japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heading back to japan to visit the in-laws late april/ early may. Just moved into a new condo in the states and looking for new housewares. any recs on places to check out for ceramics, general home goods, books, design etc? I know of the big places like tsite and isetan, any others?

That's great zekay. Hoek and Graphpaper looks promising, thanks for the recs

Last time I was in Daikanyama I remember finding a homegoods store when wandering around near the APC store, can't remember the name, maybe it's the same one you're thinking of...

EDIT: Was it this place? Tenoha http://tenoha.jp/

Edited by Xal

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2017 at 1:52 PM, Xal said:

Heading back to japan to visit the in-laws late april/ early may. Just moved into a new condo in the states and looking for new housewares. any recs on places to check out for ceramics, general home goods, books, design etc? I know of the big places like tsite and isetan, any others?

i remember crossing this general store in koenji:

http://cotogoto.jp/

seemed to have a good selection of stuff -- hippopotamus towels for example.

depends on the price range you are looking for. cassina, bal, hhstyle, acme. also, depends on the style. 

most OG furniture stores are located on Meguro-dori between Meguro Sta and Gakugei-daigaku.

• 3 weeks later...

Coming back to Japan for a solo trip next month. I'll be in Tokyo April 14-18. Staying in south Shibuya/north Daikanyama. Give me some good stuff to eat (especially stuff I can't get in New York) and bars I can go to by myself where people might be nice to my gaijin ass.

What onsen should I go to in Hakone if I don't want to stay overnight? Or is that a waste.

It's my third time in Tokyo, so I've done a lot of the touristy stuff, but any noteworthy stuff going on I should check out?

Also, give me Kanazawa thoughts if you have them. And Osaka. And maybe Okayama (going to Naoshima and staying overnight). And wherever else I might go around central Japan with a JR pass having already spent some time in Kyoto and Nara.

And if anyone is around and wants to hang out and grab some food/drinks, let me know. 

12 hours ago, youkinorn2 said:

Coming back to Japan for a solo trip next month. I'll be in Tokyo April 14-18. Staying in south Shibuya/north Daikanyama. Give me some good stuff to eat (especially stuff I can't get in New York) and bars I can go to by myself where people might be nice to my gaijin ass.

What onsen should I go to in Hakone if I don't want to stay overnight? Or is that a waste.

It's my third time in Tokyo, so I've done a lot of the touristy stuff, but any noteworthy stuff going on I should check out?

Also, give me Kanazawa thoughts if you have them. And Osaka. And maybe Okayama (going to Naoshima and staying overnight). And wherever else I might go around central Japan with a JR pass having already spent some time in Kyoto and Nara.

And if anyone is around and wants to hang out and grab some food/drinks, let me know. 

There is one small brewery in Nakano really worth checking out. Don't know what the name is but you find it here ( https://goo.gl/maps/jGUiU55QY3U2 ). It's a nice atmosphere.

Another Bar I really enjoyed is Crimjon ( https://www.facebook.com/BarCrimjon/ ). Small basement bar with plenty of vinyl and cds in the back. The guy that runs that bar (Shigeyuki) is really nice, you can sit there for hours listen to old music and have some nice chats with some local guys. 

Than there would be the usual places around Shibuya such as Tight or or Golden Balls. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2017 at 0:44 PM, youkinorn2 said:

In Tokyo, if you like udon I was obsessed with Oniyanma...went to the one off the Gotanda station but I hear there's one near Shimbashi as well. 4 - 500 JPY for a bowl. Of all the things I ate in JP I think I enjoyed this the most, and it certainly had the best value.

Onsen in Hakone, not sure. I stayed overnight at a ryokan to get my onsen fix. Perhaps go to Spa World in Osaka for a non-overnight onsen--never been but I hear it's fantastic.

