The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

^Word? I thought the New Standards were supposed to be a little looser, but I've never actually tried a pair on. Interesting...

I'm glad the honeycombs don't match, I think it looks a little over the top when peopl have these crazy starched webs on the back of their legs, it doesn't look anymore authentic than it does when people use their fingers.

So which of those jeans (Straight Sven or Sugarcane 47) is more like the Standard. Or should I be thinking of something else entirely?

Edited by arem on Dec 20, 2005 at 03:37 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Not sanded. Creases were only rubbed over the course of many, many months on the thighs, starched every few days. I would also rub the back of the knees with my feet more than a few times a day. I've worn them pretty much every day for 7+ months as stated. The creases are in fact much darker than the pics would indicate. There are more than a few people on this board who've seen me wearing them in person who would tell you the same. The effect is exagerrated due to the flash & wrinkling/starch. The creases don't look half as light in person as they do in the photos.

Edited by Circa on Dec 29, 2005 at 02:41 AM

Typically the thing that sets off the sandpapered-alarm is when the creases along the thighs and honeycombs have faded more than the knees or thighs. I personally think it looks unnatural. I would take a dark piece of denim and rub the thighs so that the fading is more balanced.

In any case they're great looking.

Thanks dudes. Like I said the pics are somewhat misleading. The jean is actually a lot more beat up looking, with a slight shine from wear. The thighs actually do have quite a bit of color loss compared to the rest of the jean (probably the most), and like I said the whiskers seem a lot more pronounced in the photos. The pic with me wearing them is still fairly close to what they actually look like even now.

Thanks dudes. Like I said the pics are somewhat misleading. The jean is really a lot more beat up looking, with a slight shine from wear. The thighs actually do have quite a bit of color loss compared to the rest of the jean (probably the most), and like I said the whiskers seem a lot more pronounced in the photos. The pic with me wearing them is still fairly close to what they actually look like even now.

Quote: is that the real color of the jeans?

isn't colour always light dependant?

those photos are taken under strip light [no flash] they do appear darker than in sunlight.

blu.jpg

these photos are in shade.

NZ has very bright sunlight, [all our art history is about that] so in direct sunlight they appear light blue.

anyway all the washes were hot [don't know temp], first in machine at 2 months, then the other washes by hand [have to wear gloves for heat], just agitated enough to get to dirt out [about 10 mins] and then rinse under the shower dry in shade. I use a gentle wool detergent.

teisco.gif

Sugarcanes washed 3 times (I think)... about 4.5 - 5 months old.

sc4monthsfront7bl.jpg

sc4monthslap4wf.jpg

sc4monthsback8xh.jpg

Sorry for the large pictures.

Them jeans is lookin good. The denim is still nice and dark with high contrast fading. Good job.

Thanks y'all

Quote: any hand rubbing on the inside leg creases? i'm doing a bit of that on my RRDS, coming along nicely

I tend to dry off my hands on my legs at work. Also when my hands get really dirty i typically use my jeans as a hand towel.

Also, the jeans really began to fit nicely after a good warm wash. I wish i had warm washed them from the get go, rather than cold soaking them. The shrinkage was drastic inbetween the cold soak and first warm wash.