japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

• 2 weeks later...

omnibus does suck.

light up in kichijoji and about life in shibuya have been my favorites so far. 

was into both of those. brought back 2 lbs from light up , bolivia and kenya. i like cafe use too, i dont hear it get mentioned often. maybe its just the atmosphere i was into.

Edited by TANO

the honest truth is, the things we covet japanese people always buy at full price even at the expense of downgrading their everyday quality of life. the best thing to do is just to look at stuff in japan and write down the items. buy from ssense and etc.

the only sale that i can possibly vouch for is the one at international gallery beams. for whatever reason, their discount goes beyond 50% off of retail and they usually have really interesting items from street-ish labels to haute couture fashion houses.

I'm studying abroad in Tokyo this upcoming spring and I'm not sure how to handle the phone situation. My carrier in the states is Verizon but while I was in London, I had a monthly unlimited data plan with 3. Does Tokyo have anything similar? Any help would be appreciated. 

I'm studying abroad in Tokyo this upcoming spring and I'm not sure how to handle the phone situation. My carrier in the states is Verizon but while I was in London, I had a monthly unlimited data plan with 3. Does Tokyo have anything similar? Any help would be appreciated. 

If you have a phone that's been on carrier for 1+ years, you have the option to have it unlocked. I had an older iphone 4 i used in europe and bought a simcard in paris and then ran around with. Otherwise you could just buy the already unlocked iphones, but those are more pricy. 

i was just out there for several months and was using data sim cards which are readily available at any big electronics stores (bic camera, yodobashi camera, labi, etc). japan is still not open to temp sims that allow voice calls but slowly workin towards it

i'd just use Skype out or google voice with an LTE card.

oh yeah, don't ever get nihon tsushin's 5gb (or was it 3gb)? LTE card that works for a month. 

they throttle you like crazy unless you stick to google maps and web browsing.

If you have a phone that's been on carrier for 1+ years, you have the option to have it unlocked. I had an older iphone 4 i used in europe and bought a simcard in paris and then ran around with. Otherwise you could just buy the already unlocked iphones, but those are more pricy. 

I should've mentioned in my previous post that I have an unlocked iphone 6. I was able to save some cash by paying for a monthly sim card while in London. 

i was just out there for several months and was using data sim cards which are readily available at any big electronics stores (bic camera, yodobashi camera, labi, etc). japan is still not open to temp sims that allow voice calls but slowly workin towards it

Any recommendations for data sim cards? Having a good amount of data for maps and imessage/fb messenger would be ideal. I usually don't do voice calls so a small amount of minutes doesn't bother me. If anything, I'd use facetime audio for a voice call. 

I should've mentioned in my previous post that I have an unlocked iphone 6. I was able to save some cash by paying for a monthly sim card while in London. 

Any recommendations for data sim cards? Having a good amount of data for maps and imessage/fb messenger would be ideal. I usually don't do voice calls so a small amount of minutes doesn't bother me. If anything, I'd use facetime audio for a voice call. 

i used so-net and iijmio (cheaper). i prefer the so-net as there was no throttle..but weird since almost all these sim cards are on the same network (docomo). there's a bunch of options at the electronics shops

aren't those iij cards subscription based? i could be wrong. those are all MVNO cards. different providers are "borrowing lines" from the major GSM carriers. 

aren't those iij cards subscription based?

they have a bunch of different sim cards. i got the temporary one that don't require subscription and is geared towards visitors. so many options compared to few years ago

apparently roppongi hills is redoing their men's fashion area 

new stores include: undercover, soph, facetasm, n. hollywood, factotum, attachment, wjk, minotaur

good idea? i don't know

i think these are all free-standing shops

Edited by herpsky