japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

apparently roppongi hills is redoing their men's fashion area 

new stores include: undercover, soph, facetasm, n. hollywood, factotum, attachment, wjk, minotaur

good idea? i don't know

i think these are all free-standing shops

If they are free-standing shops then harajuku fashion really has fallen off.

I can't see any of these brands fitting in with the hills-zoku cliente.

N. Hollywood, WJK, and Soph maybe...

Think its a horrible idea.

Now you can buy "rebellious" Undercover while waiting for your cafe latte to get made at the Starbucks next door.

What a joke. 

apparently roppongi hills is redoing their men's fashion area

new stores include: undercover, soph, facetasm, n. hollywood, factotum, attachment, wjk, minotaur

good idea? i don't know

i think these are all free-standing shops

I don't think its a good idea. Unless they are trying to jack up their prices by opening up flagship store there. Or maybe international brands like prada, Gucci, Armani etc can't afford rents in roppongi no more?

If they are free-standing shops then harajuku fashion really has fallen off.

I can't see any of these brands fitting in with the hills-zoku cliente.

N. Hollywood, WJK, and Soph maybe...

Think its a horrible idea.

Now you can buy "rebellious" Undercover while waiting for your cafe latte to get made at the Starbucks next door.

What a joke.

Starbucks coffee is crap, though I do enjoy looking at the can2, jj female crowds that goes to the roppongi hills Starbucks.

What is the usual schedule for holiday closing for stores in Tokyo for New Years?

closed on the first usually. open from the 2nd or 3rd.

you will have to fight the hatsuuri crowd. the afternoon of

12/31 is a good time bc the markdown for New Years would already have been done but untouched by the Japanese or mainland tourists. some of the smaller places like Midwest does this for you

cp is pretty hard to find. it's not part of the normcore cool guy starter pack in Tokyo.

ua is an authorized retailer. seven daikanyama has more exotic models like derbies

closed on the first usually. open from the 2nd or 3rd.

you will have to fight the hatsuuri crowd. the afternoon of

12/31 is a good time bc the markdown for New Years would already have been done but untouched by the Japanese or mainland tourists. some of the smaller places like Midwest does this for you

cp is pretty hard to find. it's not part of the normcore cool guy starter pack in Tokyo.

ua is an authorized retailer. seven daikanyama has more exotic models like derbies

What's the starter pack consist of, I'm really curious lol

what is in shinjuku besides Isetan? americana will always be popular. it's been popular since the early 90s (or even the late 70s if you consider the "take ivy" influences). 

the prescribed looks ala tech kimoi ninja and undercover everything don't really exist outside of the internet

as always two banging entries from eyescream:

http://eyescream.jp/tyo/feature/uniqlo-outer-2015aw/

http://eyescream.jp/tyo/feature/kidaore-2015aw

most of their articles are kinda whatever but their "what i bought" interviews are always hilarious and always list really good items

i'm surprised by the steeziness of the uniqlo seamless downs

as always two banging entries from eyescream:

http://eyescream.jp/tyo/feature/uniqlo-outer-2015aw/

http://eyescream.jp/tyo/feature/kidaore-2015aw

most of their articles are kinda whatever but their "what i bought" interviews are always hilarious and always list really good items

i'm surprised by the steeziness of the uniqlo seamless downs

is there anything similar for females?

Dunno where else to post it:

For those of us in the US, this site has an insane selection of books for pretty much < than the retail at Kinokuniya and etc.

Free shipping too. Tax free for out of staters. 

http://www.nihonbooks.com

I'm in no way affiliated. I just bought Popeye, Go OUT and some other normcore fashion magazines. 

A copy of popeye is like 9 bucks. 

Please buy your fashion books from here so we can keep legit businesses like this alive. 

i'm lazy as shit and cbf going thru this thread. what areas should i look to stay in tokyo. i've only ever stayed in shinjuku and shibuya but this time i'm going solo so i've got more freedom to choose

Edited by david10d

the answer is always: depends on what you want to accomplish. 

we had some og sufuers visiting a while back. he stayed in an itabashi airbnb. 

i wouldn't probably recommend that. also, the question of where to stay hinges on how late you want to stay out on a weekday i.e. past 12-1AM. 

i personally would stay in ebisu just because it's within walking distance to daikanyama/nakameguro for shopping and food, one-meter cab ride away from nishi azabu, ready access to the metro if i want to venture out to the east side, a hub station for toyoko-line means i can take a train straight to yoyogi, ikebukuro (dunno why anyone would want to go), and some of the local in-the-know hotspots like yutenji, hibiya-line to go to yurakucho/ginza for DSM/Hankyu – also goes straight to the super touristy spots like Asakusa. I've walked to shibuya station, and it takes about 15-20 minutes at most. 

another wild alternative is mishuku/sangenjyaa. it's semi-inconvenient but close to shibuya. there's a lot of new interesting shops and restaurants between komazawa daigaku and shibuya along 246 (or in the close vicinity). most of the shops are open insanely late. most of Tokyo's young, creative (perhaps broke) types live in the ikejiri/sancha/mishuku area. that area is a party central if you know where to go. that bar drag in front of the sancha station is always a party central and very welcoming for foreign visitors. i think a lot of people who live in that area are hyper liberal and always want to hang out with "cool foreigners". 

Edited by herpsky

also, the oh-so-ever important question is do you want to meet japanese girls?

there's a few things that could complicate things

1) do you speak english

2) how old are you? e.g. shibuya is late teens and early 20s

3) are you a non-japanese asian 

we know of a lot of pick up spots but it really depends on your demographic 

thanks, very helpful. i didn't expect such a detailed answer

also, the oh-so-ever important question is do you want to meet japanese girls?

there's a few things that could complicate things

1) do you speak english

2) how old are you? e.g. shibuya is late teens and early 20s

3) are you a non-japanese asian 

we know of a lot of pick up spots but it really depends on your demographic 

not important atm

Dunno where else to post it:

For those of us in the US, this site has an insane selection of books for pretty much < than the retail at Kinokuniya and etc.

Free shipping too. Tax free for out of staters. 

http://www.nihonbooks.com

I'm in no way affiliated. I just bought Popeye, Go OUT and some other normcore fashion magazines. 

A copy of popeye is like 9 bucks. 

Please buy your fashion books from here so we can keep legit businesses like this alive. 

Hey they actually have some Cat Shit One books in stock, thanks