japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

In Tokyo for the next few weeks for study abroad/internship and a bit overwhelmed with how much stuff there is to do. Plan to read up on the threads in the city guide but the only spots I have down to shop at are Nepenthes, Uniqlo and Muji and find somewhere with wonderwood.

Interested in finding relatively inexpensive places to eat/drink, more good shops, book and magazine shops, record stores, flea markets, good street food, somewhere with TNF purple label and hopefully a barber who speaks English. Do second hand stores that sell EG, Our Legacy, etc exist? Hopi

What would you guys consider to be the things you must do while you're here?  Wouldn't be opposed to finding a decent tour to do during my first week to try to get a grasp of the city. 

read the thread and buy the guide. get a coin pouch or something before you drown in them. uniqlo literally exists on every second street and muji is on every third. nepenthes is upstairs (welcome to japan) and is easy to walk past. nanamica sell tnf purp but is unfortunately one of the many stores in tokyo which has incredible interior design yet stock hardly anything. go to t-site around the corner instead and spend your money there. wonderwood can be bought from any cdg play concession stand in shopping centres (parco etc) or dsm in ginza. second hand stores are fairly common (ragtag etc) but usually only have small sizes and wouldn't have either of the brands you want bar one or two pieces. record stores...depends on whether you want a chain of strength 7" or the new kassem mosse LP. don't waste your time getting a haircut or going on a tour, getting completely lost is half of the experience.

tldr: if something exists on planet earth you can find and/or buy it in tokyo.

Edited by conqueror

As far as clothes, Daikayama and Nakameguro are the hot spots for mens minimalist americana. Most of the renwoned spots are located along the meguro river in Nakameguro and close to Daikayama T-site. 

Some stores that you might be interested in (based on your brand preference)

-Ranchiki Centraaaaaal 

-Super A Store*

-Nepenthes*

-Engineered Garments*

-Record Nakameguro*
-Anatomica*
-Vendor*
-UA (not the main one but on Tonchan dori)
-Ron Herman Sendagaya
-Heather Gray Walls*
-Porter classic
-B jirushi yoshida
-Nanamica*
-Eliminator*
-Seven Daikanyama*
-Standard California
-Yaeca empire
-1LDK empire
-Kapital
-Maison Martin Margiela Ebisu 
-Wild life tailor
-Biotop*
-Freeman's sporting club (for haircut - no appt necessarily. they are very good)
-International Gallery Beams*
-Soph and A&S
-Arts and science*
-Edition omotesando
-White mountaineering
-Urban research flagship
-Studios flagship (next to American Rag Cie in Shibuya)
-DSM (buy is good; i've run into Sean Stussy and NIGO; elusive pieces by well renowned labels like LV; easiest spot to buy the rarest nikelab/tier 0)
-En route
-The north face standard (this is like a limited edition, japanese exclusive store)
-Beauty and youth
-S double
-Pass the baton
-Mr. Hollywood (the items are ok; presentation and santa maria novella potpourri)
-OC
-Bridge Tokyo*
-GIP* (WTAPS
-hhstyle
-ACME furniture

also there's a bunch of spots in Casa Brutus (2 or 3 issues ago that lists  new cool guy shops i haven't even heard of or been to)

the starred ones are more interesting, i think
Edited by herpsky

Does nanamica even stock anything unique? TNF Standard has both purple label and nanamica stuff. 

And nepenthes is still mostly "upstairs" in their new spot since the bottom store is just shoes iirc. 

softs is cool if you're in kichijoji 

general research store

fhont shop if you like 2-tacs 

As corny as it is sometimes, timeout.jp's tokyo page is good for finding things to do, particularly re: exhibits or new restaurant openings. 

Timeout is good everywhere in Asia, no? HK/Shanghai are both solid too.

@herp -- gah so many places I miss  :(  

I bought that Popeye food miniguide -- it's got a lot of random stuff you'd never normally check out. I left my copy in some coffee shop so I'll probably never know. 

Mitsukoshi opening ceremony if you're in the area is pretty legit. Plus you can head up to the 8th floor and see 100k+ kimonos and the old OGs buying them for their bratty 15 year old daughters. 

