japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

It's kind of funny since the Soichi Terada "Sounds from the Far East" comp that came out recently is one of the most talked-about records of the year, odd to think he might be more popular with european DJs than in Japan

But yeah, the ticket pricing is pretty reasonable, is the Liquid Room still a good club? 

i've to been to liquidroom several times (boris, mono etc) and its perfect for that kind of show, not sure how it would work for a dj set though.

Edited by conqueror

japanese craft beer in general sux. if you coming from wypipo land, you'll be underwhelmed. baird is p good. 

classicmrip and i have been to several beer bars but they mostly servee american beer.

i think kiya's probably the most knowledgeable guy to ask. i don't really go out of my way to drink craft beer in japan because 99% of them suck ass. 

the japanese are years behind. i mean, a lot of people think blue moon is an A+ luxe beer. my friends always posting shit on fb about like é’鬼 and よãªã‚ˆãªã‚¨ãƒ¼ãƒ«. They are like as bad as annheiser busch beeru. 

FYI, a pint of brooklyn lager is like 1200 yen at this beer bar near my shack. Also, no one ever lets you sample beer. 

http://www.timeout.jp/ja/tokyo/feature/6079

Tap list from popeye http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/~ppy/

Coedo, Shinonome, Ise Kadoya Mugishu (apparently this brand is "IN" but it's probably shitty), Hitachino, Yahoo brewing (garbage) and etc. I mean, they fucking have Hoegaarden and Vedett on draft. 

I'd rather go to an authentic cocktail bar. The so-called authentic bars can make you mind-blowing cocktails with the most boring ingredients. I don't know. Maybe I'm being overly dramatic but wypipo mixology and fancy cocktail bars, at least, in the US have nothing on these OG bars. I've had some insane drinks in europe but if you are coming from the US, you are in for a treat.

Edited by herpsky

TY harbor has ok beer and food but it's a dope place. it's kind of out of the way but it's worth checking out if you got the time. 

Agreed. Ty Harbor is lovely. I always stay at Tenzou Isle at a friends when I visit Tokyo. So Ty Harbor is a 5 min walk away.

Breadworks had great coffee and baked goods. The Brewery is great in summer.

It is a little out of the way, but worth the visit.

It's okay. I appreciate you/the advice. Xoxo. Tried to go to Goldain Gai tonight. A creepy white bald white du followed me down the wrong alley and had to take a couple odd turns to lose him. Will try to make time to go to Ty Harbor instead.

In other news, does anyone have info on the Acronym Lunar Force release? Well, screw those shoes.

Edited by WillKhitie

Ashley Mad clone? Tinder seemed reasonably active last time I used it in jland, though I guess mostly foreigners.

@herp -- yeah TY harbor is super chill. I've been making my way through cocktail bars past few trips. Def some very next level shit. Codename mixology, Bar Trench, and Gen Yamamoto were all legit. Way better than options here in Shanghai. 

Pairs 出会ㄠapp is fucking insane.

So many thirsty divorced and/over 30 women.

It's been fun for a quick minute but now I'm done.

yeah. i don't have the paid membership but when i "like" back, they get so cray

Ashley Mad clone? Tinder seemed reasonably active last time I used it in jland, though I guess mostly foreigners.

@herp -- yeah TY harbor is super chill. I've been making my way through cocktail bars past few trips. Def some very next level shit. Codename mixology, Bar Trench, and Gen Yamamoto were all legit. Way better than options here in Shanghai. 

TINDER IS STILL LIT. Classicmrip and I can attest.

No it's beautiful!! 

Wrong audience for tinder anyway but the population seemed mostly really boring. Gyaru mode or foreign girls with rich parents on vacation. If all you wanted was a hookup it didn't seem too different from just going to Roppongi or something. 

No it's beautiful!! 

Wrong audience for tinder anyway but the population seemed mostly really boring. Gyaru mode or foreign girls with rich parents on vacation. If all you wanted was a hookup it didn't seem too different from just going to Roppongi or something. 

This is high praise for tinder, no?

Has anyone heard Final Audio before? I do like the shures but the Sony BA earphones I used to have were legit and thinking of going back to BA. Apparently, these are crazy good. 

http://final-audio-design-directshop.com/fs/final/FI-HE2B/

In Tokyo for the next few weeks for study abroad/internship and a bit overwhelmed with how much stuff there is to do. Plan to read up on the threads in the city guide but the only spots I have down to shop at are Nepenthes, Uniqlo and Muji and find somewhere with wonderwood.

Interested in finding relatively inexpensive places to eat/drink, more good shops, book and magazine shops, record stores, flea markets, good street food, somewhere with TNF purple label and hopefully a barber who speaks English. Do second hand stores that sell EG, Our Legacy, etc exist? Only food plans are Great Burger haha. 

What would you guys consider to be the things you must do while you're here?  Wouldn't be opposed to finding a decent tour to do during my first week to try to get a grasp of the city. 

Edited by ShakeEmUp