Patrik Ervell ss08

rowyerboat

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ervell is ill. I like nice clothes with good quality materials and worksmanship. I dislike clothing that makes me stand out a lot and draw attention to myself. I dislike looking like I am wearing a costume for a part in a movie or a reanactment of a mythological battle. I find that incorporating select Ervell pieces works great for me no matter how "boring" or "obvious" his collection as a whole happens to be.

around 250 or something

i like ervell's stuff but i feel it's overpriced for what you get. i like the fact that his shirts have club collars, but the collars are a little big for my taste. the pants are nice (talkin bout f/w jawns)

Who else got club collars going round? I love those things, not glad to hear that the collars are big. I'm super concious of collar size for some reason, so when they're too big it drives me nuts.

i have one of his club collar shirts and i wouldn't say the collar is big at all. they're quite small, actually, smaller than the Thom Browne ones or the Polo ones. no, they're not as small as, say, a Dior collar, but they're really not what i'd call big, or even 'normal'.

i have one of his club collar shirts and i wouldn't say the collar is big at all. they're quite small, actually, smaller than the Thom Browne ones or the Polo ones. no, they're not as small as, say, a Dior collar, but they're really not what i'd call big, or even 'normal'.

I agree with this statement 100%. Ervell's club collar is the perfect size.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been getting into Ervell a bit lately and I was wondering if anyone on here owns a good amount of stuff by him. I never really see anything by him in WAWT....Just curious!

I have the wool flight jacket from fw07. I love the look, it's very warm and it's pretty well made (a few loose threads when I bought it, but I wear it pretty regularly and haven't had any problems)

yes. spot on.

care to elaborate? i really generally defer to your opinion on fashion, omc, but my favorite piece in my wardrobe right now is ndg's deconstructed deck hoodie ( http://www.nomdeguerre.net/lookbook/fw07_lookbook/images/fw07_lookbook1_page_13.jpg )

and i can attest to the quality of the materials, construction and fit of the garment, as well as the other pieces i tried on at context.

im also looking forward to many of ndg's pieces for s/s08. i talked to sam at context about the pieces from ndg ss08 they bought and he said the price point would be coming down (but ndg hasn't relocated manufacturing as far as i understand, this is a little suspect)

though ive never seen any ervell pieces in person, i imagine i would still probably have difficulty describing ndg pieces as "soulless" in comparison

how do ervell's prices compare? im expecting the rain jacket(s) from ss08 to ballpark from $400-500, if not cheaper with this alleged lowering of prices.

ps ware robokop patrik ervull

with the exception of trousers (ndg denim tends to range in/arund $200), those are almost dollar for dollar the same as ndg

but what makes it soulless? if anything, i think ndg's ss08 demonstrates an ability to imbue a sense of geographic identity with their conceptualization (see people's comments on the collection being divided between "americana" and "cape cod")

and ervell's ss08 seems to do just the opposite: slim tailoring, minimizing details and patterns (with the exception of that sweater) and earth tones lend a degree of anonymity to the collection

not to say that one is better than the other... ervell's jackets and suits look fantastic

• 3 months later...

my ideas regarding NDG being soulless have a lot to do with some personal experience with the people behind the brand and people who know the people behind the brand, their transformation from what they were into what they are now, and the quickness with which they tacked on an extra 75 to 100 dollars on every item they produced not more than a month after being profiled in Gentleman's Quarterly magazine.

the brand puts out competent designs and well-made garments, and, i respect their business acumen, but for some time now, i've been put off.

if their prices drop and the quality stays the same, that might totally reverse the sour taste in my mouth. that would indicate to me that they're willing to take a sliver off the top of their margins in order to keep the brand's core intact whilst making it more affordable and perhaps attract an even wider customer base. that would be interesting to see happen...

i'm not really keeping my fingers crossed though.

Interesting perspective, OMC.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I've heard that the prices won't be dropping, but in fact will be increased due to rising transportation costs from making garments in Japan. For example, F/W jackets are looking to be $900+, or so I've heard. I hope I'm wrong.