Furniture: looking for a chair..

mike lowrey

I know theres some design savy folk here, so I hope someone could help me out with this..

I'm looking for a particular type of chair, it looked very much like the Eames DAX chair (pictured below) but the seat was upholstered in fabric and looked slightly thicker. I think its a pretty classic design but cant figure out who its by, I'm interested in knowing either the original make or any info on a remake or similar design is also welcome.

DAX_weiss.jpg

There are a few chairs that look similar to that one.

Organice chair by Vitra (also by Eames)

66v53k2.jpg

Knoll:

5zlzf3s.jpg

And there was also an actual upholstered version of the Eames dining chair, which you could probably only find at vintage shops now, as well as a similar, but modified design called the LaFonda.

LaFonda:

61wd9wm.jpg

Vintage upholstered Eames chair:

680z2gw.jpg

One more...Tulip chair by Knoll:

2ns8288.jpg

thanks for those!

yea the organic is actually pretty close, but the opening makes it look a bit different.

I saw really similar ones in Palais de Tokyo in Paris, they looked pretty much like the organic, with legs similar to the Eames one and without the cutout.

so basically I'm looking for something like the Organic but without a grand per piece price tag, or something similar to an upholstered Eames DAX thats still produced :o

Its pretty common to find knock-off version of them...I can't tell you an exact manufacturuer though. The Vitra Organic chair is very pricey (around $2000ish).

Do you want it as a dining chair or a lounge chair?

edit - btw, if you're looking for a vintage model, there are various codes to look for. DAX means D(dining)A(armchair)X(x-base) and there would be a -1 at the end for upholstered versions. There are various other codes for the same chair with different bases (DAR would have a rod (eiffel tower) base)

I haven't had upholstered dining chairs before so I'm not too familiar with the price levels, but ideas are still welcome. something like €500 a piece is unfortunately too much but I'll definately look at options under that if they exist :cool: