like an old barn I can't get myself to wash them as they look so beautiful. There's not much left of the Lee yellow red tag on the pocket.

LeefrontII-2.jpg

Leeback-4.jpg

CTB,

How do you rate them in comparison with the Evisu Leepros?

Difficult to do a direct comparison between the 'straight repro' i.e. the Edwin Lees and the 'tribute repro', in this case the two Evis pairs I wear.

The Evis pairs have taken a fair amount of license with the original design (e.g. painted 'Lazy S' back pockets on the Lot 2101 and standard 'gull' paintwork on the Lot 2113 Lee 131 repros).

The LHT denim used on the Lot 2101 repros is top notch, rivalling Evisu's vaunted No.1 denim.

But the Edwin Lees feel more like the 'real deal', if that makes sense? I'd not be able to choose a favourite though, as my answer would change depending on what day you asked me :)

true grant, and since you keep posting about them i am also considering getting some dungarees, but as always there are to many pairs i want. i am just to much in love with lee and the warehouse stuff. i know this is the lee thread but warehouse really has some crazy stuff out there, and so many great things are in planing for the fall season

i checked out some edwin leepros at the edwin store in harajuku, and was surprised to see them at around 18,000 yen. for some reason i thought they would be cheaper. at that price it's easy to go for the price jump to the higher-end leepros.

hi,

sorry if it has been discussed recently but i wanted to know who/where they were making the latest batch of 101z that you can buy.

eg:

http://www.oipolloi.com/store/Lee-101ZSelvageDry-12278.html or http://kiosk78.co.uk/shop/brands/lee-101/541_Lee101101ZSelvageDry.html

what kind of quality are they?

thanks

Can anyone answer the man?

hi,

sorry if it has been discussed recently but i wanted to know who/where they were making the latest batch of 101z that you can buy.

eg:

http://www.oipolloi.com/store/Lee-101ZSelvageDry-12278.html or http://kiosk78.co.uk/shop/brands/lee-101/541_Lee101101ZSelvageDry.html

what kind of quality are they?

thanks

they're pretty good, altho personally I'd wait for one on sale, I have often seen them cheaper, both at the Lee flagship store on Carnaby St and, I think, oi pollo too.

THey're pretty decent denim, probably by Kaihara, the cowhide patch is maybe fake (it's been mentioned before). I've not seen these worn in, only their predecessors, and they looked fantastic. Over the years Lee Europe have cheapened their 101Z, moving production from Eire to Malta to Poland, and changing from conventional to open selvage, but they're still good jeans. I thought the ones I've seen had open ('fake') selvage, so these might be an improved version.

i just love the pics from the movie giant, so many nice workwear in it. i have posted the friscos before, but i like this new pic. and one can see the suspender buttons too

tumblr_l2l058e2Sf1qbyoq9o1_500.png