japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

As a European I have to say that I have yet to find any tasty bread in Japan. What gets me is the overly present flavour of (fake) butter in almost all the bread. Maybe some high end bakeries in Tokyo do a better job but even the expensive stuff from specialized shops and big departments was really meh at best in Kansai, yet came at a premium price. Then again I gave up on bread really fast so after that I didn't bother looking for it as much.

A good baguette is perhaps my favorite thing to eat and it's true that good ones are really hard to find in Japan. Obviously in Tokyo there's a lot more options, but I never really understood the Japanese love of soft chewy bread (don't get me started about the sliced bread). Not helping is the humid climate, really crusty bread will inevitably turn soft after not that long. 

But then, appreciation of good bread is something that really differs across culture and Japan is definitely not the only place where finding good bread is hard. There's only a handful of place in NYC I will buy bread from, Whole Foods bread in general is disgusting and pretty much inedible, etc...

Kasper where do you buy bread?  In NY I buy bread from Lafayette, Bien Cuit, Il Bucco, and Sullivan St.  I tried the famous places in Tokyo like Viron, that one near Shinjuku Lumine that housewives line up because theres a handsome french guy, and they dont compare.  Is it me does Maison Kayser suck worldwide, tried it in Paris, Tokyo and NY.

Haha, I actually think Maison Kayser is pretty good (both for pastries and bread). Bien Cuit, Francois Payard, Levain and Balthazar are my favorite, but I live on the UES so I generally have to do with Eli's or Dean & Deluca (both of which are generally good, but can be inconsistent). Almondine, Breads, Bouchon, Lafayette, etc are also all very good too. So there's definitely so really good stuff to be had, it's just that the average bread (especially from the grocery) is just really bad. I'm french canadian and very attached to my baguette so I know I can be peculiar about it lol!!!!

When I lived in Tokyo, I was in Shinjuku and I always told myself I would wait for that place of Lumine and never found the motivation to wait the line lol. And I could live the rest of my life eating solely eclairs from Sadaharu Aoki!!!!

I think Kayser is fine for things like croisants but I find their breads are kind of bland, tried quite a few times.  And the texture kinda reminds me of the bread served at italian restaurants in Tokyo.  Bouchon is very good, but my wife's cc got cloned there by a worker, probably wont go back.  That place near Lumine is basically Japanese sho pan made to look like baguettes.  Dean and Deluca is pretty good and they carry everything. 

Trader Joes Tuscan Pane and their new San Fran Sourdough, TomCat are pretty good for store brand bread.  Actually Tom Cat's baguette is quite good.

Agreed. I think I'm just used to the Japanese style bread because that's something I grew up with.

Like you guys all said, it's nearly impossible find good hearty, grainy kind of bread in Japan. My dad used to eat rye and other heavy western breads while he lived in the US. I guess I haven't really found bread similar to those served at Tartine, The Mill, and etc. 

It's that bokyo-no-nen thing. When I go to Tokyo, I rarely go out of my way to eat western food. Kinda lost interest in burgers too. Ramen's also kinda boring now. Into curry. 

also, i think the ramen hype is partly driven by wypipo's ignorance about japanese food. 

they think sushi = japanese food. most americans who don't live in LA or NYC have never been exposed, or know that japanese comfort food exists. most americans, even those who claim themselves as foodies, don't know shit about anything. 

has any1 been to the roof top bar at Andaz? apparently, it's nexxxxxxt level. i was looking at the menu but was kinda underwhelmed. but then again, what do i know? some of the best g&t i've had in my life were made with fucking beefeater and wilkinson. 

Are you talking about this bar? http://tokyo.andaz.hyatt.com/en/hotel/dining/rooftop-bar.html

I will be in Japan from the 12th-17th so I really wanna check out some cool bars or restaurants. 

Is there any district where all the stores are usually located or is it quite dispersed? Im looking for brands like Facetasm, Undercover, Unused, Phenomenon, etc. 

