japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

A friend is going to Tokyo, was thinking of having her nab some dry bones red-d's. Anyone know of shops that carry them? And about how much they would be?

the dry bones store would be the best option. they are quite close to the evisu store, and their website has a lot of info: http://www.dry-bones.com/

Do many shops around Tokyo carry size 50 (american L) stuff, or am I gonna be completely out of luck unless I'm shopping for jeans and shit?

you may be able to find some stuff, but it might be tough. in my experience, clothes labeled a medium in the US are labeled large in japan, so you should probably go up a size there. my wife ended up with a cool sweatshirt and t-shirt i got at an MMA event there, which once opened proved to be too small for me.

2 days during mid-december for a stop-over.

What 2 do?

record shopping (you can find anything on vinyl in tokyo), conveyor sushi (look for the places with a long wait to get in), denim shopping.

that's what i do anyway.

Going at the beginning of next month (4th to the 15th), anyone going to be around/know of anything going on around then? Basically my only plans so far are eating, drinking and shopping.

Also, trying to decide where outside tokyo I should go. Kyoto, Osaka, somewhere else, or stay in/around Tokyo the whole time?

Going at the beginning of next month (4th to the 15th), anyone going to be around/know of anything going on around then? Basically my only plans so far are eating, drinking and shopping.

Also, trying to decide where outside tokyo I should go. Kyoto, Osaka, somewhere else, or stay in/around Tokyo the whole time?

anything going on?

that's too generic for anyone to answer.

clubs\ events? concerts?

I'd look at iflyer.jp and last.fm events section.

Organized events tend to be pretty boring. Fireworks and festivals = exception.

we know the city inside out but it's really hard to point you guys in the right direction unless you give us more specific. questions.

i doubt that there's anything major going on.

all the music festivals will have ended by september.

tokyo walker (a magazine) and R25 (free booklet thingy you pick up a trainstation - every thursday. shit gets killed really fast) has a pretty decent list of "main stream" events. sucks if you can't read japanese.

there are some online event calendars but they all suck for some reason. jbeezies don't use the internetz. paper rules.

http://www.enjoytokyo.jp/amuse/

http://www.metro.tokyo.jp/HISTORY/event.htm

your best bet is to go to cool guy boutiques and cafes to pick up flyers.

the biggest issue here is that the selection of flyers differs store to store

studying abroad in tokyo starting next week. so fuckin excited - been checking this thread for the past few months in anticipation. it's been entertaining, to say the least.

i have a quick question (i searched, but didn't find anything that answered my question directly):

i fly into narita on a sunday around 4pm, but can't check into my dorm room until the next morning. does anyone have a suggestion for a nice hotel for one night (close to a N'EX so i can get to mitaka the next morning)?

any other suggestions are also appreciated. thanks guys

studying abroad in tokyo starting next week. so fuckin excited - been checking this thread for the past few months in anticipation. it's been entertaining, to say the least.

i have a quick question (i searched, but didn't find anything that answered my question directly):

i fly into narita on a sunday around 4pm, but can't check into my dorm room until the next morning. does anyone have a suggestion for a nice hotel for one night (close to a N'EX so i can get to mitaka the next morning)?

To get to Mitaka by train, you need to use the JR Chuo-line.

The easiest way to take the Chuo-line is from Shinjuku.

One problem with NEX is that the stops are different with each train. Every NEX stops at Tokyo and Shinyokohama.

There are not many budget hotels around Tokyo station.

What I suggest

1) Stay in Shinjuku. Pro: super close to mitaka con: train station is a maze + getting to the hotel will be FUCKING hard given that you've never been there

2) Stay in Shinagawa Prince hotel. Pro: cheap, clean, and across from the shinagawa train station. If you hop on a NEX that goes to shinagawa, this is easy. You just take JR yamanote into Shinjuku the next AM. Con: nothing to see around shinagawa. Aquarium and movie theater. Shitty food options.

3) Take an NEX that goes straight to Shinjuku. Go to Mitaka. Go to the 24 hour macdonald's. It's safe.

You guys won't be able to use internet cafes from now on. As of August 1, every internet cafe requires an ID that shows proof of residence (passport won't work).

I'm guessing you are doing an exchange at ICU?

You must go to UPenn?

I like specific questions like this.

Hotel new ohtani in Tamachi is a decent option.

The hotel kinda blows but you can stay for like 80 bucks.

You can even reserve on the day of.

Thanks to yoyaq.com

back in the US as well, after a looooong vacation travelling across Japan and visiting family. In Tokyo, I was staying at a comfy little place I discovered last summer, a few stops away from shinjuku on the chuo line. Had an absolute blast, as expected. Now I gotta start squirreling away money for next year.

Anybody check the tokyo bay hanabi taikai?

To get to Mitaka by train, you need to use the JR Chuo-line.

The easiest way to take the Chuo-line is from Shinjuku.

One problem with NEX is that the stops are different with each train. Every NEX stops at Tokyo and Shinyokohama.

There are not many budget hotels around Tokyo station.

