japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Oh really. Please do share. 

The place in Nakame, which kuya SS likes, me not raiku.

The JPN are good at making many things but Beer, pizza, and coffee (on average) are exceptions.

Edited by herpsky

The place in Nakame, which kuya SS likes, me not raiku.

The JPN are good at making many things but Beer, pizza, and coffee (on average) are exceptions.

I lyke nakame, but I dun eat pizza there. Line is always 2 long.

Working from home for the next 9 months, going stir-crazy in the house while my wife is at work. 

Anyone have any favorite cafes on west side of Tokyo with good wifi and good coffee where I can camp our for a couple hours and get work done? Getting sick of the Starbucks by my station. Streamer Coffee in Shibuya and Brooklyn Parlor in Shinjuku are both nice, looking for more like that - someplace where I can work without feeling like I'm in the way.

Edited by nicelynice

Wifi at coffee shops in Tokyo is spotty at best. I'm guessing you have access to softbank or wi2? Better yet, get an emobile or one of those pocket wifi routers.

djrajio and I are both big fans of Lotus in Omotesando. It's in a pretty residential area. Really sick pastries and cheap coffee (250?). The wifi is free and crazy fast. The waitresses never ever bother you. 

Daikanyama and Nakame has great spots. 

I really like Eau Cafe (3F of the OG Lad Musician) in Daikanyama. Super quiet. Really sick cakes. The food is pretty decent too. The cafe on the 2nd Fl of Tsutaya T-site is good. It's a bit pricey but it's quiet on weekdays.  Gets mobbed on weekends. Also, it's a great spot for people watching. Some of the steeziest boys and girls come through. I also like Ivy Place in Daikanayama. It's owned by TY Harbor, the same folks who brought you Cicada, Beacon, and etc. Chanoma in Nakame is also a decent spot during the day. There's a bunch of spots along the river too. I forgot what the place was called but there's a cafe that looks really good next to Bamboo Shoots (the river location. it's a store that carries chrome, arcteryx, klattermusen and etc). 

The Ron Herman cafe in Sendagaya is also not a bad option. 

Thanks for the advice - will check out all those places in the near future. Been meaning to visit T-Site on a weekday too, that place is a zoo on weekends. 

And yeah, I have a phone with tethering and access to SoftBank spots, just figure if a place has WiFi they'd be cooler with me sitting for a couple hours

I wanna send a few items to JPN. Nothing heavy. What's the most economical way these days. USPS priority has a pretty high base price...unless it changed

Thanks for the advice - will check out all those places in the near future. Been meaning to visit T-Site on a weekday too, that place is a zoo on weekends. 

And yeah, I have a phone with tethering and access to SoftBank spots, just figure if a place has WiFi they'd be cooler with me sitting for a couple hours

Yeah, that's one of the best things about SoftBank

Unlimited tethering. Screw American telecom companies. Unlimited SMS is like 20 bux here. It's free in the rest of world...

Tossing up between two very similar places to stay for my 7 nights in Tokyo. You can't really split the two regarding price, amenities etc. also both are in Shibuya. The only difference is location: one is right near Shinjuku station and the other is a stone throw from Shibuya station. I know they aren't very far apart from each other (two train stops?) but in terms of surrounding streets and places to visit by foot in these two areas which would you say pops off more?

Depends on what you are looking for. What are the hotels you are looking at. 

I'd say Shibuya. Shinjuku is only good for Isetan and Golden-gai. One perk of Shinjuku is that you can take a Chuo-line to get to the other side of Tokyo pretty quickly. With that said, it's only like a 7 minute train ride from Shibuya to Shinjuku so you might as well skip it.

Wifi at coffee shops in Tokyo is spotty at best. I'm guessing you have access to softbank or wi2? Better yet, get an emobile or one of those pocket wifi routers.

djrajio and I are both big fans of Lotus in Omotesando. It's in a pretty residential area. Really sick pastries and cheap coffee (250?). The wifi is free and crazy fast. The waitresses never ever bother you. 

Daikanyama and Nakame has great spots. 

