what are your top 5 films

astro black

Yea, i thought this looked familiar.

IIIIIIIIII shut down the thread anyway

whats your fav miyazaki film? i've only seen mononoke and laputa... any recommendations for which one to see next?

That's a tough one. I have them all and have seen them more times than I can count. If you liked both of those then you would probably like Nausicaa, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, which are less cutsey then Totoro and Kiki.

I actually like possibly his least known work, Porco Rosso, which is about a pilot who has been transformed into a pig and becomes a flying bounty hunter in the Adriatic Sea. Its a good adventure film that doesn't seem to get its props.

EDIT - I don't mean to diminish Totoro and Kiki by calling them "cutsey" - they are both great films as well - they are just in a different vein from the others mentioned.

i thought these were great too, i really liked the dialogues and how the sequel picked up 9 years after the first one both in real life and in the story. i also like how the two protagonists also co-wrote the screenplay for the sequel.

Yeah, the most naturalistic dialogue/performances ever.

You watch Before Sunset and don't even realize how incredible the acting is, because it just feels like you're watching a documentary or something with two people really talking.

Sigh...my two all time favorites.

Ten Canoes - May not have 'stood the test of time', and re-release reviews, but I'm convinced this is a future classic. Dancing, spears, Australia, canoes, penises, palimpsests... it's got it all.

Ashes and Diamonds - (This is by Andrzej Wajda, pronounced like Vader, but no relation to Darth.) Depicts the tragedy of the Warsaw Uprising. Also features a protagonist cooler than James Dean.

Celine et Julie

Mulholland Drive

Les Quatre Cents Coups