What I suggest

1) Stay in Shinjuku. Pro: super close to mitaka con: train station is a maze + getting to the hotel will be FUCKING hard given that you've never been there

2) Stay in Shinagawa Prince hotel. Pro: cheap, clean, and across from the shinagawa train station. If you hop on a NEX that goes to shinagawa, this is easy. You just take JR yamanote into Shinjuku the next AM. Con: nothing to see around shinagawa. Aquarium and movie theater. Shitty food options.

3) Take an NEX that goes straight to Shinjuku. Go to Mitaka. Go to the 24 hour macdonald's. It's safe.

You guys won't be able to use internet cafes from now on. As of August 1, every internet cafe requires an ID that shows proof of residence (passport won't work).

I'm guessing you are doing an exchange at ICU?

You must go to UPenn?

I like specific questions like this.

i'd be down to stay in shinjuku for a night then head out to Mitaka in the morning. as long as i can find a hotel for around like 9000 yen, which doesn't seem too hard. besides, i'd rather get the train station down the day before i have to make orientation. i have more time sunday night to do learn the station/traveling procedures than i will monday morning.

and yeah i'm doing exchange at ICU. i'm from UCLA, though. not UPenn

been checking this thread for the past few months in anticipation.

lol... looks like you got your priorities a little mixed up, no?

check this site. punch in the date/number of nights you need to stay in Tokyo, and afterwards you can choose from budget hotel/hostel/etc

http://www.travellerspoint.com/budget-accommodation-en.html

does that apply to manga cafe's and any joint you pay to access the net? if so that's bulllllllllllshit, what the fuck are people without gaijin cards meant to do?

ghostdeini: hah, you could say that. i was in the middle of situating things with financial aid and waiting for my acceptance to the dorms before i made any arrangements. i definitely should've looked into it a little earlier. i assumed rooms in japan would be as easy to find as they are here in CA. still not too bad, just wondering what recommendations you guys would all have.

thanks for the link, btw.

does that apply to manga cafe's and any joint you pay to access the net? if so that's bulllllllllllshit, what the fuck are people without gaijin cards meant to do?

yeah

manga cafes = internet cafes

i'm sure there are loop holes because i've seen some sketchy billboards with "manga cafe: turn right here. no ID required."

they must be infested with homeless people + weird diseases

i always get sick after going to a manga cafe

if you nigs have gaijin registration cards, you are all set

hey herpsky, just out of my own curiosity, are you full-on Japanese? American-born? ハーフ? And furthermore, do you hold US or Japanese citizenship? I don't mean to be intrusive, but I've been wondering for a little while :o

4973% japanese

can live in the us and japan indefinitely

planning on going to tokyo at the end of year....anybody know cheap place to stay at that's close to everything? thanks

http://www.khaosan-tokyo.com/en/index.html

I've stayed at the Annex on one vacation and the Samurai on another. They were both great bang for your buck hostels. Figured I'd be out sight seeing instead of holed up in a hotel so I went with the cheapest and best rated on Hostelworld.com.

herpsky -- I got that Tokyo Transit Gohan book on your recommendation and it's fucking amazing. Can't wait to hit up a half dozen of those places over the next few weeks.

YO

that book is ace. Can't fucking trust tabelog.

It's kinda like yelp. Places with high ratings are always decent but not amazing.

Take BZs to Q in ebisu then hit up US. Their twitter is fucking funny as hell.

http://twitter.com/hotel_us_ebisu

BTW, the Glanz in Juban is fucking expensive.

You might as well take a bz to Westin or something.

New store opening.

Valveat 81. A high-end shop specializing in haute couture. Located where Leclaireur used to be.

マークスタイラーが旧「L'ECLAIREUR(レクレルール)」跡地にハイファションスタイルを提案するセレクトショップ「valveat 81(ヴァルヴィートエイティーワン)」を2010828日よりオープンする。2Fのギャラリースペースでは、期間限定でレスリー・キー氏の写真展を開催する予定。公式ウェブサイトは、同日28日に公開となり店内の様子を360度見る事ができる新コンテンツ(iPad対応可)が一番の見どころだ。

マークスタイラーは、分散化していた経営資源の集約を行うことを目的として200912月末に閉店したセレクトショップ「L'ECLAIREUR」を運営していたMS-INTERNATIONALHAN AHN SOON(ハンアンスン)を今年2月に吸収合併している。

主要取り扱いブランド

ANN DEMEULEMEESTER/HAIDER ACKERMANN/BALMAIN/MIHARAYASUHIRO

RAG & BONE/sacai luck/Thomas Wylde/Todd Lynn/CATHY PILL/Kris Van Assche

GOLDEN GOOSE/A Brand Apart/Boris Bidjan Saberi/Lost & Found/Nicolo'ceschi Berrini

08 Sircus/Faliero Sarti/MARIA RUDMAN/CATHERINE MICHIELS/NATALIA BRILLI

LINDA FARROW/AESOP/LELABO/THE O DOR/Grand Cru Caf・/font> 他

店舗詳細

valveat 81(ヴァルヴィートエイティーワン)」

107-0062 港区南青山4-21-26