japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Guest lbdas.22

What hotel are you staying at? cause if you are near roppongi there are a lot of clubs there. If you like denim definetly go to and evisu store, the jeans are expensice though. and also if you are staying in roppongi there is a sushi place with a conveyor belt and the chefs put sushi on it and you pick up what you want, and it's cheap compared to some other sushi, and good. that place is in the roppongi hat. They also just opened up a new shopping area called tokyo midtown but I think thats all stuff you can get in america.

What hotel are you staying at? cause if you are near roppongi there are a lot of clubs there. If you like denim definetly go to and evisu store, the jeans are expensice though. and also if you are staying in roppongi there is a sushi place with a conveyor belt and the chefs put sushi on it and you pick up what you want, and it's cheap compared to some other sushi, and good. that place is in the roppongi hat. They also just opened up a new shopping area called tokyo midtown but I think thats all stuff you can get in america.

This reply is teh funny.

do you even live in tokyo?

where can i cop bape?

Guest lbdas.22
This reply is teh funny.

do you even live in tokyo?

where can i cop bape?

Yeah I do live in Tokyo

and you can get bape at the bape stores in Harajuku or Aoyama.

or you can get it at resellers

tokyo midtown is more of an office/residence place than a shopping area. hell im going to be working there next year.

definitely visit Badou-R if you like 45RPM. its going to be a pain to find, but well worth it. contact me if you want a map showing the exact location. 45 website is a little sloppy.

I think this thread is the blind leading the blind. Anyways, enjoy your stay in Tokyo...

djrajio... you couldn't have described this thread any better... haha...

If I had friends come visit for only 4 days, these are the top few things I would do with them... again, most of my visitors stayed for 7+ days and it wasn't enough.

1) Tsukiji fish market - go around 5:30am and you can see the daily tuna auctions. Roam around the market stalls and just soak in the atmosphere and all the fresh seafood... by far my #1 must see/do in Tokyo. Then eat the freshest sushi in your life at one of the many joints around the market... prices are reasonable. Closed Sundays and some Weds.

2) Shop/explore Harajuku, Shibuya, Omotesando, Aoyama and Daikanyama. Use the sufu guides to locate specific stores or just roam around and discover places for yourself.

3) Eat, eat and eat.... it's nearly impossible to have a bad meal in Tokyo and everyone has their favorite ramen, yakiniku, yakitori, sushi, shabu shabu, katsu, etc. joint and most are impossible to find if you don't have someone show you where to go. The alternative is eating at the department store or mall restaurants. You'll end up paying a little bit more, but a lot of famous restaurants open up a branch at these places.

In Roppongi Hills I would recommend Pintokona kaiten sushi (mentioned earlier by someone else), Kushinobo for kushi-age (deep fried battered sticks) or either of the tonkatsu places (one next to Pintokona in Metrohat, the other 5F of west walk). For awesome cake/dessert go to Harbs. For something more upscale and great pastires go to L'atelier de Joel Robuchon.

Tokyo Midtown Tower in Roppongi opened up a few weeks ago and it's still packed with people. The shops are supposed to be more design focused and the outside garden area is pretty nice too. Midtown has a bunch of restaurants... casual dining is downstairs and they have a bunch of nicer restaurants, some even with outdoor seating, towards the back, near the Ritz-Carlton hotel. But it's almost impossible to get a reservation at any of the nicer restaurants right now.

If you want something more along the lines of a neighborhood izakaya... check out either www.bento.com or www.gnavi.co.jp/en/kanto/ for restaurant reviews and maps.

4) Nightlife... if you're gonna be in Tokyo w/your gf then you probably want to avoid Roppongi. Most of the places are meat markets, although Grace is halfway decent. It's mostly an expat/model crowd, but usually loads of fun. All mix downstairs at Feria, hip-hop upstairs at Midas and then a couple floors of lounge space. Club Vanilla was good for a Japanese club experience, but it just closed... and I think for good.

The hip-hop mecca is club Harlem in Shibuya... also good in the area Womb, Atom, Club Asia.

5) Onsen - there's a new place called Zaboo in Nishi-azabu but I heard it's only for women. For a really cheesy Japanese experience, you should check out the "onsen/spa world" in Odaiba. Odaiba is a man made island with tons of shopping malls, arcades, bowling, entertainment complexes for people to hang out. It's southeast from the center of town and about 20 mins by subway. The onsen world even has a pool where you can soak your feet and have little fish eat away your dead skin... my friends said it was a trip. Again, it's not a traditional onsen, but very Japanese nonetheless.

Hopefully this points you in the right direction... but like everyone already said it really depends on your particular tastes and energy level.

Enjoy.:D

djrajio... you couldn't have described this thread any better... haha...

If I had friends come visit for only 4 days, these are the top few things I would do with them... again, most of my visitors stayed for 7+ days and it wasn't enough.

1) Tsukiji fish market - go around 5:30am and you can see the daily tuna auctions. Roam around the market stalls and just soak in the atmosphere and all the fresh seafood... by far my #1 must see/do in Tokyo. Then eat the freshest sushi in your life at one of the many joints around the market... prices are reasonable. Closed Sundays and some Weds.

