Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

Or if not saved it, at least takes up the majority of it.

I'm up at 6:30 tomorrow morning to travel with my school to Maryland for a Navy-hosted XC meet... anyone else out there putting in the miles? Kind of contrary to the fashion-based nature of this site, a life of running/stretching/icing/eating/drinking (water and electrolytes)/sleeping, but SF and XC do share the common trait of belonging almost entirely to skinny fucks in tight clothing.

I'm planning on running the LA Marathon in March of '08. It's going to be my first long distance run of any sort so I'm pretty sure that I'm in way over my head. So far the longest run I've done during training is about 7 miles (pretty pathetic, I know).

Anyone here ever take part in a marathon or triathlon? What was the experience like? Any tips?

Sorry long distance running can hurt some people more than it can help. It's a long-term impact excercise/sport that has it's disadvantages.

If you aren't trained well, don't have proper posture, don't have proper footwear, you're gonna fuck yourself over. Plus it causes you (kinda like foot-ball) to get used to eating more.

When I did LDR during high school, I was very fit, enjoyed the runners high and loved eating a high-carb diet untill I hit a certain point where my knees started fucking up and the pain in my feet would not go away for a good hour after running. I gave it up but was still eating carbs like crazy. I gained a good 40 pounds after that.

LDR + my fucked up appetite ruined my life. :P

^^^I could probably use a bigger appetite since I'm pretty skinny. But anyway, thanks for the honest feedback. I'm definitely planning on going to a doctor and some sort of trainer first to talk it over and get as much info as I can. I'm not trying to go into the event without doing some homework..

I'm slowly moving to longer and longer distances in hopes of running marathons and doing triathlons in the near future. As of right now I only run about ten miles a week but that's mandatory running for PT. I don't have the time to run after work due to school. I never was a good runner but something changed when I was training for Pararescue. Now I love to run on trails or other places where the scenery changes.

In HS I ran a 4:50 1500 - converts to about a 5:18 mile?

Then last year as a freshman, I ran a 5:20 DRUNK mile, but switched to focus my running on 5000m and upwards so didn't have a chance to gage my time in a "real" one.

And Masuerte - I know a lot of people run "wrong," throwing on an average pair of sneakers and plodding with bad form for half an hour on a gym treadmill... running well involves a lot more than just running, need to/eat/rest/stretch properly, too.

Anyway, I just got back from the longest run of my life - 14+ miles in 96 minutes (have been doing 85-90 once a week for a while, so it's not a big jump up). Beautiful early morning 55-degree day, left my school and ran down along the course of a half marathon to go watch guys from various north African countries run thirteen straight sub-5:00 miles... Jeez.

And GoodHustle - best advice I can give is to get people to run with you. Makes all the difference in the world. That, and make sure you have the right shoes... really the only equipment you need to run with, so don't be stingy.

I'm far from a "serious" runner, but the hardest thing about keeping it up is after you take a break for a few days, it's really hard to get myself going again.

So usually I'll just run about 30-40 min a day (with occasional days i'll take a break), but then if i'm too busy with work or whatnot, and don't run for a week, it takes major motivation to get going again.

last summer is was running 4-5 miles a day ( in 90 degrees), then progressing slowly up to around 10 towards the end before work really got in the way and i stopped.

my uncle finished the nyc marathon back in the early 80's 3 times...kinda cool, he's got photos of him crossing the finishing line hanging up in the house.

I did high school varsity cross country but I was "ok" at best. I think most of my times were around the 19 minute range for a 5k. I managed to fuck up my shin a few times though with a tibial stress fracture and now I can kind of predict when it's going to snow. Running can really screw your body up if you don't prepare for it, but other than that I haven't found anything better than an early morning run through the woods. It's such a great way to meditate/get fit.

I think my best mile time was a 5:50. Has anyone seen those ultra 100+ marathons?

^^^I heard about this one guy who's trying to run 24 hours straight on a treadmill suspended upon Times Square or some other place in NYC. These 'ultra marathon' runners are insane.

And GoodHustle - best advice I can give is to get people to run with you. Makes all the difference in the world. That, and make sure you have the right shoes... really the only equipment you need to run with, so don't be stingy.

Thanks man. I found a new balance / running shoes shop in Santa Monica that'll help me figure out what shoes to get based upon the shape of my feet. I need to go check them out soon. And finding someone to run with has been pretty difficult...either my friends are too lazy or their work/school schedules conflict with mine.

^^^

. And finding someone to run with has been pretty difficult...either my friends are too lazy or their work/school schedules conflict with mine.

true...helps so much, cuz you can push each other.

my dad is 57 and still runs 3-4 miles both weekends...im sure he would run more, but the other 5 he works...he was my partner when i was into it.

this thread could be used as motivation...

I'm a sprinter, so am I going to get kicked out of this thread?

I do LDR for off season training, a few miles up and down hills every other day or so. I use a pair of Nike Free's, has anyone else had experience in them? I'm really not that good at it, but it does build up for track season.

Also! Great way to meet girls. I ran most of the summer while I was at Brown because my running partner wore a sports bra and short shorts. Yesssssssss.

Out, scram!

Kidding of course - but, yes, running girls are pretty fucking attractive. A nice incentive to keep active in the sport.

And I've used Frees every now and then for workouts (speed work, i.e. mile reps), didn't think they gave enough support to be regular trainers. To each his own, though.

SHIIIIIIN SPLIIIIIINTS!!

Haha, horrific :P

It's a great idea to do this with partners. Get a chubby but cute girlfriend/boyfriend you're interested in to run with you, they might become attractive afterwards.

And I would also like to point out that runner's high is frickin' awesome. Almost as good as the thrill you get after killing someone... or sex. Hmm... go ahead and have sex afterwards, keeps you limber :)

So I was up at 5:55 the last two days to get some miles in. What a great first thing to do in the morning.

And on the 28th I get my first cross country 8K race, then the next day is Animal Collective in concert - talk about an unbeatable weekend!

I'm a slow runner (I think I might qualify for "clydesdale" at 5'10" 180 lbs). I think the fastest I've run a mile is probably about the slowest most "runners" run a mile. I'm training for a half marathon in a few weeks--I've done a couple 12-mile runs under 2 hours and I'm aiming to hit around 2 in the half. I've been running about 20-25 miles/week for a month, but I'm going to take it down a little until the race.

I ran cross country for about a month in high school, but I hated it.

So I was up at 5:55 the last two days to get some miles in. What a great first thing to do in the morning.

And on the 28th I get my first cross country 8K race, then the next day is Animal Collective in concert - talk about an unbeatable weekend!

This post might inspire me to wake up at 6 to go for a run before school starts.

And Animal Collective is great in concert.

I prefer the Fall when the trees turn color. The weather is good enough so you can get away with shorts and a t-shirt and the scenery looks nice. Nothing beats an early morning run through the woods for me. I've got a running for wellness class now that's teaching me a lot about injury prevention and training techniques. We have a timed 5k next week that I'm pumped for.