japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

If you need just a cheap thing, run to Muji. I picked a duffle up for a Japan/Korea trip last year and it has served me really well for excess stuff.

I'd normally do that, but I bought a muji roller suitcase in Japan for the same reason just a couple months ago. Was 20,000Y so it wasn't as cheap as I thought it'd be either.

Ended up checking out of the hotel today, trucked it to Supreme daikanyama and bought a duffle for 12,000Y, ate lunch at Ogawaken, went to airport in good time, checked that bag in. Worked out well.

Leaving Tokyo today and I have more stuff than I came with, so I need to buy a bag I can check-in... Would I be wasting my time trying to buy a Supreme duffle? Are they gonna be sold out or what? Shibuya is way across town for me and I don't have lots of time.

get one from RIGHT ON!

one thing i have always wondered - how does the typical japanese person who is so used to ultra-politeness from shop staff fare when they are in harajuku or whatever when the staff don't give a shit? like, obviously a reg visitor would be used to it but i can imagine some older people who might occasionally go there for whatever reason would be pretty APPALLED.

what stores are u talking about conqueror?

I agree with xkhol about Supreme in harajuku. they are the only Supreme employess here that feel stand off-ish to me.

but I have never felt that in any other store i visit in the hara/aoyama such as neighborhood, black flag, FIL, BAPE OF etc

the only other store i felt lacked your typical Japanese customer service was Contemporary Fix but i did only go there once and there was only one guy there so I guess I cant really judge it on that

ironically, i remember supreme being one of the few stores in harajuku where they actually said hello (in english) and seemed like a typical jp retail store. i found bounty hunter and black flag had the weirdest sort of vibe, and it was the same both times i went (2 years apart). bounty hunter especialyl, i swear the du's were giving me daggers - maybe because i wasn't decked out in baggy streetwear? haha. obviously i don't give a shit, but i just found it really interesting and was always curious how a japanese person would have found it.

Supreme Harajuku staff are mad corny with their attitudes. All other Supreme staff are very nice and helpful but yeah I get what you're saying conq.

Most stores in Osaka had much friendlier staff compared to their Tokyo counterparts; at least from what I found.

if you're open to staying in kyoto and commuting to osaka when you want, i can give you a recommendation. I stayed at a place called Khaosan when i was visiting the Kansai region. it was a bit of a walk from the kyoto JR station, but if you don't mind taking a taxi (or riding the subway most of the time - as there's an entrance very close... and next to FIL.) the place was really clean, and the employees were very nice and helped us come up with our tourist itinerary (and they spoke fluent english, which made it easier). here's the website:

http://www.khaosan-tokyo.com/en/

ironically, i remember supreme being one of the few stores in harajuku where they actually said hello (in english) and seemed like a typical jp retail store. i found bounty hunter and black flag had the weirdest sort of vibe, and it was the same both times i went (2 years apart). bounty hunter especialyl, i swear the du's were giving me daggers - maybe because i wasn't decked out in baggy streetwear? haha. obviously i don't give a shit, but i just found it really interesting and was always curious how a japanese person would have found it.

i guess the general attitude of the retail scene has changed

busy work shop in the late 90's was the worst. i'm talking about the time when the racks were always nearly empty and we had to line up for tees.

undercover is still pretty bad.

if you are a white guy like yom, probably a different story.

if you are japanese and don't look like you "belong," you get pretty shitty service.

most of the time, it's not even bad service. it's indifference.

I walked into the nyc supreme recently, after like 6-7 years and I was shocked at how friendly the service was. WTF happened. People said hi, was helpful finding sizes, and gave me a shitload of stickers I didnt want.

I walked into the nyc supreme recently, after like 6-7 years and I was shocked at how friendly the service was. WTF happened. People said hi, was helpful finding sizes, and gave me a shitload of stickers I didnt want.

noticed the same thing about the LA one, pretty friendly.

Best hotel bar for what though? drinks? view? women? interior design (lol) ? If you had a pick a winner, wouldn't it be the Park Hyatt? I think the Hotel New Otani bar is the shit, it's cheesy 1970's style, the bartenders are boozehounds and are all sommeliers, they have everything but it's all under the counter and not a show, but I don't know if I could find a Japanese person who would agree with me that it's that great.

View and women at the Conrad are okay, typical 5 star hotel type Japanese women. View of Odaiba.

Bar at the Grand Hyatt just has lots of Japanese women who are excited to be in and around Roppongi Hills.

^^yeah, you're right. I guess in that order: drinks, view and then clientele/雰囲気. The New Otani bar sounds like a blast. Park Hyatt might very well be the best, I haven't been there in 4-5 years. On second thought I probably won't be passing by the places where many of these hotels are located (?), unless they're close to regular drinking spots or (like the NY bar or the Cerulean Tower bar etc). What about regular cocktail bars?