The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

Gave these their second full-on wash, at 9 months' wear.

dec10washed.jpg

As someone who had previously made fun of people addicted to fast-wearing denim, I freely admit these have driven me a ittle crazy. The stitching is starting to go, but they still look like they've been worn maybe three months. One quirk is that they show little fading with wear - yet are really susceptible to marbling in the wash. THey marbled last time; this time I washed them right way round, as they were do dirty, but took them out before the spin. Even so, they got lots of new marbling lines. I actually quite like them, it's different, but it bugs me I had so little control over the outcome. that said, they are some of the most beautifully-made jeans I've owned. You couldn't get more of a contrast than to, say, a pair of Sammies.

Check out the marbling up the left leg in particular.

dec10washedrear.jpg

Now, this year's rotation. Clockwise from left, the SDA, LVC 47, LVC 1901, LVC 55. All these jeans got their second full-on wash this years, between them there's over three years' wear in this lot. Contrast on this photo is probably more accurate than in the previous ones.

Note how the SDA are very similar to the 47, particularly the graininess of the denim, with the weft yarn still visible. The 55 is very different, inkier (as is the LVC 44).

SDAplusthree2.jpg

These all go back in the denim box for the upcoming ROY year.

Sorry dude, those SDAs have been ruined (in my opinion, obviously).

I'm pretty sure there's a difference between marbling and vertical creasing from using a washer and not turning the denim inside out.

Also, unless your pictures are way off, it's pretty disingenous to say that you couldn't get more of a contrast from a pair of Sams.

I'd put those at the very bottom of your denim box :P you got so many graily pairs no reason those ever need to see the light of day again.

Sorry dude, those SDAs have been ruined (in my opinion, obviously).

I'm pretty sure there's a difference between marbling and vertical creasing from using a washer and not turning the denim inside out.

Also, unless your pictures are way off, it's pretty disingenous to say that you couldn't get more of a contrast from a pair of Sams.

I'd put those at the very bottom of your denim box :P you got so many graily pairs no reason those ever need to see the light of day again.

Ha, fair enough! THey're not my most classic fade. I took more care to avoid creases than with my other pairs, but obviously not enough.

I was saying that these couldn't be more different to a pair of Sams, which I think is true.

I don't think grail is necessarily about contrast - I preferred my 1901 before they were really high contrast. I like the SDA because they're different, although they've been a lot of work. My 201 are somewhat similar.

I actually quite like them, it's different, but it bugs me I had so little control over the outcome. that said, they are some of the most beautifully-made jeans I've owned

I dig the marbling. More reflective of the life lived in the jeans and less about recreating grail fadezz seen on the Internet. I also like the frustration of not being able to control the process. Their own beast.

The photos, however, scare me off of SDA. I'd been toying with the idea before the ROY joints fell in my lap, but I'll never crock those. Not man enough.

I dig the marbling. More reflective of the life lived in the jeans and less about recreating grail fadezz seen on the Internet. I also like the frustration of not being able to control the process. Their own beast.

I don't see how those vertical creases "reflect" the life PaulT lives. Duder has more amazing pairs than I can count and they don't have those lines because it's the washer that did it, not his legs. For instance, if you hand wash those creases will never appear. If you wash inside out, they will almost never appear.

Repeating myself, but there's clearly a difference between crocking/marbling and "washer burn."

edit: Also Paul, wasn't trying to insinuate grail = contrast, if that's how it came off.

I'm sure you'll destroy the roys. Wash those inside out though!

I know what you're saying Paul.

After mine went through a wash, the first thing I noticed was that marbling. It didn't happen when I'd soaked previously. Something to do with the agitation or soap...

These are now about 2.5 years old, and haven't marbled as much probably because they've only been washed once. Maybe I'll just soak from here on out. Other than that, I love the fit and the denim. They were one of my first pairs and I'm just a big SDA fanboy anyway:)

nwy7aw.jpg

24dpyle.jpg

As someone who had previously made fun of people addicted to fast-wearing denim, I freely admit these have driven me a ittle crazy. The stitching is starting to go, but they still look like they've been worn maybe three months. One quirk is that they show little fading with wear - yet are really susceptible to marbling in the wash. THey marbled last time; this time I washed them right way round, as they were do dirty, but took them out before the spin. Even so, they got lots of new marbling lines. I actually quite like them, it's different, but it bugs me I had so little control over the outcome. that said, they are some of the most beautifully-made jeans I've owned. You couldn't get more of a contrast than to, say, a pair of Sammies.

I have always said this. I think my old SDA 103's were the HARDEST jean I have ever had to try and fade. Some people disagree, but everytime I see a pair of well worn SDA's on here, i always plus rep because I've been there, know how hard it is. I really wish mcflip's pair were on here again. Although I doubt he's even active anymore. I think klue has a nice pair.