The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

^^ well, the pairs have been washed multiple times or already came one washed. I feel like an early wash makes the fabric shrink and sets the roping so it will wear off in the exponated areas.That's also why the effects are more pronounced in the inner hem, as you got more friction between the shoes and the fabric.

It could be less on heavier denim or denim that doesn't touch water often. The fabric is not draping in forms of roping then. But that's just my guess... Thanks for the nice comments.

Edited by Max Power

Quoted from Ringring (SuFu Encyclopedia)

hems - certain chainstitching machines, such as the old union specials, roll the hems. this is a very different process to folding the hems up twice over, pressing them, and edge stitching them. the hemming is done in one process and in a circular motion, creating a slight torque at the hem. many times the hem will be twisted, so that the side and inside leg seams don't completely match up. this, added to the rolled hem and the chainstitching v denim shrinkage, gives the roping effect that's much sought after amongst denimnerds.

You can have a look at my 500XX in the Heavy Weight Contest. They also are made of the current 19 oz denim, that, in my opinion, has a little more slubs but fades a bit more blueish than grey. But as they are nowhere near the 710s, I can't judge yet. But the differences should be minimal, as b_F said.

Edited by Max Power

I can't figure out how you always get such crazy contrast Max, I wear my FHs almost every day and walk around a lot, up and down stairs, ride my bicycle, move boxes and heavy stuff around, squat and stand up countless times each day... and I have barely any combs to speak of. 

Maybe I just need to start taking my photos indoors, with camera flash. :D

I like indoor photos better, but, at least in real life, contrast is more pronounced when you're standing outside in sunny weather. but I don't get the white balance right then and the whole jeans look too bright. Regarding the fading - it helps to concentrate on one pair and wear them for a while before the first wash. The rest seems to be personal lifestyle or habits.

Edited by Max Power

I find Indoor shots w/sufficient available light take more accurate jeans photo.  i have better control of the lighting condition__ flash flattens the image & washes out the crease details.

With re to fading/developing righteous combs, i also agree w/Max. Concentrating on breaking in a pair at a time gives best+quickest result, IMO. 'Wish I could follow that rule myself. I don't have Max's focus & will power.

besides getting tired of wearing same effing dirty/smelly  jeans for months on end, I get denim anxiety if I don't rotate.  for me, it's like I'm missing out on the other good stuff.

But, what I lack in focus, I make up in patience. I just keep rotating them, knowing fully well that one day it'll get "there;)

Edited by BrownMetallic

some ropings on mine.

Momo 701 vs FC 1108C

MomoVsFCselvSUN.jpg

PBJ 007 vs Sam 710

aul.JPG

Kapital Cisco

vez7.jpg

PRPS '55

prpsRT.jpg

Denime 66

denime66hemedge.jpg

+1 repped. I had all my denim hemmed with a union special but i cant get nearly the roping these do! the only ones are my flat heads because i dipped the hem after i had them hemmed to get them started

^here you go__ xposting from styleforum:

'55 cut :

PRPS '04 prod'n :: 14oz Zimbabwe :: su1 @34 [couldve TTS to 33]
prps3.jpg

current measurements : w= 34, ins= 32, f/r= 12, b/r= 16, u/t= 13, kn= 10, l/o= 9.5

PRPSfit.jpg

prpsTrax2.jpg
Edited by BrownMetallic

Samurai 710

wogz.jpg

6c58.jpg

Apologies for quoting a page-old image, but holy shit Max rejoice.png. This Samurai 710 is easily my favorite pair of worn-in jeans on this site. Everything about them is just banderas.png.  I need to use corny emoticons to express my sentiments about these sams without coming off as a dork.

Edited by rosarkar