japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

I stayed here during my time in Osaka last October for a few days. Located near Daikokucho station , its only a few stations away from Namba and Osaka/Umeda station and so its very easy to get to places like Dotonburi and Shinsaibashi. I'd highly recommend it. 

http://www.agoda.com/en-ca/hotel-relief-namba-daikokucho/hotel/osaka-jp.html

guys fyi there's an osaka thread

Will be in TKO for a week from Feb 3rd, could anyone recommend some good second hand clothing stores? Have been to RagTag and Komehyo and whilst they were great, I was wondering if you guys had some others you could share? After brands like Visvim, Wtaps, NBHD, Supreme and the like.

Cheers!

Have you ever been to the Shimokitazawa area? I think you'll find a bunch of stuff there

After brands like Visvim, Wtaps, NBHD, Supreme and the like.

why would you suggest shimokitazawa?

There's that super kimoi 2nd hand store sufuers frequent in Shimokitazawa. I forgot the name.

Honestly, it's much better to look at jawnz in Tokyo then go back to wherever you came from and cop onsale.

Unless you are a die-hard visvim or whatever urahara brand fan, it's much easier and cheaper to cop shit online outside of Japan.

The quality of the shit at 2nd hand stores are really shitty though. You'll come across bargains once in a while but they are usually worn to death. One time I found a pair of super rare made in UK nbs, i bought them. Fell apart after a day. 

Sales in Japan are a total waste of time and money. Tokyoites are so jawn crazy that all the good shit never go on sale or gone a few days after shit drops. Isetan's 40% off is pretty decent if you are into domestic brands. IG beams usually has good stuff on sale too. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but fashion retail in Japan operates on a non-kaitori system i.e. most stores do not actually own the inventory and return whatever that's not sold at the end of a season to their tonya / distributor. On the other hand, stores overseas actually own their inventories so they must liquidate at the end of season, hence crazy sales. 

One time, my jbz friend who works for tomorrowland took me to Third Culture's family sale. I bought like 3 givenchy tees for 40 bucks each. I ended up reselling them on Y! for like 200 each. There are good deals to be had but it's usually at true invite-only family sales.

Edited by herpsky

Heatwave, stay 246, px megastore, la avenue, and there are a few shops in uraharajuku on the same street and the street parallel to preme and neighbor. Also, you could go on a woatie peasant tour of ragtags that are scattered throughout Tokyo. I think most people buy from Yahoo auctions. No one buys from 2nd hand stores except inaka peasants.

shimokita is like the opposite of those types of brands

Tbf, I did find some old supreme and one of the newer taps parasmocks at one of the thrift stores in shimok, but I do see where you're coming from in saying it's the opposite. 

Heatwave, stay 246, px megastore, la avenue, and there are a few shops in uraharajuku on the same street and the street parallel to preme and neighbor. Also, you could go on a woatie peasant tour of ragtags that are scattered throughout Tokyo. I think most people buy from Yahoo auctions. No one buys from 2nd hand stores except inaka peasants.

thanks for the suggestions! I'll make sure to check them out

Tbf, I did find some old supreme and one of the newer taps parasmocks at one of the thrift stores in shimok, but I do see where you're coming from in saying it's the opposite. 

thanks for the suggestions! I'll make sure to check them out

The ragtag? (maybe it's jumble store) near Daikanyama address has a lot of wearable stuff. The one on Cat street and in Jinnan are kinda questionable because they are frequented by kimoy dudes. I vaguely recall that the said Daikanyama one had a lot of newish taps and visvim. This was like a year ago. 

Waited in line for bluebottle, shrugged irl afterwards. 

blue bottle ain that good its mostly just honky technerds that go there and bring their own mason jars n shit (or at least in sf it is) 

also their new orleans iced coffee taste like windex or s/t prob the chicory in it 

I used to think Blue Bottle was GOAT before I really got into coffee. I guess blue bottle is relatively good compared to a lot of the Japanese coffeeshops – I'd say 95% of them seriously suck compared to spots like Barista, GGT, Heart, Sightglass, and etc. 

I've never figured out their fascination with garbage Hawaiian diners, pancake spots e.g. bills, chicago-style (?) popcorn, and etc. They go crazy foreign chain stores open up shops in Tokyo. I'm convinced that those people who frequent those places are from the country side who just don't know any better.

Then again, it's not fair to give them shit because tons of wypipo line up for stupid ass shit like voodoo donuts and pink's hotdogs, which are both pure trash.

I used to think Blue Bottle was GOAT before I really got into coffee. I guess blue bottle is relatively good compared to a lot of the Japanese coffeeshops – I'd say 95% of them seriously suck compared to spots like Barista, GGT, Heart, Sightglass, and etc. 

I've never figured out their fascination with garbage Hawaiian diners, pancake spots e.g. bills, chicago-style (?) popcorn, and etc. They go crazy foreign chain stores open up shops in Tokyo. I'm convinced that those people who frequent those places are from the country side who just don't know any better.

