Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

I must wear my compression shorts whenever I have a race or play competitive ball. I do feel less strain on my hamstrings and adductors afterwards, so I guess it works. Also they are great for those cold mornings to get the muscles warmed up quicker.

Did a 10km this week, got a timing of 40:14 without feeling that winded but thanks to my new shirt I now have chaffed nipples. Uggh.

Edited by DJ_Flame

i just ran on an ultra team fro Ragnar Relay del Sol over the weekend and I wore compression shorts for my last leg. I think they were pretty helpful. i had been experiencing some hamstring pain before hand and I think the compression shorts helped me finish the race without further hamstring issues. I'm still not sold on compression gear for shorter, faster stuff though. for some reason, they make my legs feel kind of drained when I try to up the tempo. I think they work best for really long mileage to keep your body from breaking down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

finally back in the saddle. quit smoking last week and have been getting back into the running and it feels amazing.

clocked 10km tonight. in terms of blackberry running applications, any suggestions?

Was thinking endomondo sports tracker?

The past nine months have been a nightmare with injuries and such, the periosteum in my left shin hasn't fully healed in over a year, so I'm glad my insurance company finally decided to cover orthotics for me. Hope it solves the problem, as I'm psyched to get back on the road in a week or so.

anyone have suggestions on a running waist pack thing? when i run i always bring my keys, atm card, handkerchief, and ipod nano. sometimes i bring my phone (iphone 4). the limiting factor is pockets. i usually run in drifit shorts/tee, and a drifit vapor jacket. at night the jacket is cool because it blocks the wind, and it has 3 pockets that zip up and hold those things i bring. most of my running shorts dont even have pockets. but in the warmer seasons im not trying to run in a jacket. so how do i keep my stuff with me?

on a tangent.

what do you guys listen to while you run? i made a mix that has been my running soundtrack for a bit. i tried to zone in on tempos that work for me while running. you can peep/dl it free here: http://www.mixcrate.com/mix/122606/DJ-BRIGIDOPE-M2S2-MUSIC2STRIP2

but what works for you guys?

also... ive been using the nike site to map runs... but ive come to like mapmyrun.com better since the elevation information is fun to look at. are there any similar sites i should try? yee.

• 3 weeks later...

slightly confused as to why you need so much stuff? bank card, 2nd iphone/nano device, handkerchief? maybe just cut down what you run with.

as for music, last couple of weeks I have been running to classical and pretty much nothing else, chopin, beethoven, part, mozart, schumann, messiaen etc etc. just helps me find a really good relaxed tempo and pace.

sportstracker is good for trackin your stuff. got some salomons gtx pro 3d's. loving em, especially the laces, weight is noticeable though. i can't run fast anymore =( gonna cut longer runs for some interval work i think.

• 2 weeks later...

any runners have good experience with any sorts of shirts/singlets that are ~$20-40? florida is really warm

I don't know what exactly you're looking for in a singlet, but if you're a small guy like me who likes something that's slim without being tight, I would highly recommend the Brooks Men's Distance Singlet

BMDSNG-OR-1.jpg

when I run with a shirt (which is only really for races now. Shirtless is seriously the way to go. It feels better and it means less laundry), this is my go-to singlet. I've run a couple half marathons and stuff like that in this singlet and I felt comfortable.

ok so some help is needed. has anyone here done a 4 minute mile?

A friend of mine bet me last night that I would never have a chance in hell of doing one (he is probably right) but I would at least like to give it a crack, any training tips, suggestions, or anything would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by jackg

^Interval sprints + hill sprints

e.g.

4 x 400m on track (rest 1-2 minutes in between)

followed by

sprints up hill / stairs. Normally I do 4-5 sets.

I have never tried a sub 4 min mile but I can comfortably run 6 min w/o feeling winded...most likely can do it if I went all out? My PR for 800m is 2:20min.

Edited by DJ_Flame

I agree on 400m repeats. do a simulation of the race broken into pieces. If you can do four sub one minute laps in one workout, that means your on track to breaking four minutes.

also, maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but dj flame seems to be implying that he could break four because he can break six minutes easily. No hate, but I doubt that. breaking four minutes is a big deal. I can break six minutes easily, but I'm still a long way away from four minutes even.

edit: jackg, how fast is your mile right now?

Edited by phive-oh-won

^ Yeah see your point...no offense taken.

Jack, sub 4 would be possible if you're hitting low 50s per 400m interval.

And don't forget to throw in some longer runs, you need the added stamina for sustaining a high speed.

thanks guys!

I have no idea what my current time would be, at the moment just been doing longer runs 8-10km's at steady pace to try and build up a good base fitness, probably 3/4 times a week, then hockey 3 times a week.

will start getting interval and shorter faster work into my sessions.

in reality though how realistic is doing a 4 minute mile? I am in reasonable shape, and happy to train hard for next 6-12 months, but is it something that you have to be a talented runner to do or is hard work and persistence going to get me there?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can finally post here. Started running and im at a pace of 8:59/mile for 8-9 miles! never ran this far in my entire life but shit feels good.

I think i might need to upgrade some gear.

-i've been running with nIke free +2 but might want to try to upgrade to something that is more durable and a little more cushion?

-what is the lightest gps/device to track my running?

-where can I still pick up gyakusou gear? I need to reward myself with legit gear.

• 2 weeks later...

time for new shoes. bit the bullet and decided to give the newton technology a try since they're made for my running style. known about them for a while but was a little skeptical. their 2012 line had nice improvements in the shoe weight and thankfully i get a 20% discount hookup otherwise i probably wouldn't have gotten them. still the ugliest shoes on the planet.

Newton_Distance_Mens_2012_side.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

do intervals?

honestly they're fairly simple, there is a lot of formatting and stuff you can look over but i would do one "short" and one "long" set a week. really it depends what kind of distance you want to get faster at... (200 as short and 400 as long) normally i just go to an oval and make it up.

http://www.letsrun.c...?thread=4471789

is a good read.

Vary the ratio's of rest time, laps on/off etc.

I'd also advocate once a week doing a short 1-2k run barefoot on an oval or something, it's good for your technique and builds calf strength, both will make you faster.

Edited by jaac

• 1 month later...