Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

You guys are great. I wanna go do some long-distance something (walking is more like it) again. I'll be thinking of the superfuture community when I do.

• 4 weeks later...

My PR for the mile was 4:57 in HS... I think my 5K got down to 18, I think... don't think I broke that, but it's always hard to judge the 5K in XC because some courses are faster than others...

I used to be such a nut about it in HS, but I've slowly dropped off since then... I'd love to be able to get back into it just for jogging, not competitively. Only thing that's tough about it is that I usually pass out dead tired at night after exercising and I like enjoying my evening time at home

Also, if I were to get back into it, I'd like to be able to balance it with some other muscle training so that I'd bulk up a bit more rather than loosing weight (I'm already a skinny lad naturally and running really long distance just exaggerates that)

Currently doing 4-5 miles at 30 minutes 3-4 times a week plus weightlifting and stretching for an 1-1.5 hours. My mile is pretty slow now, getting in around 6:45-50. I've finished the LA Marathon four times now.

I both love and hate moving from XC to indoor track.

Indoor = no hills, no rolling your ankles on roots and rocks on trails, no racing in tempartures in the teens (although our school doesn't have an indoor track of its own, so all training is still done outdoor, weather regardless), no mud.

And it sucks for all the same reasons. Plus you have to sit through boring things like the 55m and the 200 while waiting for the fun events :)

I just started running a couple of months ago and am beginning to really enjoy it. I'm training for a half marathon in the beginning of Jan. My GF is a runner and she got me into it (although I've wanted to run a marathon/half marathon for a while). And she from OR as well, I swear it seems like everybody in that state is a runner.

i just started running indoors at my friend's university. im up to 30 min straight now. its really fun and i feel really good after running.

last week i fucked up my knee while i was at 25 min and i couldnt go on. its still a bit sore. im guessing its because i didnt stretch enough? or is it that my knees are already starting to give in? btw i ran a little after a 7.5 hour shift standing the whole time. does this have anything to do with it?

The 7.5 hour shift has a lot to do with it, I'd think. If you've just started running you have to ease into it so your body can build and get used to exercising. Running is really tough on the joints. I think the most common training schedule when you start out is to increase your weekly mileage by 10% every week of injury-free running. Proper stretching will definately help your knee out (and your running in general). Always remember to warm up and cool down, too.

Sorry, I'm in a running for wellness course right now and I thought this would be a good chance to share some stuff I've learned.

• 3 weeks later...
I both love and hate moving from XC to indoor track.

Indoor = no hills, no rolling your ankles on roots and rocks on trails, no racing in tempartures in the teens (although our school doesn't have an indoor track of its own, so all training is still done outdoor, weather regardless), no mud.

And it sucks for all the same reasons. Plus you have to sit through boring things like the 55m and the 200 while waiting for the fun events :)

Ouch, you have to do your Indoor training outside? That sucks, even my coaches aren't that crazy.

Also, 55m is fucking hardcore. Actually, not.

I just started training for indoor, which is in....less than two weeks. Whoops. I ran a 3/4 mile course in the woods today in five minutes. Mind you, I'm a sprinter and this is the first time I've run since July. At the end of the 3/4 mile, I collapsed. Like, literally on the forest floor. :(

wow, a lot of closet runners here.

i went to state in HS as a sprinter but that was over 10 years ago *jeesh*. now, after years of abusing my body, my cardio sucks.

i just started jogging, so this thread is very appropriate for me right now. i think my shoes suck cuz my feet hurt after i run. need to invest in some decent running kicks, like pronto.

Nice. My little collection of shoes now is..

AdiTempo Zero - end-of-summer, early fall trainer. Nice, lightweight, great shoe I'd buy again if I had the chance. These shoes have sick fades :)

Asic GelNimbus - current trainer. Definitely heavier, but OK.

Nike Kennedy XC - Fittingly, for XC meets. Them's got flames!

Puma Belus - A flat, for an occasional road race and about twice a week for uptempo runs and interval workouts.

Also have some old crappy Asics track spike and a Nike MD from like 2004, but those haven't seen my feet in months.

