japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Hm I normally book a hotel about a month before I go to Tokyo but everything seems to be booked for Oct 17-22 that I normally go to. Any recs for $100-150 range? Preferably shibuya/shinjuku area.

Was thinking of staying at ikebukoro cuz it's close to friends and cheap but im guessing it's too far to be worthwhile.

Hm I normally book a hotel about a month before I go to Tokyo but everything seems to be booked for Oct 17-22 that I normally go to. Any recs for $100-150 range? Preferably shibuya/shinjuku area.

Was thinking of staying at ikebukoro cuz it's close to friends and cheap but im guessing it's too far to be worthwhile.

too far from what? ikebukuro is still on the yamanote so its super convenient and usually considerably cheaper than other areas (esp shibuya and shinjuku).

Edited by conqueror

Yah yamonte is convenient but from what I remember ikebukoro is at least 20-30 min away from shibuya? That doesn't include any walking I would need to do either. And if I stay out late... pretty much means I have to cab it back every night. 

But damn some of the decent ikebukoro spots are as low as 70 a night. 

Last week I went to arashi concert cause it was free. Got super wasted cause shit was so lame. Thought I hollered at hot girls. Come to realize that one was 15 and the other is 40 w/ 3 kids. Throughout my life I never had gone to a jap idol or boy band mega concert before. Shit is like a cult meeting.

there are inexpensive options. i think tokyu stay in gotanda is like 10k a night if you book online. 

the problem is that everyone either wants to stay in shibuya or shinjuku. shinjuku isn't convenient. 

that hotel at Izumi garden is clean and cheap. used to take bzs there. never stayed at hotel ibis but that's also an option if you want to ropps. 

Found a place near Shibuya so that's all set. Lemme kno if I fucked up anywhere on my food list. Nbd if you throw out more options, because I'm going back to Tokyo in Dec for a month. 

FOOD

Burger:
Beacon, AS classics, Authentic

coffee: 
The Roastery, Little Nap, OMOTESANDO

Sushi: 
I need sushi recs. One solo meal near Shibuya before i meet up friends (6-10k yen lunch) and then another more casual meal in tsukiji market 3-5k per person. Can't help but feel like tsukiji is a tourist trap plagued with long ques tho. 

Noodles:
rokurinsha tokyo (my love for tsukemen) 

misc:
Nakajima shinjuku for cheap michelin lunch

Must try ramen/tonkatsu/shabu places would be nice too. Was thinking I'd just go off where my friends take me. Also, guessing there's not gna be much sales for clothing going on mid-Oct?

Edited by Method

^ i'm there in october as well; the only michelin star joint i'm going to is tamawarai which breams recommended due to my love of soba. not sure how awkward it'll be considering i'll be travelling solo and my japanese completely sucks ass, but we'll see! i remember nakajima always having a huge ass line (like most cheap/reputable places) so i'd definitely get there early. unfortunately in my case most places only take reservations for 2+ people.

Edited by conqueror

^^ for nakajima iwashi lunch i'd go with the fry AND the sashimi.  if u a gaijin bro there is no possible way that only one lunch entree will be enough.  plus even if u roll up dolo you'll probably have to wait in line.  so go early.

for burgers i just like a leisurely lunch at gotham grill.  mainly because it's not a burger joint.  you can relax w/o alota plebs and tourists around you.  plus the burger is awesome.

i don't drink gourmet/fancy guy coffee in japan mainly cause i just drink alcohol.

don't go to tsukiji cause there are so many loud chinese people the lines are too long.  if u do go there is some chinese small place (i can never remember the name) that has kaki ramen.  beside getting produce for home parties that kaki ramen is the only reason i go to fuckin tsukiji.

don't eat shabu shabu.  eat motsu nabe.

List of good clubs around Shibuya / Shinjuku? Anywhere that plays house etc etc 

shinjuku?  go kabukicho.  there be alota really nice door people advertisin on the street.  you'll know them cause they wear suits, but you should definitely listen to the ones who b wearin versace.  

if not just rock out with yr cock out in 2chome

Edited by SSchadenfreude

Tsukiji isnt worth it.  You can go to some place like Sushi Iwa for lunch for the same price as some of the Tsukiji line up places.  Actually the places in Tsukiji with no lines like the tempura, aji fry and yoshoku places are pretty good.

Go to Butagumi for Katsu

Edited by DaBestSpoona

nice thanks for the tips guys. I'm only gna be a solo gaijin bro on the first day, rest of the trip i roll with locals. plus people cant really tell what kind of asian i am by looking and i speak conversational nihongo so i should be ok.  

funny that i trust the judgement and suggestiosn of interweb sufuers over irl tokyo friends. 

Edited by Method

Found a place near Shibuya so that's all set. Lemme kno if I fucked up anywhere on my food list. Nbd if you throw out more options, because I'm going back to Tokyo in Dec for a month. 

FOOD

Burger:
Beacon, AS classics, Authentic

coffee: 
The Roastery, Little Nap, OMOTESANDO

Sushi: 
I need sushi recs. One solo meal near Shibuya before i meet up friends (6-10k yen lunch) and then another more casual meal in tsukiji market 3-5k per person. Can't help but feel like tsukiji is a tourist trap plagued with long ques tho. 

