The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

If you're going to sandpaper, make sure you've got a really soft-grade sandpaper available. Using any old sandpaper will cause not only a grainy-looking fade but higher, sharper contrast than you would like. Also, consider rubbing sawdust, sand, dirt & rocks on your jeans as an alternative or in conjunction to sandpaper. I did a whole whack of shit to my RRDS out of lack of patience (including tea/coffee stains) and in pictures you can't really tell a major difference between artificial and natural fading, but up close it's a different story. Just be mindful about how much your jeans cost you and whether or not you can afford to make mistakes with it. They're just jeans after all...

Please don't sand those jeans. Sanding causes the fiber to tear, whereas normal wear usually only causes the indigo to fall off.

well then...given the overwhelming preponderance of negatory responses, I will not even consider sanding the okinawas.

on a related front, does anyone who has the premium edo ai's have any signs of wear yet? I've worn them as heavily as my okinawas, and the only sign of wear is a slight fading in the crotch area? I'm really curious to see how they'll look worn in, but suspect it will be a long battle.

Most of the pics you see of "great wears/fades" are of jeans that have been worn for very long periods, or had very hard wear. Like, daily wear for a year. Patience is all part of this game. Further, as often pointed out. Long lasting/stuborn fading, is likely a sign of quality in the denim and indigo process.

I have found that liking the jeans in their dark state is a perfect recipe for them to begin fading. It really is a mental thing. I really like my jeans dark. So naturally when they start to fade I notice it more, but if you are looking for drastic wear you will never see it, because it is a day to day process and each day looks like the day before, but with the slightest bit of change... something you won't notice if you are looking for holy cows, whiskers (moustaches), and honeycombs (fishnets). I tend to like my jeans as they are at the moment... not how they are going to be.

I have found that liking the jeans in their dark state is a perfect recipe for them to begin fading. It really is a mental thing. I really like my jeans dark. So naturally when they start to fade I notice it more, but if you are looking for drastic wear you will never see it, because it is a day to day process and each day looks like the day before, but with the slightest bit of change... something you won't notice if you are looking for holy cows, whiskers (moustaches), and honeycombs (fishnets). I tend to like my jeans as they are at the moment... not how they are going to be.

bump..i tend to like my denim dark also but when i see that is fading i can only imagine what it will be like after a certain amount of time/wear.

Cross post from other SF while this was down:

Here are my RRDG at 10.5 months. Worn daily for 6 or 7 months, then pretty hard for a month then not much action since. I got a pair of Jims and Eternals. The Nudies are both waist 34 and I lost weight, so they do not really fit unfortunately. Lighting was the best my photography ignorant ass could do sans natural light. Pretty close though I would say.

img1228rp3.jpg

img1230ux6.jpg

img1231kq2.jpg

img1232kq9.jpg

img1233ge7.jpg

These pics are pre-wash. They are just finishing up drying now, and I think that leaving jeans so long before washing is a mistake. They got frayed in places like behind the knees on some 'combs, and the butt. Where I cuffed them is pretty much a giant hole that needs to be patched.

2xb3.jpg

ok... not a full pictorial, but heres the lap fading on my canes. gave them a hand wash this weekend because the smelled like death. also trying to avoid the buttons from rusting much further. minor honeycomb fading, but the creases have not moved any, so it will come. this is about a month and a half.

the contrast is about what is shown here, but they are darker... my camera sucks. these havent really lost much indigo besides the parts that you can see the contrast in here... the bottom of the legs are still nice and dark... vertical fading coming thru too but i dont have the resolution to show it properly.... sorry guys.

2xb3.jpg

ok... not a full pictorial, but heres the lap fading on my canes. gave them a hand wash this weekend because the smelled like death. also trying to avoid the buttons from rusting much further. minor honeycomb fading, but the creases have not moved any, so it will come. this is about a month and a half.

the contrast is about what is shown here, but they are darker... my camera sucks. these havent really lost much indigo besides the parts that you can see the contrast in here... the bottom of the legs are still nice and dark... vertical fading coming thru too but i dont have the resolution to show it properly.... sorry guys.

you (or your jeans at least) are going to be on that samurai website cheap.

i wish i had the funds to play. its ok i really want a pair of skulls anyway.

you (or your jeans at least) are going to be on that samurai website cheap.

i wish i had the funds to play. its ok i really want a pair of skulls anyway.

i dont really have the funds... but im gonna do it anyways... the experience is worth it to me... and the 2 pairs of jeans for 215$.

She knows.

She's very interested- gets quite excited each time I bring home a new pair. Sometimes she notices that I'm wearing new jeans before I tell her.

She also knows the Nudie pocket stitch- both me and mom have Nudies.

I showed her the post and now she wants to check the responses - so thanks for all the kind words everyone. It puts a big smile on her face.