japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

sorry for my ignorance but people actually buy issey miyake? i was under the impression that the brand only sells turtleneck sweaters and baobao bags

I don't, and like most of these jp fashion brands, they sell rly basic stuff to the masses/chinese guys. Their mens isnt as hyped and it's their private sale, so they would be having runway stuff and more interesting pieces

For osaka, the best store i've been to is cathedral near umeda.  But they have a store in ginza 

i don't really know what the appeal of visiting osaka is.

granted i've only been there for a brief period of time, it's a shitty place for sightseeing

1) I don't really know of any stores that are better than their counterparts in Tokyo. Sure, there are some stores that do stand out like Silver+Gold, and Loftman

2) Extreme shortage of hotels. There are very few convenient accomodations central to where you want to hang out.

3) clubs and bars close early

4) food and drinks in general are less expensive out there. also, there are some exotic "konamono" (it's an umbrella term for anything made with flour e.g. okonomiyaki) that are otherwise hard to find outside of osaka. other than that, there's not much else.

idk, there's something neat/weird about osaka. it's hard to recommend if you're in Japan for a short trip, but my girlfriend and i really enjoyed the city as a detour on a longer stay in tokyo. shinsekai is cool. 

edit: we're heading back to tokyo for two weeks in november, and i'm looking for stuff to see/do that we wouldn't have already thought of. We had three months to explore last time, but I'm sure there are still some worthwhile neighborhoods we haven't seen yet. 

Edited by jstavrin

idk, there's something neat/weird about osaka. it's hard to recommend if you're in Japan for a short trip, but my girlfriend and i really enjoyed the city as a detour on a longer stay in tokyo. shinsekai is cool. 

i agree. i def won't recommend osaka for short visits and touristy things because it seriously lacks. i def recommend for all the things tokyo are not in the less shiny neighborhoods like shinsekai, ktown, nishinari, etc. lots of vibrant cultures in these underserved districts. 

want to go to japan in feb 2017

2 weeks airbnb or hotel in tokyo? is it feasible to just do a day trip to osaka and come back to tokyo?

depends on your budget. day trip to osaka from tokyo is technically possible, but it'd suck ass.

Edited by conqueror

sorry for my ignorance but people actually buy issey miyake? i was under the impression that the brand only sells turtleneck sweaters and baobao bags

People love the vintage pleat stuff.

Nah seconded you don't want to do a day trip to Osaka. You'd spend most of your time on the  shinkasen. 

The wild alternative is using one of those night buses. Basically, you load up late at night from one of the bigger stations like Tokyo Sta., you wake up and you are already in Osaka. 

Advantages

1) saving $ - hotel and shinkansen tix

2) you basically have the whole day to explore

Disadvantages

1) Nightbuses may be hard to figure out — it kind of caters to the young and broke 

2) You arrive hella early — unlike the US, most things don't open until 10AM at the earliest

If you are looking for that underground / less developed feel, the east side of Tokyo still has a lot of interesting spots. By no means, I consider myself an expert of the east side, but these are some areas that I can think of (that hasn't been crushed by mainlanders and wypipo)

1) Asakusa Kannonura - It's the area behind the Sensouji temple. Hotspot for classic Japanese food.

2) Keisei Tateishi - This is the mecca of daydrinking. Lots of small bars. 

3) Asakusa Chikagai - It's this HK-like dungeon with bars and restaurants. 

4) JR Nippori to Sendagi "Yanesen" - Lots of small shops and food stands; some weird spots – skate shops, decent craft beer bars that haven't been destroyed

5) Ginza Corridor-gai - This is...interesting. This used to be the #1 pick-up spots for "domestic" Japanese salary men. A lot of girls who are looking for guys who work in Marunouchi (Think Heartland <--> Hills connection in the early 2000's) used to hang out. This place blew up bc media commondified the area as Tokyo's #1 nanpa spot. 

Some notable spots

1) Ebisu yokocho - I took some sufu OGs here before. Interesting as in there are lots of S-class girls that you've always wondered where they hang out. 

2) Musashikoyama - Resembles Tateishi but in the middle of Tokyo. Because of the recent "Toshikaihatsu", the whole area is getting redone. Now is the time to go. 

3) Nakano - I have 0 knowledge to contribute. Apparently, there's a lot of spots with high-cost to performance ratio and still retain that local, old-school feel. 

