The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

You can get crotch blowout if you have big thighs that rub together, even if the jeans aren't that tight. It's friction, pure and simple. Conversely, a skinny fella can wear very tight jeans without a blowout because his legs don't rub and there's no friction on the denim.

The crotch blow out is because they're a little loose there, so there are 3 creases which rub because they stick up more I guess if that explains it so that's what's caused it.

The strange thing is that the thighs aren't really tight and I don't have big thighs, it's just like i said where the denim has creased and rubbed against itself.

They are a tagged size 31 when I usually wear a size 30/29 and I gave them a cold soak when I first got them and they've been worn since then. I guess I should've soaked them again?

The denim is really abrasive though, when new they literally feel sandpaper like with all the slubs but hey it's all part of wearing raw denim and variety is the spice of life! I have to say I love the texture of them even though they've softened up a huge amount but the character of the denim is great.

*** UPDATE AFTER 3 AND HALF YEARS *** (see below for pics at 2.5 years, and 5mths)

Hey guys, well another year has gone by - and my jeans still haven't been washed ;)

Only have my iPhone here at the moment, not my decent camera - but I am going to wash the jeans today. This extra year (from 2.5 years to 3.5 years) has taken a little bit more of a toll on my jeans. Both knees have had patching, but I had it done by this nice Russian seamstress who did a great job.

I have a couple of TINY holes in some of the creases, just from being creased for so long hehe.

I'll be getting my other camera back in the next day or so, so I will take some photos of the washed product and post back then.

Oh, one more thing. My wife says they are started to stink a bit, which is why I am washing. But hey, 3.5 years is long enough I think ;) hehe. At 2.5 years she was not saying this!

*** UPDATE AFTER 2 AND HALF YEARS ***

Studio D'Artisan D1002

Ok, so I thought I would update you guys. I last posted photos of my jeans on 22 Feb 2009... after they had their first wash. They have not been washed since then, altho may be washing soon ;) They don't smell tho.

Here is what they look like now, and below is what they looked like 2.5 years ago.

frontn1.jpg

frontn2.jpg

backn1.jpg

And at 5mths...

Here is an update to my post below: Studio D'Artisan D1002's .. about 5months, one initial soak and one wash just recently. These aren't that easy to fade ;)

front-n.jpg

front-m.jpg

back-n.jpg

Edited by trueblue

You can get crotch blowout if you have big thighs that rub together, even if the jeans aren't that tight. It's friction, pure and simple. Conversely, a skinny fella can wear very tight jeans without a blowout because his legs don't rub and there's no friction on the denim.

The crotch blow out is because they're a little loose there, so there are 3 creases which rub because they stick up more I guess if that explains it so that's what's caused it.

The strange thing is that the thighs aren't really tight and I don't have big thighs, it's just like i said where the denim has creased and rubbed against itself.

They are a tagged size 31 when I usually wear a size 30/29 and I gave them a cold soak when I first got them and they've been worn since then. I guess I should've soaked them again?

with big thighs, the inseam area below the crotch usually gets chewed-up/mangled from the friction/agitation produced by the inner thighs constantly rubbing against each other.

but, the fabric & stitching @inseam seemed well intact.

'must then be due to the starch in the denim producing sharp crease edges [that frayed], as xEnvy mentioned. also, prolonged wear [w/most of the starch still on the denim] will hasten putrefaction & weaken the yarns

Edited by BrownMetallic

prolonged wear [w/most of the starch still on the denim] will hasten putrefaction & weaken the yarns

premature crotchblow due to starch-induced denim putrefaction? sounds like a carcass song! :)

Edited by oomslokop