The Evolution of Jeans: Pictures, Scones and Tea

Guest bed

....how hard you wear the jeans is much more important than how often you wash. jeans fade due to wear and abuse, not water!

I dunno about that.. how light your jeans are, alll around, within a year pretty much shows they're fading in the non wear areas as much as in the wear areas

Somebody rep those FC's and WH for me, both looking great!!

Yeah right? I just used my day's allotment of rep on two pages of this thread. And more than happy to. Amazing stuff.

I think we're seeing the critical mass of five years of hard denimhead work.

Here are some more pics of my 710s. I showed them to my grandmother for repairs and she remarked something about how she hadn't seen selvedge since my great grandfather brought home rolls of fabric when he owned a mill? Ha, love my family. She then busted out her old ass sewing machine and darned them up for me.

The lap is still dirty. I've washed them twice and can't get the tint out. I'm hoping once I can the contrast will show through more. These pictures don't do them justice, just snapped from my iPhone with shitty ceiling lighting.

th_IMG_0215.jpg th_IMG_0213.jpg th_IMG_0212.jpg th_IMG_0211.jpg th_IMG_0210.jpg th_IMG_0209.jpg th_IMG_0208.jpg

Here are some more pics of my 710s. I showed them to my grandmother for repairs and she remarked something about how she hadn't seen selvedge since my great grandfather brought home rolls of fabric when he owned a mill? Ha, love my family. She then busted out her old ass sewing machine and darned them up for me.

The lap is still dirty. I've washed them twice and can't get the tint out. I'm hoping once I can the contrast will show through more. These pictures don't do them justice, just snapped from my iPhone with shitty ceiling lighting.

Dude, I wouldn't worry about the tint one bit. Those things look ridiculous right now. The tint adds character.

Took some pics of my sammies.

Here are the 21 oz. I have had them for well over a year, but they really only get worn about 3 times a week, if that.

samurai21ozfront.jpg

samurai21ozback.jpg

rustedhardware21ozsammi.png

And then some of my old 505s. Love the denim on these slubby but not over the top slubby.

samurai505front.jpg

samurai505back.jpg

samurai505zipper.jpg

Samurai S510XX-24oz

History: Pre-ordered these through BiG, so I guess I started them in August 2009. Wore for about 2 months then did the smartest thing ever and had them knee-down tapered to match 710s (thanks, Denim Doctors!). Worn 90% of days since then. Didn't keep track of soaks/washes... maybe 3 soaks total 2 handwashes (just washed).

Pictures: Taken indoors; window light on a cloudy day. Full disclaimer I tweaked contrast because the weather is making everything look stupid grey.

Comments/Impressions: 24oz is definitely interesting stuff; I'd say there are a number of pros and cons that aren't necessarily apparent until you wear em down a bit. These were super stiff for the first 6 months and kept ALL creases even after being taken off, leading to more abrasion and some cool high contrast fades. On the flip side, the jeans formed a weird crease on either side that came from the factory flatness and simply lying the jeans flat often, and a weird factory wrinkle/crease on the back left leg never came out and actually faded...

r9hgdw.png

i5dr8g.png

You'll notice that the creases that come from bending your knees (connecting knee fade to honeycombs) are pretty exaggerated. As I said before, the denim held all the creases pretty much perfectly so once I stopped bending my knee there would still be a ridiculous sharp crease from the bend that would rub against whatever.

236yr5.png2nrn2gg.png

Here you can make out the "lying flat" crease that I was talking about below the knee.

zwetmv.png

14avkgj.png

21cc8pi.png

o8ynp3.png

219e8w7.png

jzfres.jpg

34hcac9.jpg

Tab is surprisingly intact, I think because as pocket denim thickness increases it creates more space in which the tab is protected from sitting abrasion.

I'll probably keep on with these until the 24oz LHTs come out.

A few more not quite ready for evo, evo pics. Couldn't resist posting these two. The LHT has become so soft over the last couple of weeks. Perfect mix of comfort and durability for people that actually work in their "workwear":)

IMG_9772.jpg

IMG_9785.jpg

some surgeries i did to my jeans yesterday

back pocket of my wh660. stitched with nudie thread.

DSC01866.jpg

DSC01864.jpg

a couple of wounds on my naked and famous weird guys.

DSC01859.jpg

DSC01860.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

DSC01862.jpg

i call it, medal of honor.

A few more not quite ready for evo, evo pics. Couldn't resist posting these two. The LHT has become so soft over the last couple of weeks. Perfect mix of comfort and durability for people that actually work in their "workwear":)

IMG_9772.jpg

IMG_9785.jpg

Gorgeous stuff. So explain to me - I'm a LHT novice - LHT develops less vertical falling and more 'horizontal falling'?

Gorgeous stuff. So explain to me - I'm a LHT novice - LHT develops less vertical falling and more 'horizontal falling'?

LHT denim has a softer hand from the get-go. So naturally, the creasing doesn't develop as sharply as it can with RHT denim. LHT usually ends up with a less contrasty fade in comparison.

LHT denim has a softer hand from the get-go. So naturally, the creasing doesn't develop as sharply as it can with RHT denim. LHT usually ends up with a less contrasty fade in comparison.

That's true - altho I'd describe it as less three-dimensional rather than less contrasty - using photo terminololgy, you'd say there's less micro-contrast. The LHT look is exacerbated with Sanforized fabric, and explains the main difference in look between Lee-style and levi's style jeans. With STF RHT denim, as on Leiv's you generally get a much specklier "salt and pepper" fade - with Lee-style LHT Sanforized jeans, the look is much smoother, with less differential within the worn areas, and less grain within the slightly-worn areas.

Many diehards believe the Levi's style fade is better, because it's more complex, I like both. I think these pics give a rough idea...

1955croponewash.jpg

Leefrontdetail.jpg