The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

Hi denim experts, I'm deciding between flathead/skulls/pure blue japan. Looking for some straight slim or slim cuts. Which out of the 3 has best fading properties (if any) or any recommendations on your own experience? TIA.

I actually want some overdyed ironhearts because the fading on those should be better than just normal indigo. Look into those. But out of your choices I would say try to get some PBJs and get those purplish fades.

Hi denim experts, I'm deciding between flathead/skulls/pure blue japan. Looking for some straight slim or slim cuts. Which out of the 3 has best fading properties (if any) or any recommendations on your own experience? TIA.

imo, flathead and it's not even close

Depends on what kind of denim you want. I wouldn't get Skulls as their quality is what it used to be. PBJs are slubby and come in regular indigo, warp and weft both indigo, black, as well as with purple weft. Flatheads are known to fade faster than other brands. They also have arcs on the pockets.

imo, flathead and it's not even close

now wait just a minute there...Flatheads will definitely give you the most prominent, most noticeable fading but that's not necessarily what everyone wants. Sorry to all their fans but of all the brands here, I've always felt FHs had the least attractive fades. It's fast and furious if that's what you're going for but if you want a nicer, more natural, more subtle fade, I'd go with the other brands.

^don't quote me on this, but along with flat heads samurais are some of the fastest fading jeans as well. I don't know what you want, but all jeans have good fading properties imo. I don't have any experience with pbj, but I can tell you I hated the denim when I had a pair of skulls.

Don't know how to put it but I would also look into some other brands unless theirs a specific cut you are going for. I would however reccomend a pair of pbj xx-007 deep indigos the fades I have seen are sick.

now wait just a minute there...Flatheads will definitely give you the most prominent, most noticeable fading but that's not necessarily what everyone wants. Sorry to all their fans but of all the brands here, I've always felt FHs had the least attractive fades. It's fast and furious if that's what you're going for but if you want a nicer, more natural, more subtle fade, I'd go with the other brands.

i shouldn't have to wait a minute to give my personal opinion (or did you not see the "imo"?); also, the "fast and furious" (which i take to mean high-contrast) fades commonly seen on flatheads aren't solely attributable to the denim but how people wear(incl fit) and wash them, too.

as far as not being "natural" i don't think the fades shown in the images here (http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=210) or on the WT pair are UN-natural, though i admit i don't quite understand why/how people use that standard here anyway...

(but speaking of pbj, one of the brands you recommended as a subtler/more natural alternative; what about their super-skinny fits, purple weft, or 24oz? natural? subtle?)

^don't quote me on this, but along with flat heads samurais are some of the fastest fading jeans as well.

Samurai's have that rep, but one look at the Heavyweight Denim Competition thread would seem to indicate otherwise. Most of the Samurai contestants (including me) seem to be getting our asses handed to us by Team Iron Heart, even though Iron Heart has a reputation for being difficult to fade (at least that's my understanding). I think that it's mostly up to the wearer.

edit: haha, I guess I just quoted you on that. :D

It all depends on how the jeans are worn on a day to day basis. Samurai denim doesn't fade fast at all, at least in comparison to other Japanese brands. I'm going on three years in mine, and I've seen pairs here more faded in under a year.

It does all come down to how hard you wear your jeans. But most of the IHs in the HDC are the 634SRs which is the 'raw' version of the 634S. I have seen maybe 1 or 2 pairs of 634S that were heavily faded, but I can guarantee they are some stubborn jeans. Most of the SRs that I have seen look great, also IMO Samurais 710 model probably shows the best results in terms of heavy fading from Samurai.

I would say that Samurai and Flat Head start out the fastest, but IHs will eventually peak and begin to fade heavily.