I think Osaka may be cool if you want to spend one day between your xfer from Tokyo to Kyoto, or vice-versa. 

I subscribe to this Tokyo cool spot mailing list (it's not free). I'll start reposting their restaurant guides.  

Kyushu food in Azabu Juban

麻布 ã‚ã¿åŸŽ

http://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1307/A130702/13193516/

Edited by herpsky

want to go to japan in feb 2017

2 weeks airbnb or hotel in tokyo? is it feasible to just do a day trip to osaka and come back to tokyo?

I'd say airbnb if you can. Hotels are cool but you might get tired of it. 

I really don't know much about the airbnb scene in Tokyo. It sounds like the affordable ones are in really shitty places. 

Nowadays, foreigners just buy up the fancy properties for the sole purpose of doing airbnb so I feel like the pricing might be out of control. There used to be a bunch of properties you could stay for 6500 to 8500 yen in the most central parts of Tokyo but this was like 4 or 5 years ago. 

Does anyone have ideas on the spots on Chuosen e.g. asagaya. 

That's like one part of Tokyo I know nothing about.

Tokyo "weird" spot guide

http://www.another-tokyo.com

Silly

silly.amebahypes.com 

Silly has guides on the latest, weirdest, coolest spots that haven't been blown up by anyone

I think I learned about WALTZ (analog music, walkman, and vintage magazine store) and Ohka the Best Days (street-inspired, craft beer gyoza restaurant) on Silly.

Edited by herpsky

Another tip:

You don't have to have the japan rail pass to have unlimited rides. 

I think there are several useful options 

1) JR unlimited - 750 yen a day

2) Tokyu unlimited - 660 

3) Tokyo metro unlimited - 600 yen a day

4) Tokyo metro / Toei Chikatetsu combined unlimited - 1000 yen

5) Tokyo metro / Toei / JR combined unlimited incl. buses - 1590 yen

6) Triangle ticket - This is probably the #1; Unlimited between futakotamagawa, Jiyugaoka, and shibuya. All the shopping hotspots are covered by this one ticket alone. 

4) JR Nippori to Sendagi "Yanesen" - Lots of small shops and food stands; some weird spots – skate shops, decent craft beer bars that haven't been destroyed

what are the skate shops you speak of? would like to check em out. 

ya'll need to take note on herp's suggestions. always spot on

I'd say airbnb if you can. Hotels are cool but you might get tired of it. 

I really don't know much about the airbnb scene in Tokyo. It sounds like the affordable ones are in really shitty places. 

Nowadays, foreigners just buy up the fancy properties for the sole purpose of doing airbnb so I feel like the pricing might be out of control. There used to be a bunch of properties you could stay for 6500 to 8500 yen in the most central parts of Tokyo but this was like 4 or 5 years ago. 

Yeah most of the airbnb stuff was pretty expensive.. some decent looking places that ran $600ish for 2 weeks but maybe thats in a really shitty part of tokyo? What are the "really shitty" parts of tokyo even like? Might just go for an airfare + hotel package.

I've found a few neat brands out of japan through instagram- a lot of them have been skate related! Hoping to check these out when I get there, as none of them ship out to the states.

there's no shitty part, per se. adachi-ku (ward) — I'd consider lower class but there's no clear rich-and-poor zoning that's seen everywhere in the US. 

i knew some people were staying in Itabashi and etc. It's fine. It's kind of far out. That's all. 

I'm going to hike to the top of Mt Fuji - probably on the 19th (Friday) with a stay in one of the huts to watch the sunrise on the morning of the 20th (Saturday). Will likely take the Yoshida (yellow) trail - any recommendations/tips? 

i spent a while in osaka and its def not as cool as tokyo. it has some cool spots but not worth spending more than 2 days there. shopping and night life are way better in tokyo. but its about 45 min away from kyoto so its worth checking out if you are in the area

Anyone going to labyrinth festival this year?

Im heading out for a week in tokyo + labyrinth. Staying in cerulean tower. Any good neighborhood spots to check out near cerulean?

Going for a inspo trip, so any pro tips on food, shopping, art, weird shit only in tokyo, bars, ect... would be most welcome.

Would i be able to find a porter tanker waist bag fairly easily in town for less than on amazon for 220$?

Edited by EG562

Anyone going to labyrinth festival this year?