Noodles:
rokurinsha tokyo (my love for tsukemen) 

misc:
Nakajima shinjuku for cheap michelin lunch

Must try ramen/tonkatsu/shabu places would be nice too. Was thinking I'd just go off where my friends take me. Also, guessing there's not gna be much sales for clothing going on mid-Oct?

Warito is the shit. There's a bunch of tsukemen spots that are on par with rokurinsha in Tokyo though. Rokurinsha might be worth hitting up if the outpost in Tokyo sta has no line. The main rokurinsha is in Osaki, and I don't know if you really want to be wasting your precious time to go there. The only justifiable reason is that you are on your way to Ginza / Yurakucho to look at Luxe jawnz and want to make a stop.

The roastery is pretty lame. They have shit like geisha but American (or any other white pipo) coffee is far superior to Japanese coffee. I guess you could go to Paddler's and get Stumptown but it's seriously whatever. If you are hell bent on getting coffee, always order a gibraltar b/c Japanese coffee shops make their drinks with ONE espresso shot instead of two so everything tastes like shit. There's a couple of dope spots but they are def. out of the way. Omotesando is pretty nice for the experience, IMO. The custurd snack is very good. I've been to most of the renowned coffee shops in Tokyo. If you've been to places like Sightglass in SF, you'll be disappointed. The presentation is probably the coolest thing about coffee shops in Tokyo. Some places have customized lamarzocco and etc. Some places that are really good but under the radar:

-Amamelia Espresso: probs my #1 spot in Tokyo

-Sarutahiko coffee: it's kag'd out but still a very solid choice

-cafe kitsune: for the novelty of espresso served from a Slayer

-bar zingaro: in nakano broadway. i think the coffee is all right but there are real murakami paintings on the wall

-coffee house nishiya: italian style. cocoa on the bottom. very different. 

-pretty things: run by the du who owns bowery kitchen

Tsukiji is a huge fucking waste of time. I still don't understand the novelty of a fish market. There's plenty of spots that offer fresh sushi. People swear by that kaiten-zushi in Meguro station. Not a big fan but I guess the cost:performance ratio is very good there.

Are you from the Bay? Because Asian pipo in california go cray for shabu shabu. Not worth it unless you are absolutely running out of ideas. 

Butagumi is good. I like Santa in Shinjuku. Tonki is OK.

Don't cup shit on sale in Tokyo. Sale items are always leftover BS that no one wants. 

I've honestly never bought anything decent on sale in Tokyo. Cup retail or go home.

Well, maybe except for that Givenchy tee I got from the third culture family sale for like 5k.

Unless you want some kimoi domestic brands, I'd probs try on a bunch of shit and just buy from Haven or End.

Edited by herpsky

I guess one thing that farrin pipo always fail to try is Chuka. It's chinese food but reappropriated. I'm a poor peasant so I love cheap Chuka-ya.

Good info on coffee shops. I figured coffee would just be OK (my friends have me sending them american coffee), but i listed coffee shops because I'll prob be going to them to chill. Won't be tight on time at all, i'm really just going to visit some friends and shop a bit.

and yeah, im from the bay and i like shabu hah. 

All of this is way on point. 

Meguro kaiten sushi spot is definitely an ROI thing.  I personally find it to be pretty good and take my buddies there but would gladly trade it in for Tskiji Honten off of Center-Gai in Shibuya if it were still around. 

oh, and I quite like Tonki :)

Warito is the shit. There's a bunch of tsukemen spots that are on par with rokurinsha in Tokyo though. Rokurinsha might be worth hitting up if the outpost in Tokyo sta has no line. The main rokurinsha is in Osaki, and I don't know if you really want to be wasting your precious time to go there. The only justifiable reason is that you are on your way to Ginza / Yurakucho to look at Luxe jawnz and want to make a stop.

The roastery is pretty lame. They have shit like geisha but American (or any other white pipo) coffee is far superior to Japanese coffee. I guess you could go to Paddler's and get Stumptown but it's seriously whatever. If you are hell bent on getting coffee, always order a gibraltar b/c Japanese coffee shops make their drinks with ONE espresso shot instead of two so everything tastes like shit. There's a couple of dope spots but they are def. out of the way. Omotesando is pretty nice for the experience, IMO. The custurd snack is very good. I've been to most of the renowned coffee shops in Tokyo. If you've been to places like Sightglass in SF, you'll be disappointed. The presentation is probably the coolest thing about coffee shops in Tokyo. Some places have customized lamarzocco and etc. Some places that are really good but under the radar:

-Amamelia Espresso: probs my #1 spot in Tokyo

-Sarutahiko coffee: it's kag'd out but still a very solid choice

-cafe kitsune: for the novelty of espresso served from a Slayer

-bar zingaro: in nakano broadway. i think the coffee is all right but there are real murakami paintings on the wall

-coffee house nishiya: italian style. cocoa on the bottom. very different. 

-pretty things: run by the du who owns bowery kitchen

Tsukiji is a huge fucking waste of time. I still don't understand the novelty of a fish market. There's plenty of spots that offer fresh sushi. People swear by that kaiten-zushi in Meguro station. Not a big fan but I guess the cost:performance ratio is very good there.

Are you from the Bay? Because Asian pipo in california go cray for shabu shabu. Not worth it unless you are absolutely running out of ideas. 

Butagumi is good. I like Santa in Shinjuku. Tonki is OK.