Edited by raddy

Bought new issue of "coffee bible" magazine since I was interested in some non-tokyo cafes (speaking of this: any good blog/site/etc that has non-tokyo places?) 

Anyway even the Tokyo part had so many places I've never been to. Most of these aren't new but

Glitch (walked by this but haven't been inside)

Woodberry

'talk and come again' 

r.o.star

on the way

coffeeshop roast works

light up coffee

switch

amameria

haunt coffee stand

cobi

blah blah 

Edited by pompadork

Funny you mention sprudge since I literally found it while looking up places in that magazine, but that appears to be all Tokyo as well. Unless they do other cities in Japan and don't categorize them in the menu. 

e: searching japan gets some posts that aren't in the Tokyo menu. 

Edited by pompadork

Never took note of this before, cus we didnt care before.  I'm contemplating taking my kid to see his aunts, uncles and grandparents in Nov.   How baby friendly are most shops in Tokyo that arent dept stores, uniqlo, muji?  I know we can eat at Dept Store, Kaiten sushi, and Royal host type restaurants, any regular places we can eat at?    He will probably be too heavy for an ergo baby, so I will have to use a stroller.

Here's the map my brother made when we went to Tokyo a few weeks ago:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=zjrfprkFmFP0.kYxRCkJYxAGc

It includes:

-Clothes shops

-Toy shops

-Game shops

-Museums

-Some cheap places to eat (Guard means it's a list from the Guardian) 

Can the Tokyo ppl tell me what they think?

Great holiday. We Went to nearly all the clothes shops. Missed a few big ones like DSM Ginza and shops around Shinjuku.

The two best shopping experiences were mountain research and this store south of GIP that sold old stuff from Urahara brands that we came across randomly. 

The amount of museums we went to was despicable. This is because I have only been to places before for the sole purpose of visiting museums. The same can be said of the places we had dinner at, we never went anywhere real fuckin nice. But all of this leaves us with more stuff to do next time.

Some stuff that happened:

-Was in a vintage toy shop in Aaoyama (Billiken gallery) heard first then saw one of those nationalist convoys.

-Literally the first thing we did was get onto the metro at the airport. It wasn't crowded but when my brother sat down the two women opposite him moved to the other end of the carriage. I was disheartened at the time lol but later realized it was probably because of the two old geezers on the same set of seats as my brother.

This map is also useful (not ours). It has Shibuya/Harajuku denim shops in it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zprQrTbKqqt8.kHy_0gLdE2NY&hl=en

Moving to Japan in a couple months for work. My contract is for a year and I might stay longer.

My Japanese is not good. Should I be studying or should I aim to pick it up just by living there? I'm nowhere near fluent but I want to get from elementary level to conversational at least

Here's the map my brother made when we went to Tokyo a few weeks ago:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=zjrfprkFmFP0.kYxRCkJYxAGc

It includes:

-Clothes shops

-Toy shops

-Game shops

-Museums

-Some cheap places to eat (Guard means it's a list from the Guardian) 

Can the Tokyo ppl tell me what they think?

Great holiday. We Went to nearly all the clothes shops. Missed a few big ones like DSM Ginza and shops around Shinjuku.

The two best shopping experiences were mountain research and this store south of GIP that sold old stuff from Urahara brands that we came across randomly. 

The amount of museums we went to was despicable. This is because I have only been to places before for the sole purpose of visiting museums. The same can be said of the places we had dinner at, we never went anywhere real fuckin nice. But all of this leaves us with more stuff to do next time.

Some stuff that happened:

-Was in a vintage toy shop in Aaoyama (Billiken gallery) heard first then saw one of those nationalist convoys.

-Literally the first thing we did was get onto the metro at the airport. It wasn't crowded but when my brother sat down the two women opposite him moved to the other end of the carriage. I was disheartened at the time lol but later realized it was probably because of the two old geezers on the same set of seats as my brother.

This map is also useful (not ours). It has Shibuya/Harajuku denim shops in it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zprQrTbKqqt8.kHy_0gLdE2NY&hl=en

The map is like a 3 on a scale of 1-10. I'd just get the sufu guide. The akiba map don't even cover some of the most renowned vintage game shops. 