2) Shop/explore Harajuku, Shibuya, Omotesando, Aoyama and Daikanyama. Use the sufu guides to locate specific stores or just roam around and discover places for yourself.

3) Eat, eat and eat.... it's nearly impossible to have a bad meal in Tokyo and everyone has their favorite ramen, yakiniku, yakitori, sushi, shabu shabu, katsu, etc. joint and most are impossible to find if you don't have someone show you where to go. The alternative is eating at the department store or mall restaurants. You'll end up paying a little bit more, but a lot of famous restaurants open up a branch at these places.

In Roppongi Hills I would recommend Pintokona kaiten sushi (mentioned earlier by someone else), Kushinobo for kushi-age (deep fried battered sticks) or either of the tonkatsu places (one next to Pintokona in Metrohat, the other 5F of west walk). For awesome cake/dessert go to Harbs. For something more upscale and great pastires go to L'atelier de Joel Robuchon.

Tokyo Midtown Tower in Roppongi opened up a few weeks ago and it's still packed with people. The shops are supposed to be more design focused and the outside garden area is pretty nice too. Midtown has a bunch of restaurants... casual dining is downstairs and they have a bunch of nicer restaurants, some even with outdoor seating, towards the back, near the Ritz-Carlton hotel. But it's almost impossible to get a reservation at any of the nicer restaurants right now.

If you want something more along the lines of a neighborhood izakaya... check out either www.bento.com or www.gnavi.co.jp/en/kanto/ for restaurant reviews and maps.

4) Nightlife... if you're gonna be in Tokyo w/your gf then you probably want to avoid Roppongi. Most of the places are meat markets, although Grace is halfway decent. It's mostly an expat/model crowd, but usually loads of fun. All mix downstairs at Feria, hip-hop upstairs at Midas and then a couple floors of lounge space. Club Vanilla was good for a Japanese club experience, but it just closed... and I think for good.

The hip-hop mecca is club Harlem in Shibuya... also good in the area Womb, Atom, Club Asia.

5) Onsen - there's a new place called Zaboo in Nishi-azabu but I heard it's only for women. For a really cheesy Japanese experience, you should check out the "onsen/spa world" in Odaiba. Odaiba is a man made island with tons of shopping malls, arcades, bowling, entertainment complexes for people to hang out. It's southeast from the center of town and about 20 mins by subway. The onsen world even has a pool where you can soak your feet and have little fish eat away your dead skin... my friends said it was a trip. Again, it's not a traditional onsen, but very Japanese nonetheless.

Hopefully this points you in the right direction... but like everyone already said it really depends on your particular tastes and energy level.

Enjoy.:D

Wow!!! thanks so much for the help. it was really informative!

Couldn't resist putting up pics. 'Twas a fun trip.

P9100087.jpg

Omotesando Hills

P1010830.jpg

Prada in Aoyama

P1010025.jpg

The madness that is Akihabara

P1010810.jpg

The calm waters of Senso-ji shrine

P1020082.jpg

Must-visit store at Roppongi Hills

P1010013.jpg

Up in the wee hours for sashimi brekkie (USD12 for mixed platter of raw fish, edamame. pickles, large bowl miso, rice and refillable ocha...)

i like zucca in aoyama.

a must visit: ann demeulemeester in omotesando hills

retardedly expensive black and white clothes. insanely nice service.

i'd expect super-pretentious employees but they are as nice as SAs can ever get

a must visit: ann demeulemeester in omotesando hills

retardedly expensive black and white clothes. insanely nice service.

i'd expect super-pretentious employees but they are as nice as SAs can ever get

It's not worth it IMO. First of all, they insist on having the door half open. Thus, the first time I went I thought they were closed. Next, the selection for men is shit. And third, its Ann D. selling at Japan prices. So everything is 15%-30% more expensive. Again, not worth it.

Must-visit store at Roppongi Hills

de Zucca is OK. I definitely think Hysteric Glamour did an awesome job with the interior design (thank you Wonderwall) and Estnation, only because they seem to cater to every and anybody. Midtown is going to have Restir soon which will be dope. And the concept Muji is not bad. The stores to beat though is Time & Style on the fourth floor and Hlam on the third.

omotesando hills seems pretty worthless (in terms of shopping

2000db said there's is a "sock" store but i didnt check it out

i forgot the name of the store that's on the street right behind O. hills

it was pretty cool

now i remember...

it's addition adelaide

they had some very interesting labels

i haven't been to the original adelaide though

h_032_01.jpg

i've gone to the ramen museum quite a few times

the only problem is that it's in shinyokohama and may be a little out of the way for some tourists.

i recommend that you take an express (or super-express) train from shibuya to yokohama (toyoko line)

another tip: if you are gonna use the metro / tokyu-sen / JR a lot

id suggest that you get a PASMO or SUICA card.

it's a prepaid metro / train card that can be used on all public transportations

in tokyo. don't be a bitch and wait in line to buy train tix.