The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

A product of my experience with different denims, I suppose. I wouldn't equate this with speculation. Though I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule, I think it's pretty safe to say that the majority of these higher end japanese denims will far outlast APCs given the same amount of wear. I'm sure there will be naysayers, but my guess is the people who might choose to speak for APC and against those other options would mostly consist of those who have no experience with the higher quality stuff, or maybe some people who haven't even washed their APCs yet to find how little denim there actually is underneath all that starch.

Doesn't matter anyway. To each his own. But for those of you who haven't tried the good stuff, I suggest saving a few more bucks next time instead of buying another pair that lose their color after 2 washes.

APCs hold up fine, Japanese stuff doesnt necessarily hold any better, its just dyed better.

Naked & Famous uses high quality denim imported from Japan, only the sewing is done in Canada. The idea behind the label was to essentially produce a good quality jean at an affordable price. There were no costs cut in the denim used, but there are in other areas such as the sewing and hardware. This is especially evident in the older last season models.

The denim AFAI can tell is not really very different (quality-wise) from that used on many of the other reputable companies out there using Japanese selvage denim (Jean shop or Imperial spring to mind). The newer models look better, with overall better finishing. Still the same hardware, but at least the inseams are now felled and there's chain-stitching throughout the jean. And the range of denims used is actually pretty damn nice, especially in the 18oz and 21oz weight fabrics.

IMO they seem to surpass APC in quality due to the denim used and the cheap prices alone. With prices at $120 for their 14oz selvage, ranging to $150 for the 18oz and $190 for 21oz I think they're a pretty good deal. Especially if you're looking at an entry level jean or just something to fuck around with. I'm currently working on a pair of the 21oz, so we'll see how those hold up and fade.

naked & famous sucky sucky, at least the ones below 18oz.

viv, that was a great post. It's a completely subjective argument, but I've got to disagree with you that indigo retention is not a measure of quality. One of the most attractive qualities my higher quality denim has is the stark contrast between the darkest parts of the jeans and the lightest parts. This is something that you can achieve on APCs after maybe a year or so of wear, but it only lasts for a couple washes before those non-worn parts start losing their color too, and the overall contrast of the jeans goes down. This is not the case on my "higher quality" denims, and my point can be seen all throughout this entire thread. It takes a LOT of washes to turn a pair of Samurais into that washed-out light blue color. Most people's jeans here never make it to that stage.

^^^True dat. Fading properties, at least for me, is one of reasons for judging denim. However, if price is the benchmark for quality, then Red Monkey Jeans must trump everything Samurai or SDA ever made.

A well-made pair of jeans for me is:

1) Fabric (the hand, weave, and visual aspects like color)

2) Construction (I don't care if its cotton thread or poly, but the sewing should be tight and neat. The thread should be substantial.)

3) Quality metal hardware. (none of that flimsy aluminum)

4) Fading properties

5) Fit

I don't care where its made, as long as it hold these standards, I'm good to go.

my guess is the people who might choose to speak for APC and against those other options would mostly consist of those who have no experience with the higher quality stuff
Dior MIJ Black 19cm

Dior MIJ Blue 19cm

DIOR MII Dauphin 19cm

APC PS Black

APC New Cure Faded Blue

APC Olive Trousers

Supreme Black Cord

Supreme Khaki Cord

Haha. I like those quotes.

I do believe the price jump from brands like APC and Nudie (Which is now grossly overpriced) to various well known Japanese brands is well worth it.

The quality in the denim is mostly what it is all about.

Lets just say most prominent denim brands have decent denim construction. The difference is the quality of the denim itself.

The subtle variations you get in a faded pair of Japanese denim is just unrivaled.

The variety of types of denim used and the interesting things that Japanese denim companies are always pushing out are what keeps me coming back for the higher price.

Some brands are obviously more well known than others for their superior construction and ability to last for years on end (See Samurai and Sugarcane). I think the only argument that should be made is that on average Japanese denim has a better construction then most of the fashionable denim being sold to the mainstream.

I just washed these last week after I spilled some hot sauce all over them. I think I'm retiring these now cause I want to keep the suttle fades and the darker hue of the jeans now. For my first pair of raw/selvedge/expensive denim, I'm pretty happy.

5da77fe3fd29beeaea9b61915cbd222a.jpg

OK SIR.

Where did you get these? I love my RRL's but the pair I have was a rich blue, probably one-wash that I got from Bergdorf with a fit that I can't identify.

If you got these from the RRL store, I'll head down there this weekend and check them out, because I want this fit.

I've had my APC's, PRPS, and RRDS's... I'm tired of them and I really want to buy a pair of nice denim... after reading shit for a couple days.. (havent looked at denim in about a year).. I still can't decide what to go with.. I want something decently heavy.. heavier than what I've had.. slim, tapered, and just plain out fucking sexy.. Something I can work on for a while.. All these other raw jeans I have, just feel fucking shitty.. all thin and what-not. What do you suggest?

Here are more detail pics of these LVC 501 66 .... (seems like the painted arcs disappeared)

um. the 66 doesn't have painted arc's. you're thinking of the 44 cut

I've had my APC's, PRPS, and RRDS's... I'm tired of them and I really want to buy a pair of nice denim... after reading shit for a couple days.. (havent looked at denim in about a year).. I still can't decide what to go with.. I want something decently heavy.. heavier than what I've had.. slim, tapered, and just plain out fucking sexy.. Something I can work on for a while.. All these other raw jeans I have, just feel fucking shitty.. all thin and what-not. What do you suggest?

PRPS is leaps and bounds above RRDS and APC's. Cotton, denim, dying and construction is top notch. Don't believe just because assholes wear PRPS, that doesn't make it a quality product. My PRPS are better than my contest samurai's imo.

X-post from apc thread ---

washed my old apc rescues today..

sorry for shitty cell pics..

and the fadesz are lame.... but i really like the color.

Still Damp:

d8741af0.jpg

aa78b750.jpg

hanging up..

49009acb.jpg