Edited by piece keeper

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

recently hit up some new cafe's and lunch spots

in shimokitazawa. Light up coffee was great, pretty new, I think it opened just a few weeks ago, manager is like japan aeropress 2016 champion or something. anyways, worth going out of the way for. Hit up Glaubelle coffee and Hi monsieur in the area as well. Light up is one of my new favorites though. Try their coffee and tonic on a hot day, super refreshing.

back in omotesando, where omotesando koffee used to be, the owner opened up the new koffee mameya. specializes more in beans and roasts now. really nice little spot and flows a lot better. the pour over i had of one of their light roasts, cant remember which one, was insanely delicious.

also tried out "deli fu cious" in nakameguro and their fish burger. amazing stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2017 at 8:47 AM, Xal said:

recently hit up some new cafe's and lunch spots

in shimokitazawa. Light up coffee was great, pretty new, I think it opened just a few weeks ago, manager is like japan aeropress 2016 champion or something. anyways, worth going out of the way for. Hit up Glaubelle coffee and Hi monsieur in the area as well. Light up is one of my new favorites though. Try their coffee and tonic on a hot day, super refreshing.

back in omotesando, where omotesando koffee used to be, the owner opened up the new koffee mameya. specializes more in beans and roasts now. really nice little spot and flows a lot better. the pour over i had of one of their light roasts, cant remember which one, was insanely delicious.

also tried out "deli fu cious" in nakameguro and their fish burger. amazing stuff.

I will try Light up coffee and deli fu cious for sure! 

I really like Hi Monsieur, such a cute store/coffee place. If you around Setagaya I also enjoyed On the way cupcakes.

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, suprastar said:

Need some up to date advice from the Tokyotes 

best coffee joints?

must eat food joints? best burger in tokyo?

what's the best chance to cop sneakers? specifically looking for the flyknit trainer in white, and tom sachs mars yard 2.0..

Coffee:

Omotesando Koffee (he closed, moved to Hong Kong a year ago, then after 10 months closed and moved back to Tokyo in the original space but a new concept)

Camelback Sandwich & Coffee

Good People & Good Coffee

Nem Coffee & Espresso (don't miss this one, a little hard to find, but worth it.  Coffee is amazing and the vibe is top notch)

Bakeries:

-Aigre Douce, chef Norihiko Terai, Relais Dessert

-Hidemi Sugino, Relais dessert as well

-A tes souhaits, not in Tokyo like one hour by train but it worth it, Relais dessert too

-Basement flour of Isetan shinjuku and ginza many nice corner of pastries and savoury, daily food at a high end level as well

-In the area of ginza you have a lot like Wako (chocolate bonbon), chocolat de H (bonbon as well), Marcolini (bonbon too), henri charpentier (travel cake)

-Ecole Criollo by Antoine Santos, 4 locations

-Pommier by Frederic Madeleine

-Echiré butter shop.... look the price and people waiting to buy butter and really buttery cakes

-Boulangerie Viron, you have in shibuya and marunouchi, nice brasserie too

-Dessert bar "Le cinq" in the new Tokyu building in Ginza

-Ikkoan, traditional japanese cake

-Kayser even if u have in USA, may be a bit nicer in Japan

-Manneken, a chain for belgian waffle, little corner in ginza and in shinjuku

-Matériel by chef Hayashi

-Sadaharu Aoki

-Decadence du Chocolat

-Jean Paul Hevin

-Pierre Hermé

-Sebastien Bouillet

12 hours ago, kiya said:

Nice, Thanks for that. Looking forward to checking out the coffee.
I live in Hong Kong, Omotesando Koffee is still operating, but didn't know the owner went back to Japan. 

Too bad I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I'm a sucker for a good Almond Croissant. If I had time to only check out one place to find it, which bakery would I head to?

10 hours ago, suprastar said:

Nice, Thanks for that. Looking forward to checking out the coffee.
I live in Hong Kong, Omotesando Koffee is still operating, but didn't know the owner went back to Japan. 

Too bad I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I'm a sucker for a good Almond Croissant. If I had time to only check out one place to find it, which bakery would I head to?

Gontran Cherrier or Tolo Pan.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This thread is dead as shit.

Kichiyoji Station is a cool spot I will visit again. Really cool select shops on a another level. Like vintage swedish tableware and whatnot.

Went to ginza6 and it's mental. Some really good things there but bad stuff too. The roof top garden is pretty cool. Saw chinese speaking staff at the food court there hehe

Edited by martin_henk