japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

I would skip sushi dai and daiwa if you dont have the patience to wait 3-5 hours on line and try to do lunch at some of the higher end places like sushi kanesaka(5000yen) or dinner at one of the more reasonably priced 2 Michelin starred places like Umi or Kimura.

Skip burgers, beer, coffee.  Coming from bay area you will be disappointed.

stuff you'd find on resident advisor: dusky, jon hopkins, phaeleh, but im sure he'd be into the more mainstream stuff if thats where the people are. Simply put- He's just looking to get drunk and gig out with some good looking girls to some good music

Ah yes, i've been there.  They're the ones that make the Thai elephant feces beer.

Yeah that brew got some world wide press recently...the session IPA they have though is one of my favorites right now great flavor without being over the top hoppy like a lot of the West Coast breweries in the states are trying these days.

dunno about all that. but to each his own.

He might as well try some old school JPN food like Motsuyaki or something. 

I'm with spoona. I think America, on average, does better with beeru, coffee, and burgers.

Visitors need to try Royal Host for breakfast or late night grubs. I'm not even joking. You'll get a pretty good sense of how the Japanese appropriated / reinterpreted American and western food.

Edited by herpsky

Also, the ID policy at ageha is really strict. Make sure you bring a passport.

Any place run by TY group is really decent. Cicada, Beacon, TY Harbor, and etc. 

I've made this rec before but Transit Tokyo Gohan guide is one of the best restaurant guides for finding joints that have the best cost:quality ratio. The guide was written by the guy who owns lowercase and he was also a former creative director of Beams. It's a list of places where he frequently entertained foreign visitors.

Edited by herpsky

surprised by the blacows hate. blacows is better than most burgers i've had in the bay area - definitely worth a try. receives a lot of hype but still best of all the american diner burger spots i tried in tokyo.

good choice on basanova, that's my shit. green curry ramen is my favorite bowl of ramen.

surprised by the blacows hate. blacows is better than most burgers i've had in the bay area - definitely worth a try. receives a lot of hype but still best of all the american diner burger spots i tried in tokyo.

good choice on basanova, that's my shit. green curry ramen is my favorite bowl of ramen.

i'm not from the bay but maybe east coast has better burgers. i dunno. 

dismalfuture who has probs dined at more michelin starred restaurants than any of us loves blacows. 

just not my steez

Visitors need to try Royal Host for breakfast or late night grubs. I'm not even joking. You'll get a pretty good sense of how the Japanese appropriated / reinterpreted American and western food.

Another reason I'm swaying fycus from burgers, beer, and coffee  is because he's only there for 4 days. Why waste a meal on burgers if his time is short.  

How's Denny's JP?  The menu's look interesting. http://www.dennys.jp/dny/index.html

Another reason I'm swaying fycus from burgers, beer, and coffee  is because he's only there for 4 days. Why waste a meal on burgers if his time is short.  

How's Denny's JP?  The menu's look interesting. http://www.dennys.jp/dny/index.html

You can't underestimate family restaurants. Far better than their American counterparts.

this is probably more for your friend, but my only recommendation is to try and at least catch one show or spend a few hours one night at superdeluxe in nishi-azabu. i've seen lots of different acts there (merzbow, alva noto, fennesz, melt-banana etc) but lots of stuff that resident advisor fans would like play there as well (some of the night slugs crew played their recently). its still my most favourite venue of all time and has a fantastic atmosphere - this is coming from someone who doesn't drink, typically doesn't like clubs and has been to at least 30 different venues in tokyo. because of its location it also has some amazingly well-dressed/good looking women as well.

Edited by conqueror

i'm not from the bay but maybe east coast has better burgers. i dunno. 

dismalfuture who has probs dined at more michelin starred restaurants than any of us loves blacows. 

just not my steez

i'm born and raised in NYC, been to all the usual good burger joints in NY and vicinity. but i gotta say Japan has better burgers in general. worth a bite i'd say. 

i'm born and raised in NYC, been to all the usual good burger joints in NY and vicinity. but i gotta say Japan has better burgers in general. worth a bite i'd say. 

NYC burgers tend to be simple like Lugers' burger or Minetta blacklabel, Tokyo burgers have too much going on for my taste, any recs for places that serve simple burgers with the best quality meat, aged maybe.

different strokes i guess, but if i was an american in japan for a few days i'd be wanting to eat as much soba/takoyaki/etc as possible as opposed to burgers (as much as i love them).

Seriously whenever I'm in Japan I just want to eat tsukemen, horumon, and sushi, burgers you can get anywhere in america.

I ate at Saizeriya for the first time in a long while last night.

Mind was blown how fucking cheap it was.

500 yen for all this food!

http://www.saizeriya.co.jp

menu_sub_imgham.jpg

My lunch with the misses was 6 small tacos, and mini churros  for 26 USD  from a fast food taco place.  I hate NYC.

Who's in for a Superfuture drinks and dinner meet Friday night?  We can hit drink after work then some food.

Fycus is in town.. Raj, you free?

I won't be free until around ~6-7pm friday night, but am down to try and grab dinner or if its too late drinks work

I have meetings till 17:30 anyway, so we can all meet up at 18:00 or so.

Tokyo has world class burgers, no question. If you're looking for a simpler approach, try Fellows and W.P Burger. My personal favs.

Side note, my friend works at this Kinbaku bar and she's been hounding me to visit so I rounded up some girls and went. It was a lot fun, all my girl friends really got into it, changing into costumes, whipping each other...was a riot. Kinbaku (Japanese bondage) would an interesting thing for your buddy I think, only in Japan experience at least.

My friend is the one tied up, what a champ lol

image1_zps8599ab57.jpeg

image_zpsb814f618.jpeg

image2_zps4b8668f2.jpeg

My friends in costume (bring girls if you can)

image3_zpsa382551b.jpeg

image4_zps98d605d1.jpeg

Bartender in a Game of Death jump suit was bonus

Edited by Chowda

Met up with Kiya yesterday, super nice guy. Got some grub then did some shopping at nepenthes, beams, rag tag, united arrows, etc., went to sushi for dinner. Feria at night, hot ass Russian girls all over the place. Anything going on Sunday or Monday?