Mad Men

JayIvory

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
Guest Phrost

mad men is sooo good. take note: mysogeny, drinking, attractive secretaries, and good clothes always make for good tv.

don's new secretary jane (peyton list) ughhhh

PeytonList.jpg

in order for me it would be:

helen the single mom

joan halloway

bette draper

hilda? (campbells sec)

but anyway

the show is really good. very well written... funny and great characterizations.

i think it's on sundays.

i can't fucking stand the opening titles though. my guess is they're trying to do something saul bassesque, but it looks shitty. :(

Maybe it's too soon to say but I'm really liking this as something re-watchable in the same way that I like the Wire. The characters (and their clothing), situations, photographic composition, and dialogue are all interesting in a subtle and engaging way that curiously makes me love to watch episodes over and over again.

I also like the way it represents how women are treated in the 60's. I don't know if it's truly realistic... 'cuz baby, I wasn't even a baby then... but it believably comes across that way.

in order for me it would be:

helen the single mom

joan halloway

bette draper

hilda? (campbells sec)

I think it's Hildy... List looks pretty good to me, Id add Draper's new secretary, didn't catch her name. I liked the beatnik chick Draper had too, kind of had that wierd/hot thing going with the wigs there.

It's pretty awesome to see how manipulative Draper is with his wife, the past few episodes she tries to pull some shit on him and he just makes her feel so bad, fucking brilliant.

i can't fucking stand the opening titles though. my guess is they're trying to do something saul bassesque, but it looks shitty. :(

agreed, it looks like it was made by like a freshman animation student as a test for something that they were going to make in the future. The show is amazing though, some really great actors. And betty draper is that shit.

• 3 weeks later...

i havnt seen anything from the 2nd season but i watched season one consecutively and it was stellar. this is one of those shows where when i watch it i feel guilty because i know its popular for the wrong reasons. theres so much brilliance packed in to this show that probably goes over everyones head. for example: the way some people in this thread are giving the show acclaim for its mysognistic undertones. i think the show is actually taking a complex stance againt that kind of behavoir. but thats obviously not a debate for the general veiwing public.

for example: the way some people in this thread are giving the show acclaim for its mysognistic undertones. i think the show is actually taking a complex stance againt that kind of behavoir.

...we all know misogyny is wrong; it's portrayed in the show because that's what it was (same with drinking and driving, etc). i don't think the subtext is as deep as you think it is.

and yeah pete campbell's wife is fly as hell.

i wouldnt call it subtext. i just think its more complex than most people would give it credit. but i think the whole show is like that. and the opening credits that alot of people think are cheap looking kind of reinforce what im talking about. i dont know. wed have to get really analytical for me to explain it but the whole era of the show and the lead characters all kind of add to this morbid tone where post-war america is at its breaking point and the only logical way to keep people distracted is through consumerism so you get these people whos lives are an aboslute mess and who arent at all happy, then you have them selling happiness to the masses. the first episode where theres a bunch of suits trying to find away to keep smokers from thinking about how their habit will inevitably kill them... its all so bleak. and the mysogyny in the show is a part of that. you get campbell who's essentially neutered by his new wife and he has to take it out on drapers secretary because shes weak and naive (read: modernistly feminine) so he fucks her because he wants to demonstrate some patriarchy at work since hes the bitch at home. all that shit just lends itself to this overarching sense of hopelessness thats fuelled by rapid consumption(drinking, smoking, fucking) that doesnt seem to help anyone have any moment of self realization. every character seems to have this same downward trajectory. that trajectory is best exemplefied in the credits when you see a faceless man with no discernable characteristics except that hes professionally dressed, freefalling toward the ground amidst a barrage of overtly sexual and sensationalized adverts. seems kind of brilliant even if not aesthetically so.

haha, leave NESK alone to pat himself on the back as he pleases

or whatever mental masturbation he's getting off on when he subtly mentions he's discovered something that everyone else already knows about. That and separating himself from the general viewing public.