The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

x-post from Momotaro-thread

My 0701: 2,5 years, 5 washes

The crotch has blown out so it had to be sewn up. It looks a bit overdone but while wearing it isn't noticeable because it blends in quite good.

The cotton stitching also tends to snap here and there. Luckily, most of the times that was an easy fix.

Momo_FLF_2014-02-04_zps25e7bba4.jpg

Momo_FLB_2014-02-04_zpsc090f6cf.jpg

4 month old 3sixteen+34bsp denim. Really happy with the cut of these and difference in denim from my other pairs. The underlying brown weft with the electric blue starting blasting through is really cool and giving it a vintage/ grungy look. I wear these off and on , not to work as i usually do but in the spring i plan on wearing them to work 3-4 times a day of 8hours a day of construction/ carpentry work. Enjoy the teaser.

3sixteen_2614_zps15c24d29.jpg

Edited by drew_breeze

Used to lurk this place years back. Bought a pair of petit standards back in high school and decided to take some pics since I don't wear them anymore. Only denim I have is a double black pair of 3sixteens I wear for work. But anyway, here are my APCs with about two years worth of light wear and a few washes.

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

Edited by hooper

been posting fits of my 5 jeans in rotation at the moment. i was trying to work out how the cuts compare to each other. here they are in a photogrid for easier comparison:

12473084304_cd27b0d61f_z.jpg

12475087304_9debaf8c25_z.jpg

in the past three years i've consciously tried to buy jeans in the 3 basic/classic post-war cuts, 47-55-66. in the above pics, clockwise starting from the one on the far left, the jeans are:

1. sugar cane hawaii (47 cut).
2. studio d'artisan x double volante champloo (sda standard 103 cut = modified 47 cut (as most denim sages suggest))
3. mister freedom california 54 (55 cut)
4. fullcount 1108 (66 cut/modified 47 cut?--jury's still out on this one apparently)
5. dry bones dp-580/red-d in self edge (modern, slim, slightly tapered, 66-inspired cut) 

i don't know how close these jeans resemble the ur-47-55-66 levi's cuts, but i suppose they do conform in some ways to the stereotypes (47 straight, loose-ish, diaper-butt prone, 66 slim-ish, tapers a little, etc).

what do you guys think? within this spectrum of fits/cuts, which is your personal favourite: 47, 55, or 66?

Edited by oomslokop

Oomslokop - my personal favourites of the above fits are the SDA and the Dry Bones. The Fullcount I suspect you may have been able to take a size down and achieve what I feel is closer to the intended fit of the 1108 (pretty slim straight). Great collection you have though.

Edited by Sugar Mountain

Oomslokop, of those fits on you, I think the Dry Bones '66 cut fits the best. I also love the fit on the Mister Freedom 54 from the front, but I don't know what happened with the seat fit.

For myself, I prefer the '47, '54 and '22. The '66 is too slim for my liking, but that all has to do with body type, personal preference, etc.

Thanks for the comparison shots. It's nice to see a handful of solid standards side by side.