japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

What are the most interesting japanese fashion magazines these days? Most of the ones I used to pick up 5-10 years ago aren't what they used to be.

what did you use to like?

What are the most interesting japanese fashion magazines these days? Most of the ones I used to pick up 5-10 years ago aren't what they used to be.

GO OUT is pretty cool if you like outdoor stuff. 

Edited by mr.invincible

I subscribe to Popeye and Brutus. I get GO OUT and &premium sometimes. The Day is interesting if you are into normcore.

Huge is out of print. Fudge is good. Rudo and Grind are probably more niche.

Can anyone help me out with sushi recommendations?

I'm okay with spending up to 20.000Yen. I'm not staying at a hotel so I can't get anyone there to help me book for me. So something easily attainable would be nice.

I'll take suggestion in all price ranges! Cheep stuff too.

Note that legislation just changed and you'll need to stay at 7 days or more in an AirBnB for it to be legal.

really? i just booked 4/25 to 4/30. when is this legislation going to be enforced?

i think all airbnb in tokyo are considered illegal except for those in Ota-ward. 

Even the properties in Ota-ward aren't exactly free-for-all. there are strict rules a property must adhere to. 

i forgot the exact rules. the gas supply for an airbnb property must be independent of the main feeder line for an apartment complex? 

it's nearly impossible for someone to run one off of an existing apartment complex, unless you own it.

it's not like the visitors will be penalized. it's the airbnb hosts who are at risk for eviction and etc. 

i'm curious about the mainland-owned rooms in those new highrises that have been purchased for the sole reason of renting out on airbnb/homeaway. 

there's also been a recent article in one of the newspapers about the increasing number of complaints filed for airbnb visitors. you know, the oh-so-typical gaijins having crazy parties. 

it sounds like some people who just have nothing better to do, try to pinpoint airbnb properties based on images and report to the apartment management companies. 

i'm all for the "shared economy" but i suppose hosts should be more selective as to who to host and etc. 

i have good ratings that i can do instabook on a lot of properties.

Edited by herpsky

really? i just booked 4/25 to 4/30. when is this legislation going to be enforced?

think of it like this. airbnb is still illegal in NYC as well, but they allow it. like NYC, Japan values the mad tourism money airbnb is enabling but it also freaks them out that there are tons of white people coming to hang out. This new law is their way of drawing a line in the sand that allows them to tacitly be okay with airbnb while still claiming they don't like it.

this legislation is in full effect now, but you'll probably be fine. like herpsky said the onus is on the hosts. if the hosts were fine with using airbnb in its quasi-legal state before, they'll likely still be fine with it now. and you booked your trip already so they aren't going to cancel it, but you might have more difficulty finding a <1 week stay in the future

Kind of a bummer -- I really liked AirBnB in tko for certain parts of the city where there really weren't good hotel options.

Anyone got any gallery recs particularly in the architectural / photography space? Looking to broaden my tko horizons from coffee/food/jawnz. 

Hara Museum is beautiful. Watarium. Shashin (photo) museum in ebisu. 

Ohta museum (it's like behind muji / shima and harajuku) if you are into ye olde japanese ukiyoe art. 

Teien bijyutsukan. Though not a museum, shinjuku gyoen is also pretty cool. 

The museums in Ueno. I haven't been in a long time but i remember they are pretty decent. 

1) Kanda - bookshops, outdoor shops, curry
2) Akihabara - yodobashi; 

3) Ueno - museums, mita sneakers

4) Nippori - Nezu and sendagi shops, there's a craft beer bar that I like, shaved ice at himitsudo if it's a weekday

These areas are all connected (they look far apart on a map but they aren't) so I'd walk. 

As far as cool popup art shows, i don't really know of a central place. Maybe timeout is one (I don't really read it bc I mostly read Japanese sites). I usually check the cool-guy japanese fashion news sites for gallery openings and etc e.g. houynhm

Edited by herpsky

i think all airbnb in tokyo are considered illegal except for those in Ota-ward. 

Even the properties in Ota-ward aren't exactly free-for-all. there are strict rules a property must adhere to. 

i forgot the exact rules. the gas supply for an airbnb property must be independent of the main feeder line for an apartment complex? 

it's nearly impossible for someone to run one off of an existing apartment complex, unless you own it.

it's not like the visitors will be penalized. it's the airbnb hosts who are at risk for eviction and etc. 

i'm curious about the mainland-owned rooms in those new highrises that have been purchased for the sole reason of renting out on airbnb/homeaway. 

there's also been a recent article in one of the newspapers about the increasing number of complaints filed for airbnb visitors. you know, the oh-so-typical gaijins having crazy parties. 

it sounds like some people who just have nothing better to do, try to pinpoint airbnb properties based on images and report to the apartment management companies. 

i'm all for the "shared economy" but i suppose hosts should be more selective as to who to host and etc. 

i have good ratings that i can do instabook on a lot of properties.

I mean anecdotally I hear some pretty disappointing stories from visitors of AirBnB in Tokyo. One friend received a warning from her landlord because she accepted a group of guests, who ignored the rule sheet, left their bags and snowboarding gear with the building manager for 6 hours before coming back. I can see why complaints may come up. She decided not to do it again. It's not a party thing, or understanding of cultural norms, its just people being jerks.

Edited by beatplusmelody

man what kind of industry do you guys work in to work in japan for a month?

jelly

I work in sales

anyone can go to Japan for a month as long as they figure out how to obviate their rent. this is something i'm trying to figure out how to make sustainable on a long term basis

yep. or work for someone who pay for everything

Back in 2010 I saved up a bunch of money and stayed in Tokyo and traveled a bit for 3 months! Came back to Norway, missed Tokyo and bought a new ticket and stayed in Japan for a month.