japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

best shabu i had in japan was at a friends place in gunma under a kotatsu with all locally grown produce. highlight being the veggies at not the meat.

skip the shabu and find a decent sukiyaki place. also this thread is filled with recommendations for particular restaurants and bars, just gotta look 

Edited by Method

best shabu i had in japan was at a friends place in gunma under a kotatsu with all locally grown produce. highlight being the veggies at not the meat.

skip the shabu and find a decent sukiyaki place. also this thread is filled with recommendations for particular restaurants and bars, just gotta look 

it's fucking crazy that all these californians and hawaiians (i don't mean the aboriginals) always tell me how much they like shabu. it's like a sunday dinner you'd have with your folks with sazae-san on in the background. i’ve been to imahan for sukiyaki lunch, and it was great. 

i'm probably doing a bunch of lunches this time. nothing crazy for dinners. 

People eat shabu at home, and pass out under the kotatsu.  Kind of a waste to spend 20000-30000yen to par boil some A5 Saga gyu  

If your GF is fluent, she should know about 2chome, tabelog and how to make reservations over the telephone.  FYI you will probably need to have a japan local phone number to confirm reservations for most Michelin starred\high Tabelog ranked places as well(only a few places will take a foreign number for confirmation), otherwise you got to stay at 5 star like the Tokyo Station Hotel and make use of their concierge.  Also you probably should had made reservations 1-2 months ago.  Oh yeah bring cash, one of the stupidest thing about Japan is paying cash for 80000yen meal in cash, the 2nd stupidest is going to the ATM to get cash for said meal and find out that ATMs shutdown at 9pm.  

Not being a dick, okay maybe I am but a lot of your questions could have been answered by using common sense and google.

i had no idea that was the reason why people always told me that they had to use hotel concierge to book. i usually go with my folks so it's never been a problem. interesting. i think it has a lot to do with the fact that the mainlanders (sorry to be judgmental but yeah) just make reservations at a bunch of michelin starred restaurants and choose one based on their mood for the day, and totally ditch the other outstanding reservations. may not be true but from i've been told that's the reason why they stopped taking reservations from farrin people. the japanese are inherently polite and like to adhere to schedule – no show is more like a westerner phenomenon. 

Hi herpsky,

See my comments in red and let me know if you can please address them. I am from LA and going to Japan in 2 weeks... will be 4 days in Tokyo, 2 days in Kyoto, 4 days in Osaka and then 4 more days in Tokyo. I cut things out of your post that did not relate to what I'm talking about... hope you don't mind.

Also, I should say that usually when I go to foreign countries... my favorite thing to do is to go out to a bar, talk and make friends with random strangers that wanna have some fun, end up bar hopping with them and find other really cool spots that i would have never found on my own. I am not asian and definitely don't speak Japanese, but my gf is fluent. I have heard/read that japanese people are not the type that I can just instantly make friends with and go bar/club hopping with... what's my best plan for this or what are the neighborhoods where this is more likely to happen?

Oh and one more question that isn't on your list... what's THE spot to go to for shabu shabu and/or sukiyaki? I want authentic as fuck please.

Your help (and ANYONE else's input) is very, very highly appreciated!

it was simply a list of things that i like to do. tokyo has so many great places and the retail / restaurant turnover is simply insane. there's no such thing as a go-to place IMO though there are some spots that truly have stood the test of time. the aoyama yakiniku place called yoroniku is hella hype. never been and probably won't ever get to go. most of the IT restaurants are pretty much impossible to book unless you plan months ahead. you know, just like making a reservation at Noma except tokyo has like 500 restaurants of similar caliber.

i usually go to neighborhood spots. they are usually between 3 and 4, proably closer to 3.5 on tabelog. if a place is over 3.5 on tabelog, it's proably a fraud.

Edited by herpsky

i had no idea that was the reason why people always told me that they had to use hotel concierge to book. i usually go with my folks so it's never been a problem. interesting. i think it has a lot to do with the fact that the mainlanders (sorry to be judgmental but yeah) just make reservations at a bunch of michelin starred restaurants and choose one based on their mood for the day, and totally ditch the other outstanding reservations. may not be true but from i've been told that's the reason why they stopped taking reservations from farrin people. the japanese are inherently polite and like to adhere to schedule – no show is more like a westerner phenomenon. 