I really like Eau Cafe (3F of the OG Lad Musician) in Daikanyama. Super quiet. Really sick cakes. The food is pretty decent too. The cafe on the 2nd Fl of Tsutaya T-site is good. It's a bit pricey but it's quiet on weekdays.  Gets mobbed on weekends. Also, it's a great spot for people watching. Some of the steeziest boys and girls come through. I also like Ivy Place in Daikanayama. It's owned by TY Harbor, the same folks who brought you Cicada, Beacon, and etc. Chanoma in Nakame is also a decent spot during the day. There's a bunch of spots along the river too. I forgot what the place was called but there's a cafe that looks really good next to Bamboo Shoots (the river location. it's a store that carries chrome, arcteryx, klattermusen and etc). 

The Ron Herman cafe in Sendagaya is also not a bad option. 

Lotus is great. A bit out of the ways from the main streets. Wifi is great and the girls are cute. I used to meet my patterner for meetings there quite often in the past.

Been going to Montoak in Omotesando like crazy for meetings recently. Again free wifi. Food is decent and the waitresses are cute.

Ivy Place @ T-Site is kinda hyped up. Can never get a table unless you get a reservation. Lots of steezy couples rolling through w/ their pets on the weekends. 

There's a new Mercer Brunch next to Midtown which is getting a lot of buzz.

Again, thanks for the tips. Any Jiyugaoka recs? I'm at Futako Tamagawa, been skipping over Jiyugaoka and heading straight to Daikanyama lately, though. Tabelog is great for food, but seems so hit or miss with casual cafes - too many times the place is just packed with gossipy housewives or so crowded I feel guilty taking up a table.

Lots of steezy couples rolling through w/ their pets on the weekends. 

My favorite part of cruising by T-Site right here - there's a dude with two huge borzois (is that the correct plural or borzoi??) chilling there almost every weekend just showing off his gigantic, beautiful dogs. 

Edited by nicelynice

Again, thanks for the tips. Any Jiyugaoka recs? I'm at Futako Tamagawa, been skipping over Jiyugaoka and heading straight to Daikanyama lately, though. Tabelog is great for food, but seems so hit or miss with casual cafes - too many times the place is just packed with gossipy housewives or so crowded I feel guilty taking up a table.

My favorite part of cruising by T-Site right here - there's a dude with two huge borzois (is that the correct plural or borzoi??) chilling there almost every weekend just showing off his gigantic, beautiful dogs. 

Gaoka my hometown, bru. So is futako. I know a lot of sick spots along Tokyu-line but most of them are not very gaijin friendly (as in complicated menus and servers know 0 English). Gaoka changed a lot since pipo decided to make it into a "girl's town" after Sweetsforest was built. Will post some recs later tonight.

The rule of tabelog: Use it as a way to avoid the  landmines. The places that I love to death usually score somewhere between 3.5 to 4. 

Depends on what you are looking for. What are the hotels you are looking at. 

I'd say Shibuya. Shinjuku is only good for Isetan and Golden-gai. One perk of Shinjuku is that you can take a Chuo-line to get to the other side of Tokyo pretty quickly. With that said, it's only like a 7 minute train ride from Shibuya to Shinjuku so you might as well skip it.

One of them is Cerualean Tower and the other is Century Southern. I'm going to shop pretty hard when I'm there and absorb the nightlife and food. So with that in mind would you recommend the Cerulean?

One of them is Cerualean Tower and the other is Century Southern. I'm going to shop pretty hard when I'm there and absorb the nightlife and food. So with that in mind would you recommend the Cerulean?

Cerulean is always the consensus here (I think). It's in Shibuya but away from the craziness. I think it'll be a plus if you get a room that doesn't face the highway but the soundproofing there is good so it shouldn't be an issue anyway. 

If you use Chase Ultimate rewards, the amount of points needed for 6 nights at Shinagawa Prince Hotel a 133 night hotel is almost the same as 400 a night Tokyo Station Hotel, so use those points for Tokyo Station Hotel.  Not sure if this a mistake, but it hasnt been corrected.