Then again, it's not fair to give them shit because tons of wypipo line up for stupid ass shit like voodoo donuts and pink's hotdogs, which are both pure trash.

very true. but the coffee hype in japan is nowhere as corny as the ramen hype in nyc. all the sudden wypipo be ramen experts 

agreed. for whatever reason, it's some sort of a status symbol. it's kind of like a way of advertising that you are a "foodie". Then again, ramen is somewhat of a novel concept for the wypipo because they don't really eat hot food aside from the occasional soup. 

also, japan has so much insane non-noodle options. smh when people are like i had this ramen and that ramen

also, i think the ramen hype is partly driven by wypipo's ignorance about japanese food. 

they think sushi = japanese food. most americans who don't live in LA or NYC have never been exposed, or know that japanese comfort food exists. most americans, even those who claim themselves as foodies, don't know shit about anything. 

has any1 been to the roof top bar at Andaz? apparently, it's nexxxxxxt level. i was looking at the menu but was kinda underwhelmed. but then again, what do i know? some of the best g&t i've had in my life were made with fucking beefeater and wilkinson. 

Edited by herpsky

blue bottle ain that good its mostly just honky technerds that go there and bring their own mason jars n shit (or at least in sf it is) 

also their new orleans iced coffee taste like windex or s/t prob the chicory in it 

N.O. iced coffee is actually what I had and thought it was whatever. Even if the area was more convenient I wouldn't bother again. Little Nap dabes. Though I think Bluebottle is opening Aoyama like next month? Meh.

And re:ramen hype I think it has to do with internet / social media culture obsession with Japanese anything. Post any bowl of Ramen from any restaurant you can think of on instagram for like++++++

also, i think the ramen hype is partly driven by wypipo's ignorance about japanese food. 

they think sushi = japanese food. most americans who don't live in LA or NYC have never been exposed, or know that japanese comfort food exists. most americans, even those who claim themselves as foodies, don't know shit about anything. 

has any1 been to the roof top bar at Andaz? apparently, it's nexxxxxxt level. i was looking at the menu but was kinda underwhelmed. but then again, what do i know? some of the best g&t i've had in my life were made with fucking beefeater and wilkinson. 

Next level because of food or atmosphere? 52nd story hotel bar just sounds like Park Hyatt pt. 2 but newer. 

N.O. iced coffee is actually what I had and thought it was whatever. Even if the area was more convenient I wouldn't bother again. Little Nap dabes. Though I think Bluebottle is opening Aoyama like next month? Meh.

And re:ramen hype I think it has to do with internet / social media culture obsession with Japanese anything. Post any bowl of Ramen from any restaurant you can think of on instagram for like++++++

Next level because of food or atmosphere? 52nd story hotel bar just sounds like Park Hyatt pt. 2 but newer. 

Aoyama Blue Bottle is opening in March, followed by Daikanyama BB. I just read Tartine is opening up in Daikyama in a couple of months and the hype is through the roof. 

-edit- it's part of that new multimillion dollar saikaihatsu over the new daikayama train station 

Shops will include: Fred Segal, Tartine, Spring Valley Brewery Tokyo (A new craft beer brewery by Kirin), and etc

http://fashionmarketingjournal.com/2014/07/New-Daikanyama-PJ.html

Andaz apparently either has or uses recipes of, highly skilled Swiss bartenders, and the music selection is next level good. This du I trust for his opinions says, "スイスã‹ã‚‰æ¥ãŸä¸–界トップクラスã®ä½œã‚‹ã‚«ã‚¯ãƒ†ãƒ«ãŒã©ã‚Œã‚‚飲んã ã“ã¨ãªã„ãらã„繊細ã§ç¾Žå‘³ã—ã„。Cuban Jazzã¨Drum n. bass mix。一見高ã„ã‘ã©ã€å€¤æ®µä»¥ä¸Šã®ä¾¡å€¤ã¯ã‚るよ"

Park Hyatt bar (I've never been) sounds like a place Japanophiles who watched lost in translation visit. I'm sure it's got an excellent view. I think Andaz has not blown up by kimoi gaijin yet, and the most of the customers are in-the-know scenesters.

Has anyone been here? Apparently, the best bakery in Japan?

http://zopf.jp/ruheplatz-zopf/r_access/

Edited by herpsky

i just can't figure this out. the japanese do everything better than anyone else when it comes to food, especially pastries and bread. why do people keep fuckin with all these wypipo chains?

Pastries, cakes yes.  I fucking love Harbs which just opened up not too far me.  Bread is debatable.  In Tokyo is still kind of tough to find the more hearty and long fermented\proofed european breads.  You will find lots of bread that looks like pain de champange, but inside the texture is like sho pan.  Dont get me wrong I love sho pan, those fancy Robuchon curry pans, yakisoba pan, but often I find myself wanting a hard, crusty,sour piece of bread with french butter and sea salt.