My ex is chinese but fluent in Japanese and was living there for a bit. Whenever she made reservations using the name "Chu-san" they would ask where she was from. They would then ask if anyone speaking fluent Japanese would be accompanying the party attending, and even requested a Japanese address. I thought it was pretty bizarre at first but a friend told us that it was because high-end Japanese restaurants can be very traditional in customs and most of the employees don't speak english. They don't like dealing with customers that can't make requests in Japanese and rather not deliver a bad dining experience that could ruin their reputation. 

it's fucking crazy that all these californians and hawaiians (i don't mean the aboriginals) always tell me how much they like shabu. it's like a sunday dinner you'd have with your folks with sazae-san on in the background. i’ve been to imahan for sukiyaki lunch, and it was great. 

i'm probably doing a bunch of lunches this time. nothing crazy for dinners. 

I know quite a few people in the restaurant business.  Never heard about mainland chinese but I dont doubt it lol mostly wealthy Americans who will probably go to Tokyo try to book the "best" with a few backups and hope they get lucky with scoring a reservation and never go back so they dont give a fuck.  Mizutani told me he doesnt like Americans because they complain they want no hikarimono, no shellfish, when he has a planned menu based on whats best available, ask for wine pairings when he doesnt have wine, bitch that he only has one type of sake,.  When my wife used to book michelin starred restaurants, she used to give her US number, now she has to give her home address and phone in Kyushu.

^ I perfectly understand why that's the case–my recent trip was with a person who had "diet constraints" and it was difficult to say the least. Go into sushi place, ask if they can cook sushi, is there a non raw option, can you torch this more until it's cooked? Go into yakiniku place, ask for no medium rare, cook well done but make sure it doesn't have any burn marks, is the meat grass fed? can you not use soy? Is this sea salt? do you have olive oil? (all of this was happening in pantomime aided English)

Tried to just build a wall of patience and respect around it, but resent still managed to find its way through. I can imagine how much more of a problem this could be with wypipo, 1st worlders, etc. (Sorry for the rant, I just needed to get that out of me.)

i broke up with my now jp ex and will miss the aforementioned tablelog translations and restaurant hookups, esp the ones she was able to get through her advertising work. long distance relationships involve too much sadness and heartache (nh). not recommended.

edit: will probably miss using line stickers multiple times a day more than tabelog.

Edited by conqueror

i broke up with my now jp ex and will miss the aforementioned tablelog translations and restaurant hookups, esp the ones she was able to get through her advertising work. long distance relationships involve too much sadness and heartache (nh). not recommended.

edit: will probably miss using line stickers multiple times a day more than tabelog.

paging relationship advice thread

that sucks homie. coming back though?

it was simply a list of things that i like to do. tokyo has so many great places and the retail / restaurant turnover is simply insane. there's no such thing as a go-to place IMO though there are some spots that truly have stood the test of time. the aoyama yakiniku place called yoroniku is hella hype. never been and probably won't ever get to go. most of the IT restaurants are pretty much impossible to book unless you plan months ahead. you know, just like making a reservation at Noma except tokyo has like 500 restaurants of similar caliber.

i usually go to neighborhood spots. they are usually between 3 and 4, proably closer to 3.5 on tabelog. if a place is over 3.5 on tabelog, it's proably a fraud.

Thanks man

Would it be possible for me, an American, to extend (or, "reset") my tourist visa? My girlfriend and I will be staying there for the 90-day limit, but our jobs are such that we don't *have* to come back that soon if we don't want to. Would traveling a bit outside of Japan for a week or two suffice to reset the count?

Anyone know any epic recs for curry rice in Tokyo? Knew some place in Sendagaya but was closed last time I was there.

yogoro is kaggy. not sufu approved

curry up is

Edited by herpsky

Where should I buy Kalita stuff in Tokyo? I won't be living within walking distance of any good cafes (unless there's something near Meidaimae station I don't know about), so I'd like to buy a kettle and some filters. I already have the Wave and a hand grinder. 

edit: and thanks, warakia

Edited by jstavrin