Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

Been running a lot since the end of college. Average about 5k a day, 6 days a week. I really love distance running and am hoping to get into a bit of trail running.

I'm actually moving out west in a month and I'm hoping the transition is smooth. Way higher altitude, average temp, and much lower humidity.

If you are a beginner start with a reasonable distance (2-3 miles) and run for 2 minutes

and walk for 1 minute until you complete the distance. Keep adding to distance with

the 2:1 ratio before you start just running the whole distance. Be patient, it'll take a couple of months.

anxious to hear your thoughts.

glad you posted this bit of info, gonna try it and stretch out the distance i can run... probably lost around 90 lbs now from running/basketball and i gotta say i cant go a day now without running a couple of miles at least, i just dont feel as good if i dont

jimmyc how do those feel on your feet? They appear to look more of trainer shoes rather than running shoes.

I'm slowly getting back into running. I try to do at least 6ish miles a day. Fastest mile time was a 4:59 back a couple years. I will never see those numbers ever again.

Shoes are super important. Bad shoes = bad ankles/hips/backs/shins/etc. As for jimmyc's advice of the 2:1 ratio run/walk, I personally would advise against it. As soon as you have the mentality of walking you will get used to it, and you won't get far. If you're the only one pushing yourself (no coach) then I would say try to keep a steady pace without walking at all.

EDITED:

what are your goals? 18min for 5K as a first goal.

are you a runner or a racer? Runner

what shoes do you wear to train & race in? Saucony 3D Grid Tornado 2

080423_2n3DT_43a.JPG

For years I wouldn't wear any New Balance because they look so heavy and clunky and I just couldn't imagine them being good for distance training. I won a $100 gift certificate to RunTex in Austin about 10 years ago and got the 991's at the advice of one of the salesmen there (they are all serious runners). I have not worn any other running shoe since. they feel like air under your feet and are surprisingly light and sturdy all at the same time. They fit the way I run perfectly (over pronater).

They don't make the 991 anymore. The equivalent shoe is the 992GL now which is basically the same shoe.

Anyway, I recommend them for anyone that is my size and runs like I do.

Shoes are super important. Bad shoes = bad ankles/hips/backs/shins/etc. As for jimmyc's advice of the 2:1 ratio run/walk, I personally would advise against it. As soon as you have the mentality of walking you will get used to it, and you won't get far. If you're the only one pushing yourself (no coach) then I would say try to keep a steady pace without walking at all.

i heard that its not as effective to just keep pace (training-wise) in comparison to intervals, speeding up and down

Hmm. Usually when I think of speeding up and down I think of sprinting and then jogging, but walking is never in the picture. On my 9 miles day, I do a steady 3 mile run/jog. Then I do intervals of a top speed sprint and steady jog. I honestly think walking doesn't do much to help. And if it does, my old highschool coach did a good job of brainwashing.

jimmyc how do those feel on your feet? They appear to look more of trainer shoes rather than running shoes.

I'm slowly getting back into running. I try to do at least 6ish miles a day. Fastest mile time was a 4:59 back a couple years. I will never see those numbers ever again.

EDITED:

080423_2n3DT_43a.JPG

No, you absolutely must start slowly or you can permanently damage your body. Running is a tremendous stress on your body, most obviously the three joints: ankle, knee and hip. As the body adapts to the stresses of running, it needs to rest periodically. When you become an elite runner, the way that you rest becomes a lot more active (ie: a rest day may be a 3 mile/18 minute run), but that certainly doesn't apply during the early stages of your "career." The ligaments and other connective tissues MUST form before you push yourself too far. Trust me, my personal trainer is an elite triathlete who preaches this to me and damn near killed me for my almost 13 mile run.

jimmycI personally would advise against it. As soon as you have the mentality of walking you will get used to it, and you won't get far. If you're the only one pushing yourself (no coach) then I would say try to keep a steady pace without walking at all.[/b]

That advice was for anyone just getting started or for anyone that just wants to exercise. I agree about the walking and getting used to giving up ( I know my HS coach would kick anyone in the as he saw walking) but some people need that feeling of accomplishing something, or they just give up all together or even worse injure themselves.

People who aren't used to running need to "become" runners. There are very few people who can go out day one and just start running.

On the subject of not walking or quitting while running if you want to see a real runner just go to a marathon and look at all the people who are obviously injured or dehydrated but wont quit during a race. It is a mental toughness that you acquire after many thousands of miles that wont let you quit no matter what. Take your time acquiring that toughness. Right now just set goals you can attain, later set your goals a little higher. People more experienced like knugget or diewhitegirls are way past this advice and know their limits. Make sure you know yours or your running days will be over before they ever begin.

18 min's for a 5k means you are a racer, not just a runner. :)

Hmm. Usually when I think of speeding up and down I think of sprinting and then jogging, but walking is never in the picture. On my 9 miles day, I do a steady 3 mile run/jog. Then I do intervals of a top speed sprint and steady jog. I honestly think walking doesn't do much to help. And if it does, my old highschool coach did a good job of brainwashing.

Your HS Coach was right. Fartlek training like your talking about is for gaining speed in distance. Running and walking could be called Fartlek training for beginners.

Shoes are super important. Bad shoes = bad ankles/hips/backs/shins/etc.

i just realized this after running two days ago outdoors. i really feel like an idiot. this was my first time running in a few months and again my knee started to hurt at around 15 minutes. after running i realized i've been running the whole time (since i started running) in some old ass basketball shoes. i'll run again when i get some proper shoes, to see if its the shoes or if i'm pushing myself too much. or both?

thanks for the rep masuerte.

god damn too hot in california !!

who runs in the early morning? Freakin' can't wake up haha.

