lamscott

japan :: tokyo :: general

10,430 posts in this topic

What's next Tokyo culture story

http://www.hi-vision.net/posts/1807449

For Beams 40th anniversary. Must be decent b/c it's by magazine house. 

Edited by herpsky

Heading back to japan to visit the in-laws late april/ early may. Just moved into a new condo in the states and looking for new housewares. any recs on places to check out for ceramics, general home goods, books, design etc? I know of the big places like tsite and isetan, any others?

Maybe the Muju Flagship at Ginza (together with LOFT). HOEK in Shibuya, right next (or better behind) Styles in Daikanyama there was also a small but fine interior store. Graphpaper would be an option as well. 

That's great zekay. Hoek and Graphpaper looks promising, thanks for the recs

Last time I was in Daikanyama I remember finding a homegoods store when wandering around near the APC store, can't remember the name, maybe it's the same one you're thinking of...

EDIT: Was it this place? Tenoha http://tenoha.jp/

Edited by Xal

Any spots with dusty whiskey bottles?  Also looking for recent vintages of BTAC, Willett bottles, and Four Roses Single Barrel Limited stuff.  Similarly looking for dusty Cantillon/gueuze.

On 1/23/2017 at 1:52 PM, Xal said:

Heading back to japan to visit the in-laws late april/ early may. Just moved into a new condo in the states and looking for new housewares. any recs on places to check out for ceramics, general home goods, books, design etc? I know of the big places like tsite and isetan, any others?

i remember crossing this general store in koenji:

http://cotogoto.jp/

seemed to have a good selection of stuff -- hippopotamus towels for example.

Anyone got any furniture store recommendations? 

depends on the price range you are looking for. cassina, bal, hhstyle, acme. also, depends on the style. 

most OG furniture stores are located on Meguro-dori between Meguro Sta and Gakugei-daigaku.

Coming back to Japan for a solo trip next month. I'll be in Tokyo April 14-18. Staying in south Shibuya/north Daikanyama. Give me some good stuff to eat (especially stuff I can't get in New York) and bars I can go to by myself where people might be nice to my gaijin ass.

What onsen should I go to in Hakone if I don't want to stay overnight? Or is that a waste.

It's my third time in Tokyo, so I've done a lot of the touristy stuff, but any noteworthy stuff going on I should check out?

Also, give me Kanazawa thoughts if you have them. And Osaka. And maybe Okayama (going to Naoshima and staying overnight). And wherever else I might go around central Japan with a JR pass having already spent some time in Kyoto and Nara.

And if anyone is around and wants to hang out and grab some food/drinks, let me know. 

12 hours ago, youkinorn2 said:

Coming back to Japan for a solo trip next month. I'll be in Tokyo April 14-18. Staying in south Shibuya/north Daikanyama. Give me some good stuff to eat (especially stuff I can't get in New York) and bars I can go to by myself where people might be nice to my gaijin ass.

What onsen should I go to in Hakone if I don't want to stay overnight? Or is that a waste.

It's my third time in Tokyo, so I've done a lot of the touristy stuff, but any noteworthy stuff going on I should check out?

Also, give me Kanazawa thoughts if you have them. And Osaka. And maybe Okayama (going to Naoshima and staying overnight). And wherever else I might go around central Japan with a JR pass having already spent some time in Kyoto and Nara.

And if anyone is around and wants to hang out and grab some food/drinks, let me know. 

There is one small brewery in Nakano really worth checking out. Don't know what the name is but you find it here ( https://goo.gl/maps/jGUiU55QY3U2 ). It's a nice atmosphere.

Another Bar I really enjoyed is Crimjon ( https://www.facebook.com/BarCrimjon/ ). Small basement bar with plenty of vinyl and cds in the back. The guy that runs that bar (Shigeyuki) is really nice, you can sit there for hours listen to old music and have some nice chats with some local guys. 

Than there would be the usual places around Shibuya such as Tight or or Golden Balls. 

Posted (edited)

On 3/9/2017 at 0:44 PM, youkinorn2 said:

In Tokyo, if you like udon I was obsessed with Oniyanma...went to the one off the Gotanda station but I hear there's one near Shimbashi as well. 4 - 500 JPY for a bowl. Of all the things I ate in JP I think I enjoyed this the most, and it certainly had the best value.

Onsen in Hakone, not sure. I stayed overnight at a ryokan to get my onsen fix. Perhaps go to Spa World in Osaka for a non-overnight onsen--never been but I hear it's fantastic.

Edited by piece keeper

planning a weekend trip soonish. there is a deal for a hotel in ikebukuro. is there anything noteworthy to do around ikebukuro? 

just read about a china town around there, that eventually isn't as much of a tourist trap like the other's I've been. maybe a good chance to eat something original 

there's pretty cool lodging called book and bed in ikebukuro, but seeing how you already have accommodation, probably not that interesting. cool space though, lots of art books, magazines, and mangas.

hitting tohoku on thurs to sendai, aomori, and hakodate. anything you guys recommend in those cities or vicinity? 

recently hit up some new cafe's and lunch spots

in shimokitazawa. Light up coffee was great, pretty new, I think it opened just a few weeks ago, manager is like japan aeropress 2016 champion or something. anyways, worth going out of the way for. Hit up Glaubelle coffee and Hi monsieur in the area as well. Light up is one of my new favorites though. Try their coffee and tonic on a hot day, super refreshing.

back in omotesando, where omotesando koffee used to be, the owner opened up the new koffee mameya. specializes more in beans and roasts now. really nice little spot and flows a lot better. the pour over i had of one of their light roasts, cant remember which one, was insanely delicious.

also tried out "deli fu cious" in nakameguro and their fish burger. amazing stuff.

On 5/12/2017 at 8:47 AM, Xal said:

recently hit up some new cafe's and lunch spots

in shimokitazawa. Light up coffee was great, pretty new, I think it opened just a few weeks ago, manager is like japan aeropress 2016 champion or something. anyways, worth going out of the way for. Hit up Glaubelle coffee and Hi monsieur in the area as well. Light up is one of my new favorites though. Try their coffee and tonic on a hot day, super refreshing.

back in omotesando, where omotesando koffee used to be, the owner opened up the new koffee mameya. specializes more in beans and roasts now. really nice little spot and flows a lot better. the pour over i had of one of their light roasts, cant remember which one, was insanely delicious.

also tried out "deli fu cious" in nakameguro and their fish burger. amazing stuff.

I will try Light up coffee and deli fu cious for sure! 

I really like Hi Monsieur, such a cute store/coffee place. If you around Setagaya I also enjoyed On the way cupcakes.