japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

lol found that track a few months ago, sent my friend it on facebook, and he was somehow at a party with ryuzo as I sent it to he started talking to him. 

re: previous beer discussion, I know nothing about beer but there's some crafty kanda beer fest at maach ecute mall in akihabara at the moment

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AviF0Npt04-UdGN5X0prUUM3d3lJNEZ1SnVMdkVMbXc&output=html

here is a comparison of all (or mostly all) japanese SIM cards.... It's in 日本語, but easy to understand

last weekend i also saw a konbini at namba nankai eki in osaka selling SIM cards for tourists. Like 4000 for 1GB or something.

Edited by martin_henk

I'm gonna get a pocket wifi hotspot from these guys. Seems like a good deal
http://en.wifi-rental-store.jp/

Edit: I'm only going for 2 weeks so I have no need for cell reception. But everyone uses LINE to text and make calls anyway so a pocket wifi is pretty sufficient for daily travel. Also recommended to get a pocket battery to extend that shit's life

Edited by donburi

wifi rental is good deal i did the same thing for my extended trips in japan. lte connection is good everywhere and fast, most are unlimited data too for about the same rate a 1gb month sim.

just make sure you dont lose/damage the pocket wifi. shit is expensive to replace 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AviF0Npt04-UdGN5X0prUUM3d3lJNEZ1SnVMdkVMbXc&output=html

here is a comparison of all (or mostly all) japanese SIM cards.... It's in 日本語, but easy to understand

last weekend i also saw a konbini at namba nankai eki in osaka selling SIM cards for tourists. Like 4000 for 1GB or something.

That lists sucks bc it's written for locals who are tryna cut the cost of monthly data fees. Most of the services listed are contract based mvno connections. Bmobile is the easiest for tourists. Some locals get flip phones and use unlocked white rom phones for data. "White plans" usually cost like 400 yen a month for flip phones given your talk time is next to none. If you choose an mvno wisely for data, you can actually minimize your cellphone bill to like less than 15 bucks a month. Most pay close to 8 to 9k unless you pay for the cost of the actual phone up front.

If in Tokyo only I don't think those personal wifi hotspots are worth it anymore. Obviously it depends on how important it is that you can check email/Line immediately, like when in transit or trying to meet up with people or handle work. But all subway stations, JR stations, Starbucks, 7 Elevens, many department stores, and maybe half of the cafes recommended in this thread are already free Wifi hotspots. Seems good enough to me for most visitors.

A lot o the free wifi spots have restrictions though. Could be for customers only so you have to ask for password, some require a Japanese phone, and a lot require email registration, etc. Hard to use your email to register for wifi if you have no data connection (although not a strange concept for Japanese phones). Wifi is also really useful when walking around looking for things. I've been to Tokyo more times than I can count but its still hard to navigate to places sometimes. 

I'd pay 3k yen for that convenience 

free wifi spots in tokyo suck. most cafes don't actually offer free wifi. 

also, what if you are tryna slide into DMs or get that tinder hunnie

Yo. Coming to Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto in November with some friends. We've all been to Japan before, so not worried about how to get around/other touristy type stuff, but definitely looking for suggestions for shit to do and places to eat. Anything we definitely shouldn't miss?

Yo. Coming to Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto in November with some friends. We've all been to Japan before, so not worried about how to get around/other touristy type stuff, but definitely looking for suggestions for shit to do and places to eat. Anything we definitely shouldn't miss?

Hi herpsky,

See my comments in red and let me know if you can please address them. I am from LA and going to Japan in 2 weeks... will be 4 days in Tokyo, 2 days in Kyoto, 4 days in Osaka and then 4 more days in Tokyo. I cut things out of your post that did not relate to what I'm talking about... hope you don't mind.

Also, I should say that usually when I go to foreign countries... my favorite thing to do is to go out to a bar, talk and make friends with random strangers that wanna have some fun, end up bar hopping with them and find other really cool spots that i would have never found on my own. I am not asian and definitely don't speak Japanese, but my gf is fluent. I have heard/read that japanese people are not the type that I can just instantly make friends with and go bar/club hopping with... what's my best plan for this or what are the neighborhoods where this is more likely to happen?

Oh and one more question that isn't on your list... what's THE spot to go to for shabu shabu and/or sukiyaki? I want authentic as fuck please.

Your help (and ANYONE else's input) is very, very highly appreciated!

