japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Just wondering, are there finance jobs out there for people who don't speak Japanese? I know Japan isn't really the place to be for finance, but people say the expat lifestyle is awesome.

Is there any optimism about the economy going forward?

John Lawrence Sullivan Archive Sale

7/16-18 @ the flagship stores

Runway samples, pieces from the archive, & s/s items.

テーラリングをベースにしたスポーティかつモードなコレクションを展開する人気ブランド『ジョン ローレンス サリバン(JOHN LAWRENCE SULLIVAN)』が7月16日(土)から18日(月)までの3日間、東京・京都の直営店にてアーカイヴセールを開催する。

今回のセールでは、ショーピースやサンプル、過去商品など、多彩なアイテムをスペシャルプライスで放出。なかでも、素材変更のため、一部セール価格となった3ピーススーツなどの人気定番商品には注目だ。

その他、詳細については以下の問い合わせ先より。

問い合わせ先

中目黒店

営業時間:12:00-20:00

場所:東京都目黒区青葉台1-19-7 Msビル1F MAP

TEL:03-5428-0068

京都店

営業時間:10:30-20:00

場所:京都府京都市下京区四条寺町藤井大丸7F MAP

TEL:075-212-0345

recommended izakayas or eats in ikebukuro?

tabelog.jp

though it's gotten pretty unreliable.

the best places are usually 3 to 3.5 stars.

Blackflag final sale

The store will be closing its doors in mid August in preparation for the grand opening of the wtaps tokyo flagship.

July 30 to August 7 (30% off from now until the final sale starts).

Brands on sale include: wtaps, wackomaria, rats, and etc

regular great burger with fries (no drink) is like 1300 yen.

mastermind great burger is 2800 yen. you get to take home the plate though.

last time is was ramen. the first time, i recall, was beer.

regular great burger with fries (no drink) is like 1300 yen.

mastermind great burger is 2800 yen. you get to take home the plate though.

last time is was ramen. the first time, i recall, was beer.

beer and coffee

Hey everyone,

I'm excited to say that I'm going to Japan for the first time tomorrow, definitely the highlight of my Asia trip this year. Trying to get prepared, I spent a considerable amount of money on Japanese catalogs and magazines (Toys McCoy, Lightning, etc) to try to get an idea of what shops are available in the Tokyo district. However, upon looking at these magazines and online sources, I was overwhelmed with the sheer amount of shops that I could visit.

That being said, I'm trying to see if I can get some first-hand recommendations from you all on places that offer the goods I'm looking for at reasonable prices :)

Specifically:

• Buzz Rickson - looking for the William Gibson MA-1
  • Toys McCoy/ Real McCoy
  • Long leather wallets - brands and shops less known outside of Japan
  • Iron Heart, Flat Head - looking for slimmer cuts

I suppose I'm looking for shops that have a good assortment of products, or at the very least a thorough collection of a certain brand, that way I can try on different sizes to get a better feel of the fit. I haven't been fortunate enough to get a chance to try this stuff on back in the states :(

PS - staying in the Shinjuku (Prince Hotel)

Thanks so much in advance,

David

If you are into the whole denim/americana-repro thing, it's better to ask Kiya or someone in superdenim.

With that said, good Americana/Amerkaji/outdoor hybrid select/concept stores I can think of:

-Beams+ (harajuku) or any of the beams

-Vulture journal standard+ (shibuya) - lots of stores in close proximity

-Hollywood ranch market (daikanyama)

-freak's store (shibuya)

-mr. hearts by freaks store (shibuya)

-united arrows blue label store (?) - (harajuku)

-the back drop (shibuya) - YOU MUST GO. AMERICANA.

-nanamica (daikanyama) - TNF

-Hi! Standard (daikanyama) - american products you've never seen in america

-record (laforet harajuku and daikanyama) - expensive imported cool guy americana?

