japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Don't think you boys will be flying in anytime soon, the govt has requested that all non essential travel plans be cancelled.

I know Stylistics and a few other Superfuture peeps are in Sendai, hope they are all safe. Shit is crazy from the footage.

talked to my buddy in Yokohoma - things are fine there (they were far enough from the center), tho I don't think trains are running. Trying to figure out who to talk to to see if I can go and how I can adjust travel plans. Airlines are about as quiet as possible

and as I post that: http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-japan-earthquake-airlines-20110311,0,2646860.story

Seems like they are waiving change fees for some flights, depending on the airline.

talked to my buddy in Yokohoma - things are fine there (they were far enough from the center), tho I don't think trains are running. Trying to figure out who to talk to to see if I can go and how I can adjust travel plans. Airlines are about as quiet as possible

and as I post that: http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-japan-earthquake-airlines-20110311,0,2646860.story

Seems like they are waiving change fees for some flights, depending on the airline.

my family is fine.

softbank is totally fucked.

flight schedules are totally messed up with emergency flights and what no

so much false info on twitter.

trains in tokyo seem to be running.

what's the practicality of traveling to Japan in the next week? my wife and I had planned a March trip months ago and bought tickets. she's already there and, unfortunately, experienced the quake. I'm supposed to fly out Friday, though I'm thinking of changing the date to sometime next week, since it's free of charge to do so. is this a fool's errand? I would really like to go and be with my wife.

I'd probably wait until things get back to normal, but by Friday you may be fine. As I write this, there are increased radiation levels in Tokyo (although they are reported to be falling after rising to 10 times normal levels), but in more immediate and practical terms the main hassle is going to be trains. Depending on the line, trains may be running at 50% capacity (or whatever, there are too many different lines) and they are packed to the gills. People are hording food, gas, etc.

Assuming nothing else happens with the nuclear reactors in Fukushima, you might be ok leaving this Fri, but there was another fire reported this morning at a site where spent fuel rods are kept.

Like I said, you might be ok, but if it were me I'd wait as it will probably allow you to have a better time.

i canceled my flight, and the guy i was going to go visit is heading back to canada too. if your wife is there that probably changes your opinion a bit but I'd try and get her back over going there...

Does your wife has to stay there??

If it is just for a holiday, I would ask her to return.

You can probably get your trip annulled and save the money for visiting another time.

Trust me having worked in past tsunami Indo wasnt fun...

No one seems to have a clue what is going to happen with the reactors over there.

95% of the dutch press is leaving because of the radation scare so better safe then sorry, let her get home and visit in a year or two when all is back to normal...

No one seems to have a clue what is going to happen with the reactors over there.

95% of the dutch press is leaving because of the radation scare so better safe then sorry, let her get home and visit in a year or two when all is back to normal...

A year or two? You think you might be overREACT(or)ing?!??

He is going to Tokyo, not Fukushima/Sendai/Miyagi/et al. Media got yall knukkas shook. Even in the event of a full on nuclear meltdown this isn't going to be another Chernobyl as those were older tech (they used carbon and water and are now banned worldwide with the exception of Russia, perhaps most importantly they didn't have containment buildings).

Have a little more time to decide but leaning toward canceling and getting a refund ticket voucher, and wife's thinking of coming back early.

As for the nuclear stuff, I believe the reality is somewhere between the alarmist news reports and the Japanese government's beating around the bush.

Have a little more time to decide but leaning toward canceling and getting a refund ticket voucher, and wife's thinking of coming back early.

As for the nuclear stuff, I believe the reality is somewhere between the alarmist news reports and the Japanese government's beating around the bush.

Yeah, prob true as the govt must depend on TEPCO (who has a history of covering shit up) for info and they obviously have a vested interest in keeping an air of calm and the appearance of control, so there will be the proverbial beating about the pixelated bush, as is the Japanese custom in many a situation.

In other news, Gaddafi has gotta be happy as fuck about this.

TEPCO might actually be at fault here, they're trying to decide if this incident can be overruled by the natural disaster claim passed 40 years ago saying a company is not liable of damages done by unforeseeable natural disaster. But some of the government is arguing that tsunamis and earthquakes in japan should have been expected and precautions may not have been serious enough.

There are so many complications in this situation that we'll just have to wait and see how things turn out. The relaying of info between TEPCO, the PM, and the media is just making half the shit you read inaccurate.

I've canceled my plans to fly into Narita this Friday and have asked people I know in Tokyo to come home for the time being. Better safe then sorry... who knows what's really going on and what could happen.

I think waiting a year or two is over-reaction, but it seem slike 3-4 months might be a good idea. Anyone non-essential over there is just using water/food/power/etc that is in short supply and should be going to the people who live there.

what's the practicality of traveling to Japan in the next week? my wife and I had planned a March trip months ago and bought tickets. she's already there and, unfortunately, experienced the quake. I'm supposed to fly out Friday, though I'm thinking of changing the date to sometime next week, since it's free of charge to do so. is this a fool's errand? I would really like to go and be with my wife.

i would honestly suggest you postponing your plans for the trip.

nuclear-talk aside, the city is functioning at half-capacity. pretty pointless to visit if you ask me, streets are empty, convenience/utility shops are empty, eateries close damn early.

of course, unless your trip is of a non-vacation purpose, then it could be justified. but if otherwise, nah.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a flight to Tokyo for May 9th. Will things will be ok by then or would it be smart to switch to Osaka or Kyoto? Ill be in Japan for a month so Id really like to go to Tokyo either way.

What wouldn't be ok? Unless you want to buy more than one carton of milk a day at the super...

Edit: For content. I live in Tokyo and its fine. Shops are closing an hour or two earlier and keeping the lights off outside but otherwise it seems normal to me.

I have a flight to Tokyo for May 9th. Will things will be ok by then or would it be smart to switch to Osaka or Kyoto? Ill be in Japan for a month so Id really like to go to Tokyo either way.

Have you actually read any of the news reports?

What wouldn't be ok?
Have you actually read any of the news reports?

I guess these two replies kind of point to the fact that we need a little more info about the particulars of your trip to make a judgment call, but given the uncertainty of the reactors in Fukushima I would personally wait. I say this in spite of the fact that radiation is at low/negligible levels.

English info here: http://metropolis.co.jp/quake/quake-2011-03/tokyo-tap-water-information/

As has been mentioned in previous posts, detailed information has not been what I would call forthcoming and no one knows what could happen down the line.

Also, gieger counter streaming vid here:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/geiger-counter-tokyo

(offline as of this writing, but comes and goes).

Actually, I basically just like Kansai better in almost all respects, so just go there for the month, okonomiyaki FTW!

does anyone have an invite code to jpopsuki and jpmp3.com

i totally fucked up my accounts at both of those sites.

any help is appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

anyone have any recommendations for coworking space? (Or cafes I can leech wifi and code/research at?) I'm considering spending the summer in jland, and hate the idea of sitting in an apartment there working.

Moboff seems to run a few, including this cafe. I'm pretty accustomed to only working at coffee shops but I'm not sure it's as socially acceptable...