Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

i had another bad injury over winter break but finally was able to run again last wednesday. had been almost 2 months, but i was impressed that i managed to do ~2.75 miles with decent time. it felt really good. i hope i get back in to the swing of it but i'm so much busier this semester we'll see how often i do it. i'd be down to do a club though. would motivate me to keep up with it i'm sure. i've been running in the indoor track at my school's gym so gps tracking wouldn't work for that, but i've wanted to start running outside more for a while now. i'm still not quite sure what endomondo is but it seems cool.

don't overdo it and smash yourself so early wurm, i did that recently and started developing a stress fracture so been resting again. So sick of running on ovals.

yeah i'm trying not to. today's the first day i've run since. i only did 3 miles. probably going to run 3 days in the next week, not much more than 3 miles on any day, then go a bit further the next week and so on.

I go old-school with things; I have a pedometer and an iPod. I do have an iPhone, but don't like to bring it along for any sort of exercise since it's sort of my getaway time.

That being said, I just got back into running two weeks ago. Haven't run since last summer and it shows. I'm sort of embarrassed that my gf can run 20 miles and I can go 2. I still beat her any day of the week in cycling, but I haven't done much running since high school when I played baseball.

I'm sort of easing myself into it with some short distance stuff--a jog around my apartment complex, a quick run to the grocery store up the street (unless I need to take my car), maybe a mid-day sprint to the trash dumpster. I want to at least work my way up to do a half marathon sometime but at the same time I do cycling and swimming so I'll have to balance things out.

Just got back into cycling a while ago and while it's been great, it's seriously cut into my time with lifting. Used to lift all the time, now it's more an occasional thing (though I did lift yesterday). Basically need an extra 2 hours every day to get all this accomplished while running my business!

Ran throughout high school, some of college for exercise, but I've fallen off. Picked up a flier for a 5K yesterday and using that as motivation to get back in the shoes.

I could never get with running with music. Messes with the rhythm of my feet falling for whatever reason. I've always had an obsession with numbers so I mentally count my steps until I hit a meditative state and all I am doing is running with no mental static.

yea, i've never run with music because it would probably fuck with my cadence if it wasn't a consistent beat every song, plus i like to focus on my breathing and just zone out. i don't want to have things in my ears to sweat all over, or carry a phone/ipod around either.

optimal running cadence is 180 steps per minute, so if you're looking for music, you'd want to find something around 180bpm.

Edited by Rob060

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out.

I'm relatively new to running long distance, and setup a goal to run a half marathon in September. A runner friend of mine has been keeping me on schedule but they can't really recommend me a good pair of shoes. Everything I've tried so far hasn't really worked. If I train too hard i definitely feel it in the arch of my feet. I tried going into Adidas and Finish Line but their recommendations weren't great - where do you guys think I should go to get fitted?

From my limited knowledge, I have a medium arch and don't pronate. I normally land on my forefoot.

go to a specialty running store, if you can. the people in general sporting goods stores won't know shit about recommending a proper shoe. if the running store is any good, they'll have a way to analyze your running gait and be able to recommend a shoe for your style.

go to a specialty running store, if you can. the people in general sporting goods stores won't know shit about recommending a proper shoe. if the running store is any good, they'll have a way to analyze your running gait and be able to recommend a shoe for your style.

yeah, I guess I'll try and find somewhere reliable this weekend. A little hesitant because I would feel like a dick if I got fitted and didn't buy anything, I got suckered into buying some stuff the last time I got "fitted" poorly because they had spent so much time trying to help me out.