japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

any good ideas for chistmas eve? i was thinking of going to yokohama. the whole omotesando / roppongi hills shit is getting hella old.

plus the idea of having a mediocre meal at a semi-fancy restaurant sounds pretty stupid but girls love romantic shit.

KENTUCKY+Strawberry shortcake

So, you people here probably get asked this a lot, but I'm too lazy to read through almost 700 pages of this thread...

But I'm going to Tokyo for the first time (Asia for the first time) in January. Will be there for about a month for a study abroad program. I just want to know some fun/cool/interesting things to do while I'm there. Anything music related is cool(any jazz clubs/venues?), FOOD, toys/electronics...pretty much anything cool. And cool places to explore things myself....as well as some nice picture-esque places to visit.

I'll be staying in the Yoyogi area? Anything happen around there?

I also want to bring back some nice stuff (not crappy souvenir shop stuff) for my family...any recommendations?

This ended up being a really long, multiple-part question...but any help would be so much appreciated. I wanna have some idea of what to do when I'm there, so yeah.

So, you people here probably get asked this a lot, but I'm too lazy to read through almost 700 pages of this thread...

But I'm going to Tokyo for the first time (Asia for the first time) in January. Will be there for about a month for a study abroad program. I just want to know some fun/cool/interesting things to do while I'm there. Anything music related is cool(any jazz clubs/venues?), FOOD, toys/electronics...pretty much anything cool. And cool places to explore things myself....as well as some nice picture-esque places to visit.

I'll be staying in the Yoyogi area? Anything happen around there?

I also want to bring back some nice stuff (not crappy souvenir shop stuff) for my family...any recommendations?

This ended up being a really long, multiple-part question...but any help would be so much appreciated. I wanna have some idea of what to do when I'm there, so yeah.

The oh-so-obligatory answer:

Shinjuku 2-chome

Anything music related is cool(any jazz clubs/venues?),
Japan has the whole ジャズ喫茶/jazz cafe culture with plenty of small cafe/bars around to just drink coffee and listen to jazz throughout the day and some with live performances. The area Asagaya has a nice gathering of them.

The great record store chain Disk Union has a jazz-specific megastore in Shinjuku.

As for live concerts; Pit Inn is probably the best bet for something easily accessible for great shows. http://www.pit-inn.com/index_e.html

any of you guys ever do haikyo/urban exploring in japan?

I just came across this blog: http://gakuranman.com/a-return-to-the-sepulchral-doctors-shack/

and was curious if you'd ever done similar stuff. Pretty sweet!

^ Is that the guy from Sufu? I swear someone was posting stuff just like that in this thread. Would go out to BFN and find the coolest shit.

No idea, just ran across it on Metafilter when I got bored earlier. Where's ruach these days?

I'm back in Seattle now. I was in Tokyo for ten days in October then Seoul for three weeks. Unfortunately didn't have enough time to really dig into haikyo stuff this time but instead did a lot with my other interest of old apartments, 団地, etc.

img1598r.jpg

img1617w.jpg

img15680.jpg

img1578l.jpg

img1737.jpg

img1711j.jpg

img1703y.jpg

img18080.jpg

img1814m.jpg

img18150.jpg

Dingbat packing tape, excellent.

Hard to tell in this pic;

img15680.jpg

They have netting up to protect from spalling masonry? Is the commercial mostly vacant at the bottom too? Looks like the hana-ya is aggressively expanding. Any reason why they wouldn't just redevelop the whole line of them?

There is one business operating from the top two floors and a handful along the bottom. The netting is indeed to protect people passing by from the possibility of crumbling masonry.

It was one of the new concrete reinforced buildings built after the Great Kanto Earthquake (along with the doujunkai apartments, etc) and obviously needs some love. I am not sure its current status, but I do believe it is registered as an important historic structure and protected from redevelopment.

in tokyo right now with two of my friends. what are some good night life spots/acitivities for a tuesday, wednesday and thursday night?

thinking about hitting club atom and womb this weekend any recommendations on which nights to go, and also if they are any good?

If you like hip hop, DJ Kango's party, Red Zone, at Harlem in Shibuya is an institution for Tuesdays. Younger crowd for sure, but can be lots of fun.

db

Also quite interested in clubs & restaurants. Gonna be in Tokyo next tues for the first time for 5 days.

I got the superfuture app and shitload of recommends. But now I am kinda overwhelmed with choices. Maybe 3 must-visit club/bars and 3 must-visit restaurants?

Hopefully not too far from the beaten path cuz I ain't got no time to get lost. Too much shit to kop.

too many restaurants in Tokyo, toss what specific type of food you want to eat, price range, whether you can read/speak japanese, and people here will give recs.

Hrm. Can't read Japanese, can figure out some things from Kanji. Price range. Happy to pay up to 4.5K for a meal. Any great Japanese food. Anything unique and hard to find elsewhere. Im from Sydney/Hong Kong so, that gives you some context.

I guess a great sushi place would be good. Great Karage place maybe? I don't really care what food, just places that are unique finds...

Thanks Spoona!

Any locals in Tokyo know where's good to party during this new years eve and new years day? Not fussed about music as long as its a good experience. Going to be a big group so any recommendations would be appreciated guys. Roppongi? Omotesando?

http://iflyer.tv/upcoming/events/on/2010-12-31

any one of the events with lots of attendees