It's so hard to run in the heat that LA has right now. After like a good strong mile, I'm already soaked in my own sweat. -___-. I tend to run in the evenings where it's a decent hot when I get outside and by the time I'm done with my run, it's cool with the sun almost down.

Jimmy it took me about a month of forcing myself to wake up early and run in the morning and lift in the afternoon, but it makes all the difference now. (some 2yrs ago I started it) I have twice as much energy during my afternoon workouts. About two months ago I bumped up the mileage from 20 miles a week to thirty and am now at 40+. I run in the air max structure triax... shoe for arch support. My plantar fasciitis gets worse with other shoes.

Just got back from running. it's HOT today, 98º and about 100% humidity (like usual)

Still doing 5K a day for a couple of more weeks, then I'm gonna up the milage again.

All you SuFu runners keep us updated with your progress.

I'm going to try to be bring this thread back.

After a couple of year layoff I have begun running seriously and getting ready to train for the marathon again. I know there are a lot of people (& a lot of threads) devoted to weight loss and running is a great way for a lot of you to achieve your goals.

Before this gets going again please don't post all the running is bad for you bad for your knees, ankles etc. I concur on all that. If you are new to running then get some good shoes, some good beginners advice (& a program) and a good pair of running shoes that fit your feet and your style of running.

You don't have to train for a marathon, just get out there and exercise and stay healthy. I have a lot of friends my age that used to be excellent athletes that are now a hundred pounds overweight and all ready have heart and circulation problems simply because they just gave up and became sedentary.

So...

Let us know what your current program is.

what are your goals?

are you a runner or a racer?

what shoes do you wear to train & race in?

any advice you might have for the beginner

or tips for better training.

Currently I'm just building up to train for distance (5k a day, 6 days a week for the next 2 months).

I hope to start the racing season in the fall and build on distance. We don't have

lot of races in Texas in the summer (for obvious reasons).

I train in New Balance 991's

new-balance-991.jpg

If you are a beginner start with a reasonable distance (2-3 miles) and run for 2 minutes

and walk for 1 minute until you complete the distance. Keep adding to distance with

the 2:1 ratio before you start just running the whole distance. Be patient, it'll take a couple of months.

anxious to hear your thoughts.

Just saw this thread and figured i should contribute. I've been running for about 3.5 years and run quite a lot now. Started off just running on a treadmill at the YMCA and eventually moved to running only outside and got hooked big-time and just gradually increased mileage.

For the past year and a half or so i've been running about 70 miles a week, sometimes up to 90 mpw and sometimes a lot less when im dealing with little injuries or the weather is really shit.

But for the mileage i run i'm not all that fast... ive run 16'45 for 5k, 28'00 for a 5-mile, 57'00 for a 10-miler, 1:17 half-marathon. I basically just run everyday and go by feel that day, i never make any training plans or whatever.. i suppose i could get myself a little faster with more structured and specific training.

Havent run a marathon yet, but i'm sure i will someday, but i kind of want to be sure i'd be able to go 2:40-2:45 before i try one.

Oh, and i use a garmin forerunner 305 speed/distance monitor to keep track of of my mileage and i absolutely love it, well worth the $200 it cost.

as far as shoes go, i go through alot of shoes with the miles i run. And i run most all of them on the roads (no trails closeby) so i have to be pretty cautious with putting too many miles on my shoes or else my legs will pay for it.

But, i generally like light-weight, lower profile shoes. (which kinda sucks because they don't last all that long). My favorites right now are the Nike Katana series and some of the lighter-weight Adidas trainers/racers. I basically do most of my daily running in what would be considered racing flats or fast-paced training shoes. I used to wear heavier, more supportive, built up trainers because i thought i needed them because i have flat feet and the shoe companies try to tell you thats what you need. But, as i increased my mileage and speed and my efficiency improved, i found normal trainers to feel cumbersome and the lighterweight shoes feel much more natural and encourage better running form for me.

Right now I'm not putting in enough miles to need a post run snack, but when I do I like CLIFF® bars. I ate so many PowerBars when I trained for the marathon a few years that I can't stand the taste of them anymore.

I'm anxious to hear what the guys that are putting in high milage runs are eating.

81353.jpg

the cliff builders bars are also pretty good and you get a little protein with them.

i ran xc and t&f (800/mile) in high school and rarely enjoyed the running aspect. did it for all four years all three seasons. short days for XC were 7-8 miles and long days were 12-14 miles. it wasnt until i was in college and could go out and run on my own that i really began to like running. i began rowing in school and ended up gaining 20 lbs of muscle so that made a huge difference. now i probably run a 5k once or twice a week and work it into the rest of my workout program (oly lifts, bodyweight stuff, circuit training).

also, ive been running in asics for 7 years now, and have been very happy with them.

Right now I'm not putting in enough miles to need a post run snack, but when I do I like CLIFF® bars. I ate so many PowerBars when I trained for the marathon a few years that I can't stand the taste of them anymore.

I'm anxious to hear what the guys that are putting in high milage runs are eating.

81353.jpg

clif bars are far superior to powerbars. Snickers marathons are good too for more of a candy-bar taste.

I think my favorite post run food is oatmeal. Sometimes i use plain oats and add honey/vanilla/cinammon/dried fruit, etc, but honestly i love Instant oatmeal also. And always made with milk, not water.

Alot of times after i run the first thing i want is a piece of fruit (apples are my fav.) Then i'll eat something more substantial a little while later (i.e. the oatmeal)