I don't know what you are looking for in Jiyugaoka but some recs that I have

Jiyugaoka caters to familes with kids and wimmenz. Bros not wanted in this town. 

1) Hakusan Gankyo Ten. It basically has the same selection as WALLS in Shibuya. There's literally no one shopping here ever. Really good selection of glasses.

2) There's an intersection with "trendy" shops: Tomorrowland, AA, Jiyugaoka Bake Shop (don't go - there's like only like an inch between the tables and caters to girls who just don't know any better)

3) Village Vanguard. Well, it's a chain. The one in Gaoka is pretty decent though. 

4) Ultra - It's another small chain tavern but the food and drinks here are very solid. Usually need a reservation on weekdays. 

5) Tomita - Really hyped Karaage and chicken dishes. It's very good. No prices on the menu and they usually rip you off. 

6) el pescador - one of the most famous Spanish restaurants west of Yamanote-line. It's very good but it gets mobbed.

7) Shibamatsu - Supposedly has the best Chanko (that hot pot thing sumo wrestlers eat) on the western side of TYO. It's kind of far and is closer to Midorigaoka than Jiyugaoka.

8) Hachinoya - Traditional Japanese wagashi. It's probably not as exciting as those expensive places in the basement of department stores but very solid. It's been a Gaoka staple.

9) Tonki - Tonkatsu. A sister store of the OG Tonki in Meguro. I don't think it's worth going there but Gaoka is kind of devoid of good food anyway. 

10) Mujaki is probably the most famous ramen joint. It sucks IMO. 

11) B2nd - A clothing store that is kinda out of place. I'm p sure no sufuer has ever been here.  They carry a lot of...well...jawnz. Peep the list http://www.b-2nd.com/brandlist/index.html

12) CiBone (now called Today's special). Cibone's concept flagship. Assortment of jawns and designer furniture. Has a cafe. Have not been since the renovation. I think they do a lot of NY inspired stuff.

13) Jiyugaoka Depart. It's a bit weird. It's a bit shady. Something you wouldn't think you would see in year 2014. It's a covered arcade-ish (?) building that extends from the North exit of Jiyugaoka station all the way to Midorigaoka. Jiyugaoka, believe it or not, used to have one of the biggest black markets (yami-ichi) in the post WW2 era. When the area was getting gentrified, they put a building to drive out the vendors' and called it Jiyugaoka Depart(ment) store. It's got that very retro Showa-type thing going on. The 2nd floor and basement almost remind of Hong Kong. This place is not very Tokyo at all. It's def. worth visiting. It has like a BONITO (katsuobushi) store in the basement. Isn't that weird? I guess it's the same concept as Ame-yoko in Ueno.

Some other off-the-grid spots around Gaoka that might be worth visiting (actually these are spots that I've mostly kept to myself...I mean, nobody ever ventures out to these areas anyway)

1) Au bon Vieux Temps - Located in Oyamadai. Probably some of the best pastries and cakes I've had in Tokyo.  This one seriously stands out from the crowd. Puts places like Kielfebon to shame. Customers as well as aspiring patissiers from all over Japan come here to buy cake and to train. An absolute delight. Jiyugaoka has some famous pastry shops (like that Yoroizuka roll-cake joint) but this place goes far above and beyond. 

2) Kamakurayama in Futakotamagawa Takashimaya. Well known for Roast Beef. You've never had anything like this before. Swing by if you plan on going to the Ron Herman, which is located in the same complex. Also, a great spot to check out hot trophy wives.  Be warned. Lunch is like 3k yen+

3) Akenokyo. In Ebara Nakanobu. Great soba and Oyakodon. 

4) Donq in Futako Tamagawa Rise. It's a chain bakery. it's the best (affordable) chain bakery in Japan. 

5) Pikinoo in Komazawa Daigaku. Curry to die for. 

6) Warito in Ikejiri Ohashi. Past golden brown. It's on the right side if you are coming from Nakame. Really good tsukemen.