Im heading out for a week in tokyo + labyrinth. Staying in cerulean tower. Any good neighborhood spots to check out near cerulean?

Going for a inspo trip, so any pro tips on food, shopping, art, weird shit only in tokyo, bars, ect... would be most welcome.

Would i be able to find a porter tanker waist bag fairly easily in town for less than on amazon for 220$?

A regular tanker is like 125USD if purchased in Japan. HP one is a different story. That amazon link looks sketchy af. That's probably some mainland fake. 

Way too many spots to name. As usual, specific questions are welcome. 

Unlike most US cities including Portland, there are way too many "must-hit" places to name.

Also, it depends on whether you have been to Japan and want a general overview of the city or a super niche underground / strictly-for-locals type places. 

Some specific questions that will be helpful

1) Food - westernized Japanese, hypebeast restaurants, traditional japanese — what are you interested in? Anything "good" is not a real answer. Also, what's your budget? 

Like, if you said you want really good food, I'm just gonna recommend spots like Narisawa

2) Drinks - wanna have mexican beer and chill with skaters? artisanal cocktails? exclusive microbrews? you want to impress girls? get hammered with a bunch of old dudes for <10 USD? 

3) Stores - what type of style are you into? Selfedge denim daddy? Tech ninja? Mainland richboi? Surf luxe? Luxe athletic? Goth ninja? 

4) Records and music - what music are you into? you want records or cds? 

5) clubs - chill or floor bangers? view of the city or no windows? 

6) misc shopping - anything you are looking to pick up? DJ equipment? wanna try out that $3,000 earbuds that you've only seen on the internet? you want a lifesize rilakkuma doll? you want the best cake you're ever gonna have in your life? 

You name it, we have it. The US is like, you name it, it's on the internet.

Edited by herpsky

Review on luxe blank white tees:

■ファッションギークã¸ã®é“ 白Tç·¨ 

・vol.1 Hanes Red Tag
・vol.2 FRUIT OF THE LOOM
・vol.3 UNIQLO
・vol.4 RED KAP
・vol.5 PRADA
・vol.6 anvil
・vol.7 ç„¡å°è‰¯å“
・vol.8 Hanes Blue Tag
・vol.9 SUNSPEL
・vol.10 Champion
・vol.11 Supreme × Hanes
・vol.12 FilMelange
・vol.13 Healthknit
・vol.14 JIL SANDER
・vol.15 Hanes BEEFY
・vol.16 ANATOMICA
・vol.17 GILDAN
・vol.18 COMME des GARÇONS SHIRT
・vol.19 ACNE STUDIOS
・vol.20 HEAVY WEIGHT COLLECTIONS
・vol.21 United Athle
・vol.22 Hanes Gold Tag
・vol.23 VALENTINO
・vol.24 Carhartt
・vol.25 COTTON STAFF

Vol 26. VISVIM

A regular tanker is like 125USD if purchased in Japan. HP one is a different story. That amazon link looks sketchy af. That's probably some mainland fake. 

Way too many spots to name. As usual, specific questions are welcome. 

Unlike most US cities including Portland, there are way too many "must-hit" places to name.

Also, it depends on whether you have been to Japan and want a general overview of the city or a super niche underground / strictly-for-locals type places. 

Some specific questions that will be helpful

1) Food - westernized Japanese, hypebeast restaurants, traditional japanese — what are you interested in? Anything "good" is not a real answer. Also, what's your budget? 

Like, if you said you want really good food, I'm just gonna recommend spots like Narisawa

2) Drinks - wanna have mexican beer and chill with skaters? artisanal cocktails? exclusive microbrews? you want to impress girls? get hammered with a bunch of old dudes for <10 USD? 

3) Stores - what type of style are you into? Selfedge denim daddy? Tech ninja? Mainland richboi? Surf luxe? Luxe athletic? Goth ninja? 

4) Records and music - what music are you into? you want records or cds? 

5) clubs - chill or floor bangers? view of the city or no windows? 

6) misc shopping - anything you are looking to pick up? DJ equipment? wanna try out that $3,000 earbuds that you've only seen on the internet? you want a lifesize rilakkuma doll? you want the best cake you're ever gonna have in your life? 

You name it, we have it. The US is like, you name it, it's on the internet.

I can always count on herp! Its been 8 years since Ive been, so I assume things are different now.

Ill be in tokyo for 8 days, 3 on my own, then 5 with work. then three out at labyrinth festival.