Edited by herpsky

Anyone done Dons de la Nature? Was thinking of taking parents there as I think somewhere like Quintessence might be too harcore for their scared-of-what-they-can't-recognize palettes. I haven't had a steak in Tokyo in like 10 years -- feels sort of tool-ish...

Moving to Japan in a couple months for work. My contract is for a year and I might stay longer.

My Japanese is not good. Should I be studying or should I aim to pick it up just by living there? I'm nowhere near fluent but I want to get from elementary level to conversational at least

Study as much as you can. Everyday situations can be really annoying if you don't understand what's going on.

The map is like a 3 on a scale of 1-10. I'd just get the sufu guide. The akiba map don't even cover some of the most renowned vintage game shops. 

Like a 3/10? Definitely wasn't like a like a 3/10 trip.

A lot more stuff to do next time I suppose.

In Akiba I got a couple games from my childhood including gotcha force which is all I wanted tbf. Next time I'll go to more places that sell mechanical keyboards and more arcades.

Like a 3/10? Definitely wasn't like a like a 3/10 trip.

A lot more stuff to do next time I suppose.

i agree w herp on that rating lol

it's not a bad introduction to tokyo, but it's like only checking times sq in NYC. 

I think that map is mostly boring because a majority of the stuff you would end up walking by anyway or wouldn't need a planned out map for since it's obvious enough that you would just look it up on a map while walking around the city. Accurate ratings imo.

& not enough coffee. 

Went to Great Burger for the first time last night. Meh. Tsukuba burger patties are better. 

And there was some big party outside of that new donut place that opened next door.

yeah, i was being a little harsh because most of the spots are like fairly easy to find hypebeast staples. they are cool – don't get me wrong because things i.e. retail and restaurants aren't half as cool as  what they are in tokyo. but then again

it's like looking at the 0.1 cm at the tip of an iceberg. there are spots like lift etage and metal burger that make you say "HOLY SHIT WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT"

Ye olde spots I liked

1) 10 Corso Como 

2) Liquor, woman, tears

3) Tokishirazu

4) eYe Junya Watanabe 

5) That one spot next to UA, across the street from Challenger with lots of futuristic kimoi

6) OG vendor

7) Bodega And A

8) ZAMIANG

9) NN

Edited by herpsky

FOMO is real–let me just vent that sentiment out first. I just recently came back from a 7 day trip to Tokyo, and I must have spent the last 3 days being an absolute prune.

Our group opted to go to Disneyland (Day 04), Gotemba Outlets (Day 05), and wait 2.5 hours for Midori Sushi Ginza on a Sunday (Day 06). I typically don't have resting dick face, but fuck, it was carved in marble by Michelangelo by Day 05.

If anything, setting up modest and realistic expectations / a rough itinerary of places you have to absolutely go to/eat in would be a start. That way you can have a point A and B to sort of play jazz with vs. getting lost wandering the infinite spiral of amazing shit / FOMO. Or you can not, I'm mostly just telling myself this.

Here's a map of my last trip–it's divied up between the ff: coffee, restaurants, retail, ramen, sushi, burgers, and beer: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zB3x_71Zh514.ki9WnCv0BQNU&usp=sharing

Places I actually went to: (passable<decent<good<crying)

Coffee

Little Nap – good espressos, lattes–coffee tokens galore. 

Omotesando Koffee – decent espresso, latte. Shakerato was fun. More for your exp+

Blue Bottle – was fighting with the missus bec. she wanted to go to the Opening Ceremony, iced coffee, in the moment, was still decent

Food (Ramen, Beer, etc.)

Jojoen – good+pricey yakiniku chain, open late (11 at best)

Chinese Tapas Renge – moved to Ginza, got to their old location at night, middle of the rain–left ultra sad :(

Blue Star, Tartine (Log Road) – got there too late, all closed  :(

Afuri – good ramen, was only able to eat in one, opinion in based on my relativity.

Midori Sushi Ginza – good sushi, supposedly great for the price point, Sushi Dai is also good I hear?