7) Bowery Kitchen in Komazawa Daigaku. The one cafe that started it all. The cafe boom / revolution originated here. It's owned by the same guy who owns lotus. He owns a bunch of cafes. His latest is Pretty Things - SF style coffee stand. 

8) Kuumba de falafel - Probably the best falafel I've ever had. I've had plenty of middle eastern in the US but this place is pretty insane. In Shinsen.

9) Gohongi Intersection. Probably one of the micro hotspots of TYO. It's the intersection that's right by Jazzy Sports Records. Jazzy sports is one of the best record stores in Tokyo. There are some mens independent boutiques that are really interesting. The takoyaki stand across the street is pretty goatie. If you have extra energy, I'd suggest that you walk to Yutenji towards Nakame on Komazawa dori. Digawell will be on your left. There's a bunch of cool looking cafes and shops along the street but I haven't really been to any of those.

10) Imuaroi - My #1 go-to Thai place in Nakame. Sucks that people smoke during lunch time. 

11) Not really off-the-grid. Kingyobachi in Harajuku. A true hole in the wall. If you want decent teishoku that's  cheap, go here. 

12) Yogorou - It's in Sendagaya. Super great curry. The hours suck and they are closed on random days. 

13) Tatsumiya - Well known among local skaters. Looks like an old-school neighborhood stationery store (and it is) but it's also a skateshop. This place, hands down, has the best selections of decks in Tokyo. Also, they somehow don't use distributors to source their goods so they are like half as expensive as FTC, Preme, and Heshdawgz. In Toritsudaigaku.

14) Motsuyaki Ban - True OG in Yutenji. The intestines. Hoppy. Ojisan drunk at 3PM kind of place. AFAIK, rated one of the best Motsu places in TYO. 

Well, this turned out to be ginormous list. hope this helps. i felt exxxxxxtra generous because you said you were going to my hood.

Edited by herpsky

Whoaaa, huuuge thanks for the list. Already crossed off a few of these - had mediocre brunch at Jiyugaoka Bake Shop, bought housewares at Today's Special, tried unsuccessfully on two occasions to make reservations at El Pescador (damn busy on weekends), and peeped the trophy wives at at Futako (OK, well, that's everyday..). Will add the rest to my to-do list, certainly have the free time. Again, thanks a ton.

Let me know if you make it back to area, would be more than happy to buy you a drink. I'll be here for the next, uh, three years.

edit: By the way, last time I was in Jiyugaoka some dude had an overweight meerkat on a leash wearing a dirty happi coat - lovely neighborhood, lovely. http://instagram.com/p/fcCpjfPe0r/

Edited by nicelynice

Cerulean is always the consensus here (I think). It's in Shibuya but away from the craziness. I think it'll be a plus if you get a room that doesn't face the highway but the soundproofing there is good so it shouldn't be an issue anyway. 

Thanks bro, you're really helpful. Going to get a room on the 29th floor so hopefully the sound isn't too bad up there!

ehhh, just tried to find it on googlemaps - can't pinpoint it.  it's just NW of the station, less than a five min walk.  there's a street that's not showing up on st view that I'm pretty sure is where it is... 

fwiw: i'm not claiming it's amazing, but in the time i was in tokyo it was some of the best i had, and I'm a snob about pizza even in US...  and really, if you're in koenji just hop on the train and go to Aoba in Nakano. bc their tsukemen is better than any pizza, ever.

nb: probably the best pizza/italian food i had in tokyo was in/near hakusan, but there's no way i could ever locate it again, my boss took me and it was a trek.

edit: oh, jk, just looked and somehow stumbled upon it: é’ã„ナãƒãƒª Japan 〒112-0002 æ±äº¬éƒ½æ–‡äº¬åŒºå°çŸ³å·3-32-1 2F

Edited by Christmas In A Submarine.

Thanks bro, you're really helpful. Going to get a room on the 29th floor so hopefully the sound isn't too bad up there!

I've stayed at Cerulean half a dozen times and never had an issue with sound, even on the lower floors. 

Only annoyance with the place is the internet charge, Â¥1,050 a night for non wireless - pocket wifi a much better option.