Designer/brand name pronounciation

the breaks

what helped me was the shirt that said comme des fuckdown. except replace fuckdown with garso. and give it your most convincing french accent.

Where to cop?

Anybody know the pronounciation of Hussein Chalayan? I assume Hussein is like the dictator but 'Chalayan', no idea. My instinct says sha-lay-an :confused:

com deh garson ?

and you gotta roll the r in garcons (just a little bit i think)

yup

comme is a bit like coem, des is very short, di like in dirty. c in garcons is like S, last s is silent.

I really have trouble believing that Margiela would have J in it. he's belgian so whether hes flemish or french, either way I'm quite sure it would be G like in Game. marjiela sounds like the american way of saying it.

Poell is not exactly pole, its more like poh-ell. Carol Christian is just with an angry german twist.

I'm guessing Hussein Chalayan is just hussein cha-la-jan

I really have trouble believing that Margiela would have J in it. he's belgian so whether hes flemish or french' date=' either way I'm quite sure it would be G like in Game. marjiela sounds like the american way of saying it.

Poell is not exactly pole, its more like poh-ell. Carol Christian is just with an angry german twist.

[/quote']

margiela has a soft g as in french. the name wouldn't make sense in flemish, where it would be pronounced "mar-HEE-la". his first name is also pronounced in the french style [mahr-TA(N)]

poell is austrian, right? in that case there is an umlaut over the o and should be pronounced accordingly.

and oh yeah, hedi slimane is "heddy slim-AHN"

in antwerp, it is not uncommon to refer to local designers by their first names (except margiela), this may let you off the hook and allow for developing nicknames like "naff raf."

also be advised that the "correct" way of pronouncing lots of names will get you blank stares in the us, e.g. hoegaarden (HOO-hard-eh) or brett favre.

margiela has a soft g as in french. the name wouldn't make sense in flemish, where it would be pronounced "mar-HEE-la". his first name is also pronounced in the french style [mahr-TA(N)]

poell is austrian, right? in that case there is an umlaut over the o and should be pronounced accordingly.

hmm so how is the soft G pronounced? he was born in Leuven which is Flemish, though.

why would Poell's name have an ö in it? to my knowledge its spelled with an O.

I've asked spencer, he says HARE is prononced as HAIR. it's not a japanese word.

i always though visvim was pronounced as vi vi sm. i'm blind as a bat

you are a dumb cunt.

HARE is pronounced like what ruach said. ha (as in 歯) re (re as in 彼).

visvim = vis vim, not VIZ VIM

what about w)taps, is it W-taps

dub-taps

or double taps

and wtf does doubletaps mean anyway

double taps.

i need

-comme des garcons

-goyard

-lanvin (is it pronounced like LAN VAN)

-margiela (i thought it was mar - ji - ela)

-lucien pellat finet (lu cian pella fi-ne????)

hussain chalayan = HUSSAIN CHA-LA-YAN (told by a guy who works at via bus stop / movida)

POELL = POH EL

bernhard wilhelm = all i know is that bernhard isn't pronounced like bernhard

hmm so how is the soft G pronounced? he was born in Leuven which is Flemish, though.

why would Poell's name have an ö in it? to my knowledge its spelled with an O.

i doubt if margiela's name is flemish, but at any rate the soft g is the same as that in english words that are borrowed from french, e.g. corsage/fuselage etc. the i and e are pronounced together: mahr-JELL-ah (i've also heard it pronounced mahr-JAIL-ah)

i think poe-ELL is pretty standard but i'm not sure if it's "correct" (i also don't care to be honest, never liked the guy's stuff all that much). that kind of pronunciation is more french (maybe also spanish, don't know it) and in standard english there could/should be an umlaut over the e to indicate the diaeresis. if you read the new yorker or economist you know what i'm talking about.

herpsky - just use your best inspector clouseau accent with those brands and you'll be fine ('e 'es eh BUMM)

yup

I really have trouble believing that Margiela would have J in it. he's belgian so whether hes flemish or french, either way I'm quite sure it would be G like in Game. marjiela sounds like the american way of saying it.

it's pronounced marJiela. in french grammar, the G is only pronounced like in Game if it's the first letter of the word or if followed by a U.. ( can't believe i remember that ! )