Blacows – got there a couple minutes too late, almost cried. :(

Golden Gai – couldn't find it, tall bald white dude with rapey eyes was following me :(

Bimmer Beer – couldn't find it also, was on the exact spot but went to Commune instead :(

Tenichi Ginza – good+vexpensive tempura (1000 JPY/pc), more for the exp+

Tsukiji Outer Market – stalls apparently make for a good food crawl. Closed on Sundays :(

Maisen – decent Tonkatsu, institutional almost

Toriyoshi Omotesando (?) – decent yakitori, waitress smelled heavily of B.O., lols

Retail

Beauty and Youth – No XL C.E., some ACR. Wife says WMS offering was like being trapped in a ring of hell where they wanted you to dress exclusively in 06~08 BoHo.

Beams* – Beams Tee was where I was mostly at, should've bought more. No C.E. in XL.

United Arrows & Sons* – whatever you want might already be sold out–a lot of internet brands.

DSM Ginza* – rarest Nike Lab statement is true. Wide offering, could actually feel the supposed "sale season"

Stussy Harajuku* – Streetwear makes me happy. 

Supreme – token visit, whatever you want might already be sold out

Atmos* – all the shoes from the internet

POOL – Couldn't find it, later was told it was just around the bend. :(

CDG Aoyama – If you're into CDG, it's like going to the mothership.

(* – All great places to spend $$)

S.W.J.F. (stuff we just found)

Commune – outdoor food court, good food, fun concept

Streamer Coffee – In the Stussy pop-up and further up in Harajuku, decent latte

Deus Ex – close to United Arrows and Sons, decent latte

Arms – close to Little Nap, issokay burgers  :(

Coffee Art Is Love – only consolation prize if you go to Gotemba. Bus stop cafe had passable coffee, kooky owners.

Tokyu Hands (Shibuya) – I went for the coffee section, that's about 1/16th of it

Muji (Shibuya) – wasn't this the old OC bldg? It's huge.

Notes

– Never go to Gotemba Premium Outlets. The missus' idea and even she regretted it.  :(

– Disneyland was a poor choice– Disney Sea may have been better... if you're into that stuff.

– P15–CH, Raf Shorts, pants or thick fabrics in particular–all poor choices for JULY. :(

– Bring a coin purse–buy that train card instead of having to buy at each stop. 

– Stay somewhere more central. Sucks to have to train it at the start and end of each day.

– Taking to account all the new stuff in the last few pages. Shouldn't have had let FOMO get the best of me, it's still fucking Tokyo afterall

Questions

1. Is sale season real? We timed it in the middle of summer only because of it. Felt it a bit in CDG Aoyama and DSM.

Edited by WillKhitie

I'm so out of touch with what is "cool" in Tokyo these days....*shrug*

Seems too hard to keep tabs on this. Stopped giving a shit and just follow people on instagram now and if they post a gallery / shop / restaurant that looks good i'll keep it in mind to go. 

@Will pool aoyama doesn't exist anymore. There was (is?) pool shinjuku now which is just the stage part of Isetan men's but I don't know if that's still there. Since it's the stage I assume it's temporary.

On topic, Monocle is publishing a Tokyo travel guide this month. I don't know if there other guides are any good. 

uUjKgsl.jpg

Thanks for the recs Herpsky/WillKhitie/everyone else.  Stopped worrying about FOMO and just have been fitting in what I can and am having a blast.

Did Harajuku yesterday and spent about an hour each at Ragtag and Beams.  Felt rushed in Shibuya so I'm returning to do a second round at Kind/Muji/Nepenthes and Tokyu Hands for gifts.  Same story with Ginza but not sure if it's worth it for returning to DSM. Amazed at the amount of second hand shops filled with sugarcane, arcteryx, visvim etc.

I haven't worried much with food but plan on making it to Great Burger. I've been with Japanese students and have trusted their judgment so far and everything has been good.  Going to look up spots in Shibuya for lunch and try to go to different spots between classes.

Been in search of a pair of Mono Docs though and haven't been able to find them.  Beams Boy had a cool footwear selection and really good sales right now but I can't find anything in a 12 (might just have to give up on footwear).  Should I just try a Docs store?

Also, see tons of people here in weird/cool Birkenstocks. Where are they buying these?

Japanese Birkenstock carries weird, cool shoes. there's a birk store at the intersection of Meiji fork and Takeshita. boutiques are usually in department stores