-trove (shibuya)

-JAM tokyo (harajuku - probably impossible to find) - voyage by waste twice

-made in the world (harajuku) - tenderloin and etc

-isetan shinjuku - hodge podge of everything. they carry white mountaineering

-standard california (ebisu) - htc and assorted americana

-engineered garments (aoyama)

-nepenthes tokyo (shibuya)

-mr. hoollywood

-vendor (nakameguro) - nonnative

-vase (don't know if it's still open but in nakame)

-mansion of owls (nakame)

-1LDK (nakame)

-record (nakame)

-waingman wassa (nakame)

vintage

-santa monica

-go getter

-voice

-telepathy route

others not necessarily americana but crazy

1) 10 corso como

2) edition omotesando

3) restir

4) barneys ginza

5) contemporary fix (dopeness to the max)

6) maison martin margiela @ omotesando gyre

7) niketown (yeah)

8) international gallery beams

9) ron herman

10) (i love) faline

i'm sure there's a lot more

There were a couple shops along Seibu Shinjuku Station, you might want to check out. Not an expert on fashion but they seemed to carry the brands discussed here. Since you are staying at the Price Hotel, you are seconds away from the shops too.

there's tons of neapolitan style pizza in Tokyo, most of it is at least good or better. Haven't really heard of any one particular name for pizza, but if you stick with someplace touting Napoli pizza, it'll probably be decent.

someone will lynch me, but the large margertia or pepperoni pizza at saizeriya (only 900Y or something) is better than most i've had there - just ignore the rest of the menu haha. imo its even better than most pizza here (aus), even at that peasant price-point anyway -

you can get a decent pizza for like 1500Y in Japan. Won't be very big, everyone would need one of their own, but again, I think the availability of good Neapolitan pizza itself is a good thing.

someone will lynch me, but the large margertia or pepperoni pizza at saizeriya (only 900Y or something) is better than most i've had there - just ignore the rest of the menu haha. imo its even better than most pizza here (aus), even at that peasant price-point anyway -

honestly i didn't think it was that bad either. i remember eating in the basement of an ito yokada once with the only options being ファッキン, Saizeriya, and some shitty noodle place. went with the margherita pizza too and it wasn't too bad. tasted better than whatever the american equivalent would be (sbarro?).

other than that i remember going to a place in Mitaka (forget the name... started with a 'B(a)' i think. it was across from big echo if anyone knows the area). it was all you can eat, and not bad at all. other than that i heard good things about this place called Partenope in Ebisu (never went though, but a few of my friends did and really seemed to enjoy it). there was another place in Roppongi i heard good things about, forgot the name of that place, too.

Salvatore Cuomo is driving the bottom line on mainstream J-Napoli pizzas, his are like 1500Y, pretty consistent and above average I guess. Stores everywhere, delivery too. (not that you'd really want a delivery napoli pizza)

The only pizza place I go to regularly is Al Forno in Shibuya. It's just across expressway 3 when coming from the station, cerulean tower side. Great pizzas, priced around 1500-2000 yen. Few seats though, 15 or so, so might need to reserve or line up even on a weeknight. All seats are counter seats except for a table on the second floor.

Anyone know of a car rental company that rents out import (non-jap) cars in Tokyo? Tired of driving my kei and I want to test drive something else, don't care if it's American, European, big, or small.

I got a Japanese driver's license but no Japanese credit card, if they require it.

fuck. i feel like an idiot making a long post in reply to some du who wanted the amekaji denim daddy outfit\\

pizza

parentessi in sangenjyaya

il lupone in nakame

the one pizza joint on yamate dori near donki is some overhyped garbage

I've actually not been to this place, but is always packed with a line every time I have walked by, easy access from Nakameguro stn.

http://www.da-isa.jp/links.html

This was recommended by a fellow SuFuer in this thread a long time ago... I wanna say Salary man, but not 100%

http://www.bellavita.co.jp/napule/index.html

other than that i heard good things about this place called Partenope in Ebisu (never went though, but a few of my friends did and really seemed to enjoy it).

http://www.partenope.jp/shop/ebisu.html

Been here a few times and its always pretty good, but not mind blowing.

I've actually not been to this place, but is always packed with a line every time I have walked by, easy access from Nakameguro stn.

http://www.da-isa.jp/links.html

mes and its always pretty good, but not mind blowing.

This looks legit, and it's only 1000Y for a pizza at lunch, no wonder people line up. I might try it next week.