1) Food- On my own, i want to go deep and taste all the delights. Id like to find some great ramen, yakitori zones, street food markets, some of that budget food for when im on my own, maybe a baller tasting menu at a highly rated spot. Cult favorites and food nerd friendly.

A good omakase sushi for a solo dinner, nothing insanley baller, just good traditional sushi. I did tskuji once in the past, not sure if I need to repeat. Mostly up for izakaya style eating+drinking. Is there a particular area near shibuya that has a high concentration of izakaya/yakitori?

Id like to plan out some work dinners and get reservations at a couple hype beast friendly restaurants for a group of 6. Coffee, good beer, and cocktail bars too. More of a cool kid/skate crowd.

2) Drinks- Im down for good beer. Coming from portland, so I dont need the latest hoppy ipa spot, but some cool artisan small brewery recommendations. Cocktail spots with good music/ dj a plus. Doesnt need to be fancy. streetwear/coolkid friendly crowd. The weirder the bar the better, anything in golden gai?

3) retail - tech ninja, rick vibe, strange sportswear, healthgoth, cav empt type streetwear. I assume I wont be able to find western L-XL size anywhere?

4) records- vinyl would be good. Underground Techno + house. Labels - Trilogy tapes, hinge finger, planet mu, lobster thermin, ostgot ton, LIES, ect...

5) Mellow clubs, no EDM bangers. Underground House/techno friendly, music head crowd + cheap.

Maybe one place thats more night slugs type music. last time, I went to some fun after hours on the 12 floor of a random office building playing dub techno till 12pm. That type of thing interests. I think unit might be a good reference spot. 

6) id like to find some good backpack,waistbags, art books + supply, donuts, weird snacks... Im more up for gaining experience points, art and design museums+exhibitions, shrines, cooking classes, swap meet/markets that sort of thing. 

Any Onsen recommendations? Something a confused westerner can manage? I took a train out of town to a onsen near a gonpachi, and had an amazing time. This type of thing appeals. 

If your in town 9/17-24 and want to catch a drink, its on me.

Edited by EG562

beer in japan sucks compared to america and decent craft beer is a lot more expensive than usa. craft heads is a decent craft beer bar in shibuya. there are some micro brew bars i went to but cant remember the name. beer wasnt worth the price.

There's a few craft bars that specialize in domestics. They are always interesting. It's more for the experience, I would say. 

I liked beer pub ishii. It seems like most of the well known ones are on the eastern side of the city. 

http://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1311/A131105/13155609/

Generally speaking, half a pint of a domestic microbrew is like 600; full pint is like 1000. Places like craftheads will charge more bc they are all imported from overseas. Then again, American prices are approaching there. 

The beer pricing in PDX is out of control cheap. That doesn't really help you I guess.

Edited by herpsky

I was just thinking about food with good cost:performance ratio. 

I think Oreno series (do not recommend going alone – must split) e.g. oreno spanish and oreno French, are really good. 

Ramen is always good but I just feel like people shouldn't waste their precious time /  meal. Like someone said above, you should reserve it as a late night snack. The ramen street in Tokyo station has a curated selection of ramen spots that have kind of stood the test of time. I always enjoy going to classic places like Afuri i.e. not necessarily hyped with long lines. 

Yeah, I think places like Hototogisu are good but probably not worth your time. Some of the best ramen I've had were from rotating popups at the Ramen Museum in Yokohama. I've had a few from Kumamoto and western regions that were out-of-this-world good. 

Some places in Japan get skewed publicity / popularity from instagram and blogs. It's usually hyped by the same people — "opinionated" Asian women from the west coast who have conquored all of the oh-so-famous restaurants with their hubbies.

Blacows, Tsukiji, Jiro, and so on. 

If you want realy fancy afternoon tea that doesn't break the bank, the one at Aman Hotel is good. 

Japanese food is good. No question about it. Japanese absolutely excel at their interpretation of foreign cuisine e.g. French, Chinese, and etc. 

Citrus is one of my favorite izakayas. No KAGs. No OLs. No salary men. Good food. Affordable. Food served on Tadao Yokoo plates. Only 10 reviews on Tabelog? Why? B/c noone knows about it.

Edited by herpsky

Yoyogi and Tomigaya are where it's at. The stretch of road that extends from Shibuya to the area by Fuglen is probably THE place to be right now.