japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Wow, didn't realize that japan wasn't that dog friendly, and the company I'm negotiating with now has branches in multiple cities in japan, so I have a few options, it's still 7 months away, just trying to get prepared as possible. And yeah, the company is taking care of the relocation papers and all of that, I was just attempting to be a few steps ahead an already have a few places picked out. I'm meeting with them at the end of august, I guess a lot of it will be discussed then.

anybody who want to help in any way it's much appreciated

There is a wealth of knowledge between all the people on this board, but we need specific information if you want the above requested help.

So...

What kind of work???

Do you speak/read/write Japanese?

GF is what nationality?

Also, I read the tattoo thread now and again and your tatts may be a sticking issue since you can't hide some of them, but again that depends on the answer to the first question.

Leopalace are pretty good with foreigners (I am assuming you are not of Japanese decent)

http://en.leopalace21.com/

places are small but new and they are cheap and they dont mess around with massive amounts of key money etc. plus they are partially furnished (most places here come with nothing)

my wife and I were turned down twice (not by Leopalace) before we found our place based solely on the fact that I was a foreigner so dont be surprised if that happens

leopalace is the absolute worst, i heard. I've never stayed there but I've heard horror stories about them.

apparently, walls are paper-thin and you can actually hear your next door neighbor's typing sound. no fucking joke.

http://oshiete.homes.jp/qa2415528.html

http://2chcopipe.com/archives/51467390.html

i guess the advantage of living in leopalace is that you don't need a co-signer / guarantor.

i do hear that they have all kinds of hidden charges e.g. mandatory charge for on-demand tv / internet?

bringing a siberian husky to tokyo? lol. like that's gonna happen.

This looks legit, and it's only 1000Y for a pizza at lunch, no wonder people line up. I might try it next week.

don't go. it's just mediocre. i've had better pizza before. don't waste your money.

There is a wealth of knowledge between all the people on this board, but we need specific information if you want the above requested help.

So...

What kind of work???

Do you speak/read/write Japanese?

GF is what nationality?

Also, I read the tattoo thread now and again and your tatts may be a sticking issue since you can't hide some of them, but again that depends on the answer to the first question.

I will be doing international relations and sales for a clothing brand, not really allowed to talk about that all too much, they're mega secretive and shit,

I know very very little Japanese, and it's not required for the job.

My girlfriend (well, actually gonna be fiancée soon) is also American.

Like I said earlier I'm in the very beginning stages, I just received the job offer a few days ago, and the preliminary meeting is in august in LA, so I'll get ALOT more info then, I'm just trying to have some suggestions and shit to throw towards them for apartments and shit

Wow, didn't realize that japan wasn't that dog friendly, and the company I'm negotiating with now has branches in multiple cities in japan, so I have a few options, it's still 7 months away, just trying to get prepared as possible. And yeah, the company is taking care of the relocation papers and all of that, I was just attempting to be a few steps ahead an already have a few places picked out. I'm meeting with them at the end of august, I guess a lot of it will be discussed then.

in case you haven't checked into it yet, bringing a dog into Japan is quite a mess and the process takes 7 months +

http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/import-other.html

you could manage something not too far out central tokyo on 125K that's decent enough. my gf's sister had a pretty big 2LDK in Itabashi and she paid ~120K and the place was like 4 min away from ikebukuro and less than 30 to marunouchi so definitely light commute pretty much everywhere in centreal tokyo. there's ton of places like these in the outer wards that are worth looking into.

Also, be ready to have MASSIVE electricity bills, husky will need AC 24/7 from june-sept. and electricity is crazy expensive (not to mention is short supply currently).

leopalace is the absolute worst, i heard. I've never stayed there but I've heard horror stories about them.

apparently, walls are paper-thin and you can actually hear your next door neighbor's typing sound. no fucking joke.

http://oshiete.homes.jp/qa2415528.html

http://2chcopipe.com/archives/51467390.html

i guess the advantage of living in leopalace is that you don't need a co-signer / guarantor.

i do hear that they have all kinds of hidden charges e.g. mandatory charge for on-demand tv / internet?

bringing a siberian husky to tokyo? lol. like that's gonna happen.

strange. i lived in one for a year with none of those issues.

we even got all of our deposit back when we left.

they have a on-demand tv/internet service but its not mandatory. we never used the on-demand tv but had the internet, obviously.

i still think for short term stays they r useful

Greetings sufu TKY

I'm changing jobs and moving to Tokyo (from Singapore) on 11 September - I start work on September 26 and I intend to spend the first two weeks looking for an apartment; speaking bad Japanese; faffing around; acclimatising.

I'm in touch with a few friends-of-friends in the city but I'm basically starting anew, so if anyone here fancies getting a coffee / lunch / showing me about a little, that would be very cool.

Coffee's on me, obviously, in case that swings it.

If meeting strangers from internet sites is a little too punchy, advice regarding where I can meet bilingual Japanese and foreigners - other than Muse / Gas Panic - is also welcome. I'm taking Japanese lessons but won't be conversationally fluent by September.

