japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Looks like I'm gonna be free tomorrow night, will be at the new otani so shinjuku, roppongi, etc would be ok. You guys free for a beer? Kiya?

Let's do it.

I'm staying at the Granbell (Shibuya), my regular hotel.. I can be free anything after 6pm or 6:30pm.

I can do beer, whiskey/shochu, dinner, or all three.

Let's do it.

I'm staying at the Granbell (Shibuya), my regular hotel.. I can be free anything after 6pm or 6:30pm.

I can do beer, whiskey/shochu, dinner, or all three.

Alright, roppongi is a nice midway point between shibuya and chiyoda, so say 7:30ish might be good? Gonna be hot tomorrow so I'm kinda in the mood for yakitori and some cold brews, any recommendations for that? I'm gonna rent a phone when I get in tmrw morning and I'll drop you my number.

RiotC, are you down tomorrow?

Guys, let's meet up with a B.A.L.L.A. at Roppongi Hills, on the corner there in front of Heartland at 7 tomorrow. He said he was gonna take care of getting us some reservations someplace.

Alright, roppongi is a nice midway point between shibuya and chiyoda, so say 7:30ish might be good? Gonna be hot tomorrow so I'm kinda in the mood for yakitori and some cold brews, any recommendations for that? I'm gonna rent a phone when I get in tmrw morning and I'll drop you my number.

I can probably even do 7pm (friday night)

Roppongi sounds good. Where we meeting?

Give me an address or map or something.. will PM you phone number now.

Good, 7pm Friday it is, meet up in front of the entrance of Heartland on the corner there at Roppongi Hills. We'll have reservations for some yakitori. I'll ping you my rental number once I get it tomorrow.

meet on the little corner here:

161b7me.jpg

I'll be there at 7pm too. I have to jet out of the area at 10pm though, should give us enough time for food and beers..

RiotC, are you down tomorrow?

Guys, let's meet up with a B.A.L.L.A. at Roppongi Hills, on the corner there in front of Heartland at 7 tomorrow. He said he was gonna take care of getting us some reservations someplace.

i can't make it tonight .

sorry for the late reply as well though .

you guys on for other nights ?

• 2 weeks later...

For my trip last week, I got on Expedia and got the Hotel New Otani for bout $175/night (for two people) - considering the yen lately and the 2 person allowance I think it was a good deal. Room was large (45 square meters I think, King size bed) and the service was good, never had to carry anything once at the hotel, called the front for everything. One night they took some fruit I'd bought at a supermarket, took it a kitchen and had it sliced up and presented properly, then rolled it back up on a cart, room-service style - at about 3 or 4am.

The amenities were good, they had two Kyubei sushi restaurants in there (and the 9-piece was available on the room service menu for 3800Y) La Tour D'Argent, the Pierre Herme and Satsuki patisseries - all places that Japanese people come in for even if not staying at the hotel.

The hotel is kind of a throwback to 1970's and 1980's Japan, but I like that. The in-house cocktail bar was exactly as it would've been in 1974 when it opened, and the drinks were really well-made and they had everything. Got drunk one night there, probably had about 10 or 12 really good hard drinks/cocktails between the two of us and the bill was 17,500Y or so, and considering that included a 10% service charge, it was quite fair IMO.

The subway is not convenient, it'd be a 20 minute walk, but they have plenty of cabs out front and the hotel is near the Imperial Palace, triangular to Shinjuku and Shibuya/Minato, so cab fares were not much. To Shinjuku or Omotesando it was about 1200Y, to Ebisu about 2000Y. Didn't go to Ginza or Nihonbashi but it would've been about 1200Y I think, pretty close.

I'm gonna try a different hotel when I'm there in August but the New Otani was really enjoyable.

which men's clothing store in Tokyo you often go?

let me know your recommendation.

Here's a quick list (it's late and I'm tired) of places I usually like to hit when I'm in Tokyo:

CDG, Aoyama

10 Corso Como CDG - right around the corner from the CDG main shop. CDG + various other select brands.

Isetan Men's, Shinjuku - 5 floors with all the high end brands you can think of.

Undercover, Aoyama

United Arrows - mid-level brand, good for basics if you're into that sort of thing

Journal Standard - ditto

Beams - ditto

Uniqlo - nice t-shirts

yeah, it was right there. I like that area a lot actually, nice and green and a bit quiet for being in the center of Tokyo. I rode in a cab from Tokyo-eki to the hotel and passed by there. Nice to see all the joggers running around the palace, I'd do that too if I lived around there. Good rents up there, or still expensive? My girl wants to live in the typical places, Ebisu/Daikanyama, Minami Aoyama, Hiroo, Azabu, etc.

yeah, it was right there. I like that area a lot actually, nice and green and a bit quiet for being in the center of Tokyo. I rode in a cab from Tokyo-eki to the hotel and passed by there. Nice to see all the joggers running around the palace, I'd do that too if I lived around there. Good rents up there, or still expensive? My girl wants to live in the typical places, Ebisu/Daikanyama, Minami Aoyama, Hiroo, Azabu, etc.

Interesting thought.

The eastern area of Tokyo is really blowing up.

I went to Imahan in Ningyouchou with a friend back in February.

The town is full of office buildings but there is a lot of renowned old school restaurants and stores.

Yanaka / Nippori area is also dope. Check it out if you guys ever have a chance.

Tateishi is apparently a super awesome spot. There's a bunch of bars that are open during the day. Ojisan getting wasted everywhere. Insanely good but cheap bar food everywhere.

This is non-tokyo, but anyone ever spent much time in kyushu? I'm heading to fukuoka to booze and would like to check out some of the cool nearby shit beyond nagasaki/kumamoto. Sort of considering heading to kagoshima but I have no idea what there is to do there or if I'd just be bored out of my mind.

As for real estate in that area near the Otani, stuff is still really expensive -- it might be cheaper on the NW side of Yotsuya eki though.

This is non-tokyo, but anyone ever spent much time in kyushu? I'm heading to fukuoka to booze and would like to check out some of the cool nearby shit beyond nagasaki/kumamoto. Sort of considering heading to kagoshima but I have no idea what there is to do there or if I'd just be bored out of my mind.

As for real estate in that area near the Otani, stuff is still really expensive -- it might be cheaper on the NW side of Yotsuya eki though.

mrs ming is from kyushu (oita) but the only time we go there is to see her parents, which is cool, but not exactly an attraction for anyone else.

my advice? skip oita if you're in kyushu.

mrs Kasper is from Kyushu as well (she was born in Kagoshima, but raised in Nagoya) ;)

I've been there a couple time and i kind of like it. Kagoshima is a cool, pretty laid back town. Miyazaki has some pretty good surf if you're into that

Ended up doing pretty touristy stuff like wandering Reigando + the kumamoto castle but it was nonetheless pretty awesome. Got stuck for like 2+ hours at some random middle of nowhere rest stop and had some old lady explain to me the history of musashi and the area.

Didn't get a chance to stick around to check out kumamoto nightlife though...

Tokyo feels kind of grey now. >.<

Ended up doing pretty touristy stuff like wandering Reigando + the kumamoto castle but it was nonetheless pretty awesome. Got stuck for like 2+ hours at some random middle of nowhere rest stop and had some old lady explain to me the history of musashi and the area.

Didn't get a chance to stick around to check out kumamoto nightlife though...

Tokyo feels kind of grey now. >.<