Are you talking about this bar? http://tokyo.andaz.hyatt.com/en/hotel/dining/rooftop-bar.html

I will be in Japan from the 12th-17th so I really wanna check out some cool bars or restaurants. 

Is there any district where all the stores are usually located or is it quite dispersed? Im looking for brands like Facetasm, Undercover, Unused, Phenomenon, etc. 

Filth why don't we meet up on 16th night for drinks? No one else has responded to me, I'll be with 2 other friends.

I'm a big fan of the OG spots in kanda. I like Ethiopia (echiopia). It's a spot that everyone knows about but has really stood the test of time.

Not exactly a curry place but tops has really sick beef curry. Their tomato salad is p good too.

On contrary to what people have said, yogoro is just ok. Perhaps disappointing. MRip and yours truly can confirm this.

I like oufu curry ie not og Indian curry

My wife wants to go to Budoya and Tomato.  Finally checked out the main branch of Camp in Yoyogi on my last visit, really like it a lot.

Herp send me some prepackage curry from places you like.   I cant go to Japan for bit.  

Edited by DaBestSpoona

Follow @hc100 on Instagram for curry and Indian food. The man has nexxxxxxxt level knowledge about the tokyo curry scene

thanks for this. my friends in japan are on an indian curry craze at the moment, and i had some while I was over there and can confirm its good. they'll definitely appreciate the IG. 

when i was in tokyo i found this nepali spot near my office and went there waaaay too often.  It's definitely the type of 'indian' food most popular in america and, in my limited experience, seemed kind of hard to find in Tokyo, but i'm sure it's there.  Anyhow - maybe i'm remembering it too fondly, but it sure did hit the spot at the time... 

[map]

Edited by Christmas In A Submarine.

thanks for this. my friends in japan are on an indian curry craze at the moment, and i had some while I was over there and can confirm its good. they'll definitely appreciate the IG. 

is indian curry trendy af right now?

On contrary to what people have said, yogoro is just ok. Perhaps disappointing. MRip and yours truly can confirm this.

I like oufu curry ie not og Indian curry

yeah this place was average. the interior was nice. it seemed like a 'cool guy' place. id rather go to curry up than this place

very true. but the coffee hype in japan is nowhere as corny as the ramen hype in nyc. all the sudden wypipo be ramen experts 

agreed. for whatever reason, it's some sort of a status symbol. it's kind of like a way of advertising that you are a "foodie". Then again, ramen is somewhat of a novel concept for the wypipo because they don't really eat hot food aside from the occasional soup. 

also, japan has so much insane non-noodle options. smh when people are like i had this ramen and that ramen

10957997_10205245765577368_1161656507724

http://fashionstudies.org/

New fashion web magazine. looks promising

malamute has been on the hype train for a minute because she used to be the knit designer for Mikio Sakabe. Changefashion.org and Parco have been supporting her big time but I can't see her designs translating with the same crossover appeal that say Meme has gotten in the last several years.

Looks like the site is supported by Coromo / Coromoza crew (I know the founder) but doubt this web magazine will make traction.

The fashion web magazine space is way over crowded right now...

I thought you were against some of this pseudo outdoorsy style? Wonder Mountain is good my only issue is they make pants look really similar all the time. Styling issue or something. 

Speaking of outdoorsy, mountain research summer stuff is nice. I wouldn't wear like half of their collections but still probably one of my favourite stores. 

http://www.wwdjapan.com/life/2015/02/18/00015441.html

SHAKU SHAKKU AS I HAD PREDICTED IN EARLY 2014

Thought Revamp (http://www.revamp.co.jp/) would pick it up but guess Sazaby (http://www.sazaby-league.co.jp/) was willing to pay more for the licencing fees. But they've done wonders with Ron Herman in the last few years making it the "IT" select shop. Honestly don't think its gonna be a hit. Tokyo has the so so so many amazing burger joints already.