Akuma,

Since you aren't doing the English teacher thing and your salary seems like it will be decent that makes things easier for you, but not easy.

I assume that your employer will act as guarantor, but ask them if there is a housing subsidy as it is common here.

Regarding the dog, I think most will advise against it and I would as well, but more for the sake of the dog than anything else. If, however you are dead set on it, this is prob the best advice so far:

I'd look at finding a bigger place in Chiba, Kanagawa, and Saitama and commuting.

You might want to start looking at the train lines to see which ones will allow you to live in a suburb of Tokyo and still not have a hellish commute with 4 transfers and a lot of walking; Wikipedia can be helpful and requires no English.

Gaijin pot can be really helpful for finding answers to specific questions, but there is a lot of vitriol and bullshit on those boards as well; grain of salt.

Leo Palace, I've lived in one and I would say that they are a good option short term or for noobs, but if renting for more than a year get a regular apt. as they tend to be a little on the high side, prob to cover the no key money stuff, so it kind of evens out in the end. However, the links that Herp provided do illustrate some legitimate complaints, but some of this shit is just funny

- 納豆をかき混ぜる音も.

- ティッシュを取る音が聞こえてくるのは当たり前、携帯のポチポチが聞こえることも.

Next level hearing.

- すかしっ屁の音が聞こえる、というか臭いもする

Motherfuckers must be ripping some mean ass farts to have that shit pass through walls... or they're fucking schizo?!

It is what it is, cheaply made housing with relatively easy access for students/single people/non-Japanese in transitory periods of their lives. People live there, people move around and make sounds, shit happens, IDK.

Anyway, probably not applicable for Akuma, but just throwing another opinion out there.

Yay! Earthquake

LOLZ

w22k5y.png

Greetings sufu TKY

I'm changing jobs and moving to Tokyo (from Singapore) on 11 September - I start work on September 26 and I intend to spend the first two weeks looking for an apartment; speaking bad Japanese; faffing around; acclimatising.

I'm in touch with a few friends-of-friends in the city but I'm basically starting anew, so if anyone here fancies getting a coffee / lunch / showing me about a little, that would be very cool.

Coffee's on me, obviously, in case that swings it.

If meeting strangers from internet sites is a little too punchy, advice regarding where I can meet bilingual Japanese and foreigners - other than Muse / Gas Panic - is also welcome. I'm taking Japanese lessons but won't be conversationally fluent by September.

Don't be hatin on Muse, bro!

Haha. Actually, I've never been to Muse. I was just name dropping.

I visited Tokyo for the first time with a friend this March (the quake hit on the last day of our holiday) and checked out:

- Feria (I was alone on the first night and figured this was a safe bet);

- Le Baron (average on a Wednesday)

- Lex (ladies night, sure);

- Vanity (hated it; might be better with a table); and

- many whiskey-jazz bars and smaller finds outside of Roppongi.

Haha. Actually, I've never been to Muse. I was just name dropping.

I visited Tokyo for the first time with a friend this March (the quake hit on the last day of our holiday) and checked out:

- Feria (I was alone on the first night and figured this was a safe bet);

- Le Baron (average on a Wednesday)

- Lex (ladies night, sure);

- Vanity (hated it; might be better with a table); and

- many whiskey-jazz bars and smaller finds outside of Roppongi.

hard to please, no?

FIL on google maps is wrong - this is where you need to go (down the stairs): http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Harajuku+Station,+Japan&hl=en&ll=35.666684,139.707186&spn=0.005265,0.011689&sll=35.660585,139.728725&sspn=0.01053,0.023378&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=35.666753,139.707132&panoid=wYdBj-1GxEBcy1pAewxNZw&cbp=12,88.07,,0,2.81

FYI: FIL was closed today and it's closed this Friday too, as FW11 launches on Saturday.

thanks man, will try again tomorrow, but im on my ipad so i cant really see anything on that map? does any one have the 3 numbers for the address that i can put into my iphone to get there/ never been before.

thanks man, will try again tomorrow, but im on my ipad so i cant really see anything on that map? does any one have the 3 numbers for the address that i can put into my iphone to get there/ never been before.

You know where the huge Dior/DH store on Omotesando is?

Go behind the store, literally behind the building down the small street, walk 200 feet and it's the first store on your left down the stairs.

I will be doing international relations and sales for a clothing brand, not really allowed to talk about that all too much, they're mega secretive and shit,

I know very very little Japanese, and it's not required for the job.

My girlfriend (well, actually gonna be fiancée soon) is also American.

Like I said earlier I'm in the very beginning stages, I just received the job offer a few days ago, and the preliminary meeting is in august in LA, so I'll get ALOT more info then, I'm just trying to have some suggestions and shit to throw towards them for apartments and shit

congrats dude, guess we're not starting a hardcore band!

Leaving Tokyo today and I have more stuff than I came with, so I need to buy a bag I can check-in... Would I be wasting my time trying to buy a Supreme duffle? Are they gonna be sold out or what? Shibuya is way across town for me and I don't have lots of time.