Other than that - drove from Philly to NYC for the Marathon trials, which was an amazing time. Great pity about Shay, but we didn't hear about it until well into the afternoon. As an Oregn native, I was going ballistic over the underdog run from Browne, but I'm still very happy about who's gonna be sent to China.

Hall's move as KK got within range of the lead pack... unreal. And one of my teammates who was there too got bumped into by Webb and Goucher.

Back to NY, actually, in a few days for an end of season Van Cortlandt meet. Should be fun.

• 1 month later...

running is bad, you shouldn't do it, it will fuck up your knees and you'll retire a useless cripple

if you're going to run, go trail-jogging, it literally feels like you're running on foam compared to the road

otherwise, find a bike frame that fits, set the seat to the proper height, and away you go, injury free et al. !

• 2 weeks later...

well i would not consider myself a "runner" persay but I play baseball and we have been conditioning for season more than i have ever ran. we have only been running for a couple months (5 days a week) last week we did just under a 7 mile run from doing nothing more than 3 1/2, but once you get in that runners pace its a peace of cake.

• 5 months later...

I'm going to try to be bring this thread back.

After a couple of year layoff I have begun running seriously and getting ready to train for the marathon again. I know there are a lot of people (& a lot of threads) devoted to weight loss and running is a great way for a lot of you to achieve your goals.

Before this gets going again please don't post all the running is bad for you bad for your knees, ankles etc. I concur on all that. If you are new to running then get some good shoes, some good beginners advice (& a program) and a good pair of running shoes that fit your feet and your style of running.

You don't have to train for a marathon, just get out there and exercise and stay healthy. I have a lot of friends my age that used to be excellent athletes that are now a hundred pounds overweight and all ready have heart and circulation problems simply because they just gave up and became sedentary.

So...

Let us know what your current program is.

what are your goals?

are you a runner or a racer?

what shoes do you wear to train & race in?

any advice you might have for the beginner

or tips for better training.

Currently I'm just building up to train for distance (5k a day, 6 days a week for the next 2 months).

I hope to start the racing season in the fall and build on distance. We don't have

lot of races in Texas in the summer (for obvious reasons).

I train in New Balance 991's

new-balance-991.jpg

If you are a beginner start with a reasonable distance (2-3 miles) and run for 2 minutes

and walk for 1 minute until you complete the distance. Keep adding to distance with

the 2:1 ratio before you start just running the whole distance. Be patient, it'll take a couple of months.

anxious to hear your thoughts.

I haven't run seriously in years because of my screwed knees and a few fucked up hairline fractures in random foot-bones.

Now I'm trying to get back after a few months on the elliptical. Shit is HARD so I find it a good idea to ease into it. I want to be able to pass military standard short-run (1.5miles) in 10 minutes ... how many months do you think it'll take?

Right now I'm doing really really carefull slow jogs for the first 3 weeks I hope I can get to running condition soon.

Also I suggest for people to watch for REI shoe sales if they ever wanna stock up on running shoes (most of my friends who do long distance use 1 up every other month). Some good trail running shoes for under 25 dollars sometimes.

It's gonna take you a few months to build up to that military short run. 1.5 miles in 10 min's is about a 6:25 mile pace. That's pretty quick. Keep doing what your doing now. Start slow but always push yourself to do a little more each time out even if it's just 50 yards farther or just a little faster pace the last 1/4 mile. You'll gain confidence and feel stronger each time. So much of running is mental but you know that if you were a runner before.

Also I wouldn't suggest just buying any runners shoes because they are cheap. masuerte, I know you said you were a runner before so you obviously know what you need in terms of width and running style, shoe. Everyone else I suggest you go to a running specific shoe store and let one of the people there fit you for proper shoes. You don't have to buy the most expensive shoe, just get the best shoe for you.

For some of you I'm afraid to say that Dior™®© doesn't make a running shoe.

:)

I'm training for triathlons currently and running has quickly become my favorite of the three. I've been doing distances between 3-6 miles, but I "accidentally" ran 12.65 miles the other day and damn near killed myself. Total time was 2:02:09 and total pain was a throbbing knee, useless legs and two blisters on my arch's that could only be regarded as fucking huge.

God, it's fun.