I think popeye recently did a book on tokyo eats  never read it so i don't know. one source that's been pretty reliable though outdated is Transit Tokyo Gohan ã€€really depends on what you wanna eat but i'd eat ramen 1x or 2x. a lot of people come to tokyo and eat nothing but ramen. ramen is seriously overrated compared to other fine food. id suggest that you go insane for lunch at fancy restaurants. they run anywhere from 20-30 USD (well, unless you go to REALLY expensive spots like Quintessence ). What I like the best about Tokyo is quality of lunches. Since the lunches are so cheap, do the lines get ridiculous? Should I show up early (like at 1030 or 1100) or late (like at 1300-1400)? Or is showing up right on time still ok?

With that said, a comprehensive list of things to try at least once (this is like a list of things an average japanese person enjoys)

-Oufu Curry in Jinbochou (within walking distance from Akihabara; make sure you don't go for an indian style place) I fucking love Japanese curry. Is this THE spot? I tried googling this but nothing came up... do you have the exact address by chance?

-Yakiniku (Japanese bbq) Got a spot to recommend?

-Soba (i usually go to my neighborhood spot) Got a spot to recommend?

-Cocktails at an AUTHENTIC bar (where barternders are tied up or wear white coats) got any to recommend? this I REALLY want to know. i'm specifically looking for those places where the dudes take like 20 mins to make a fucking cocktail with a meticulous level of detail that most people would not care about

-optional-

-Tonkatsu hell yes!!!! what's the go to spot?

Some obscure sufu worthy spots with cool vibes  (a lot of them not necessarily gaijin friendly)

-Top of Hikarie building overlooking shibuya station whats this cool for? to take photos from or is there something going on? tried to google but only ground level pics of the building came up

-Shinjuku tocho tenboudai deck i take it this is a cool view?

-Disk union and Manhattan records in Shibuya any other good record stores? mostly looking for super nerdy UK (and maaaybe some american) indie. i'm at the point with my records that there are only a handful I want and are literally not available anywhere so I don't care how much they will cost me.. i'm not looking for a deal just want the damn things. you know of any great spots to go to for this?

-Spots along Arakawa Toden train line what's good vibes about these spots? any specific stops along this train line that are particularly cool?

-the walk from nakameguro to daikanyama (take the hill that connects the Yarigasaki intersection to the road that runs parallel to the street with the 1LDK empire whats cool here?

-the apartment buildings behind aoyama dori whats cool here?

-2chome everything i looked up seems like this is a gay neighborhood. i'm not gay and i've actually had a lot of fun in gay neighborhoods before, just saying thats the only thing that keeps coming up when i research. what makes this area fun? just cool night life or what?

-obscure hiphip shows at Unit i can get down with this.. got any artists i should check out beforehand?

-that pool bar at XEX what kinda crowd is it here? like trendier types or more hipster types or more like older entitled hipsters? or goth ninjas? lol loaded question and prob will offend some people but yeah just asking

-back terrace at Saturdays surf pics look cool... anything going on here like little parties or something? or just a cool spot to look out from?

-Food from any of the michelin starred french or italian whats the reservation strategy at these? and is lunch the go-to time?

-Yakumo Saryo reservation strategy or best time for a walk-in? whats the best time for lunch?

-Shindaita Fever - The coolest up and coming indies bands play here any other spots to catch indie bands?

-Eyeglasses: Isetan, blinc, globe, lloyd, cradle, continuer i'm looking for two things as far as eyeglasses in japan: 1) vintage cutler and gross, 2) a shop that will custom make me some sunglass lenses. I have a pair of frames I really like but no tinted lenses. There was a spot in camden town in london that did both custom eyeglass frames and custom lenses, from tons of different materials... sadly i saw it 2 days before i was leaving, and they had a 3 day turn around... japan HAS to have some shit like this. where can i find it?

Edited by poopie boy

People eat shabu at home, and pass out under the kotatsu.  Kind of a waste to spend 20000-30000yen to par boil some A5 Saga gyu  

If your GF is fluent, she should know about 2chome, tabelog and how to make reservations over the telephone.  FYI you will probably need to have a japan local phone number to confirm reservations for most Michelin starred\high Tabelog ranked places as well(only a few places will take a foreign number for confirmation), otherwise you got to stay at 5 star like the Tokyo Station Hotel and make use of their concierge.  Also you probably should had made reservations 1-2 months ago.  Oh yeah bring cash, one of the stupidest thing about Japan is paying cash for 80000yen meal in cash, the 2nd stupidest is going to the ATM to get cash for said meal and find out that ATMs shutdown at 9pm.  

Not being a dick, okay maybe I am but a lot of your questions could have been answered by using common sense and google.