Long distance running saved my life...

brightbill

My 9 year old daughter and I do a fair amount of trail running across the North Shore mountains of North Vancouver. I was constantly fighting leg injuries while road running - not to mention the sheer boredom - before I took to the trails and I haven't looked back. I find that trail running keeps my mind much more engaged, especially on the more technical trails.

There is a race here called the Knee Knacker which we have been doing in smaller 13-14 km segments. If you take a look at the elevation you can see there is a lot of up and down. At an rate, here are some camera phone pictures I have taken whilst we wend our way across the mountain (which drives her crazy - she is always saying to me "This isn't a photo op Dad - WE ARE RUNNING!")

running-03.jpg

running-04.jpg

running-05.jpg

running-06.jpg

running-08.jpg

running-10.jpg

Awesome pictures. Ive been on a total of 1 trail run in my life & it was my first 5k run ever about 2 years ago. It was right after a hard rain the day before & I got filthy, loved every second of it. Dont get much trail running here in Houston, its very urban, very flat, no hills, no mountains. But there is allot of country running in TX just gotta make the trip. Looking forward to doing some more inspired by those pictures.

My daughter and I did a 14 km trail run in the pouring rain today. I love running in the rain - we live in a coastal rainforest after all. We did the Fisherman's Trail, which follows the Seymour River up to the Mid Valley Lookout. It is a really nice area that is only accessible by foot or bike - no motor vehicles - so it is not heavily traveled. It feels like your own secret resting place. Here is a pano I did on a sunnier day:

seymour-valley-lookout-02.jpg

Today it looked like this:

seymour-valley-lookout-01.jpg

They have filmed a lot of tv and movies around here including shows such as Dark Angel, the X-Files, Happy Gilmour and MacGyver - more recently I ran into them shooting Psych and Fringe.

After that we ran through an area known as the Mossy Forest, named apparently for the amount of moss that clings to the trees.

mossy-forest-01.jpg

That's it really.

^ Once again...awesome pictures. Always makes me want to run.

In other news... Any Nike+ users really confused by this new Nike+ Active thing they have on the site now? Extremely non user friendly. The first day I signed up for itthey told me congratualtions on running the Brooklyn Bridge & posted it to my twitter & facebook. I live in Houston. Maybe they just need to get the kinks worked out?

I have been following the Guyakusou project with interest and imagine the price point will be considerably above what I would want to pay for everyday running clothes. That being said, if they surprise me I would consider buying.

Today we went for an 8km trail run on what is called the Lynn Loop. It is probably my favourite technical run of any we do - lots of roots, rocks, etc while still being runnable. Here are a couple of shots.

run11.jpg

run12.jpg

I haven't run in almost a week. School has just been way intense. I think I'll start waking up at 7AM to get a run in... Sounds terrible.

same here! but I just finished up my final exams and purchased my 1st pair of nike frees to break-in. about to head out for my 1st run in a week and a half!

Today we went for an 8km trail run on what is called the Lynn Loop. It is probably my favourite technical run of any we do - lots of roots, rocks, etc while still being runnable. Here are a couple of shots.

neat-o! wish my runs could be as scenic.

I used to love running. Then I battled with plantar fascitis for nearly a year while trying to compete at the college level and finally gave it up for my last year of school. Now I've moved into long distance skateboarding. It is WAY more fun and I can go 3-4 times as far for the same effort. And all the balance stuff is great for the legs and core with much less pounding.

tried to do a hill workout in 100 degree heat today... although I got a decent amount done, it felt awful. I probably won't be doing that again anytime soon. On a lighter note, I did some mileage this evening and I really pushed the pace at the end. I love taking it easy at the beginning of a run and then gradually speeding up until you're killing it at the end. It's one of the best feelings ever.

Finished an approximate 10k. Too many hills around my way, plus I think I need some new knees ...

Something I can replace; my Brookes Trance 9s are coming to the end. Can any one suggest some decent replacements for a budget price or some where to kop a nice pair online for cheap?

Slight over pronation, for reference was using Asics GT2140 before.