japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

I've been buying physical copies of mixtapes and indies rap because most of them are nearly impossible to find online and are around 1500 yen. Very surprised that the said album is selling for 3000. 

Hi guys,

Quick question re: SuicaNEX tickets.

I'm going from Narita to Hakone so I'm taking the NEX from Narita Station to Odawara Station via the Tokaido line.

But the NEX ticket only covers my trip to Ofuna station, does that mean I have to get out at Ofuna, then get back in again and continue to Odawara with the Suica balance? Or is the computer going to take care of all that?

Hi guys,

Quick question re: SuicaNEX tickets.

I'm going from Narita to Hakone so I'm taking the NEX from Narita Station to Odawara Station via the Tokaido line.

But the NEX ticket only covers my trip to Ofuna station, does that mean I have to get out at Ofuna, then get back in again and continue to Odawara with the Suica balance? Or is the computer going to take care of all that?

The machine at Odawara or Hakone will take care of this. Also, Japanese station workers very tourist friendly. Just tell them where you got on the train. They'll figure out the rest for you. 

Is that even the most efficient way?

I'm looking at Ekitan.com

The cheapest one way fare is about 2500 yen and takes 3.5 hours. 

You only save 30 minutes max by taking NEX but costs twice as much.

Going to Shinbashi and transferring JR Odakyu is probably the easiest.

Tell me what your plan is. Maybe I can figure out the best way for you?

The machine at Odawara or Hakone will take care of this. Also, Japanese station workers very tourist friendly. Just tell them where you got on the train. They'll figure out the rest for you. 

Is that even the most efficient way?

I'm looking at Ekitan.com

The cheapest one way fare is about 2500 yen and takes 3.5 hours. 

You only save 30 minutes max by taking NEX but costs twice as much.

Going to Shinbashi and transferring JR Odakyu is probably the easiest.

Tell me what your plan is. Maybe I can figure out the best way for you?

Thanks man, I'm not really familiar with how the NEX ticket works with the Suica card, so that helps A LOT.

I know it's not the cheapest or the most efficient, but we'll be getting off an 8 hr flight, carrying huge suitcases and I reckon the NEX would be a hell of a lot more comfortable than the JR Odakyu? Plus, we're getting the SuicaNEX return ticket anyway, so that should bring the cost down a bit

Cheers

Ok, I just looked this up and I was totally right. 

Whatever you are talking about = special tourist deal you get at the airport = gives you a suica card with one NEX round trip ticket. the nex ticket covers any distance up to Ofuna. 

The quickest and most inexpensive is to take NEX --> take JR Tokaido to Odawara --> transfer and get to Hakone

The issue here is that not every NEX goes beyond Tokyo (every train stops at Tokyo but the final destination depends on the train – either Ofuna, Yokohama, or Shinagawa). 

JR Tokaido serves Tokyo, Ofuna, and Yokohama. Ofuna is closer to Odawara than Yokohama. 

In summary,

1) take the most convenient NEX you can take from the airport

2) Either get to Tokyo, Ofuna, or Yokohama sta. The closer you can get to Ofuna, the better.

3) Transfer to JR Tokaido.

As far as the tickets go, you will insert the paper-based NEX tickets at entry. You will have to go through a gate with JR station worker at Hakone. He will calculate exactly how much you owe for the trip beyond Ofuna and will deduct the amount from suica. Because NEX covers trip distance up to Ofuna, it makes NO difference in price with regards to where you transfer to JR Tokaido.

The yen pre-loaded in the suica will not be enough so you will have to pay cash upon exit in Hakone to make up for the difference (I mean, you could pre-load suica with $$$ at narita).

Edited by herpsky

Just got back, Spent 8 days in Tokyo. Stayed in Koenji in a really awesome guest house. Fell in love with the neighborhood, truly awesome and unique place. Food was amazing, girls were amazing, weather was nice. Didn't do much shopping really just to much to see and do. Here is my favorite photo from the trip  :)  Japanese culture is truly something special, coming from North America the nation's deep sense of pride and unity blew me away.

11447112213_b5360fb148_b.jpg

Ok, I just looked this up and I was totally right. 

Whatever you are talking about = special tourist deal you get at the airport = gives you a suica card with one NEX round trip ticket. the nex ticket covers any distance up to Ofuna. 

The quickest and most inexpensive is to take NEX --> take JR Tokaido to Odawara --> transfer and get to Hakone

The issue here is that not every NEX goes beyond Tokyo (every train stops at Tokyo but the final destination depends on the train – either Ofuna, Yokohama, or Shinagawa). 

JR Tokaido serves Tokyo, Ofuna, and Yokohama. Ofuna is closer to Odawara than Yokohama. 

In summary,

1) take the most convenient NEX you can take from the airport

2) Either get to Tokyo, Ofuna, or Yokohama sta. The closer you can get to Ofuna, the better.

3) Transfer to JR Tokaido.

As far as the tickets go, you will insert the paper-based NEX tickets at entry. You will have to go through a gate with JR station worker at Hakone. He will calculate exactly how much you owe for the trip beyond Ofuna and will deduct the amount from suica. Because NEX covers trip distance up to Ofuna, it makes NO difference in price with regards to where you transfer to JR Tokaido.

The yen pre-loaded in the suica will not be enough so you will have to pay cash upon exit in Hakone to make up for the difference (I mean, you could pre-load suica with $$$ at narita).

Awesome! Thank you so much for the detailed explanation!

I ended up getting off N'EX at Ofuna, transferring to get to the Odawara via Tokaido Line (altough for some reason the train I was on stopped at Hiratsuka so I had to change to another train).

Paid for the trip on Odawara, and it only cost me 650Â¥, which was covered by my initial Suica credit!

Are the stores in Aoyama/Shibuya/Harajuku areas open on January 2nd? I'm guessing they're all closed on January 1st?

Need to do some last minute shopping before leaving on the 3rd so trying to hit as many stores as possible. Thanks!

probably yes. that's also when the stores release insane "spot" grails. 

Uism usually does one-off leather riders. Sometimes they have one-off t-shirts (it's basically reconstructed vintage with custom Uism logos and etc. not really into it but they have good resale value). Visvim did a leopard deckhand (quite impressive but it was like 90k). Neighborhood did a reiteration of their thunderbolt. 

If you have the cash and patience to line up for these so-called hatsu-uri, you should. 

Read the summary on honeyee

Taps: Varsity and Uggs

WM: vest

Neighbor: Schott

U: ?

Edited by herpsky

Well I found a friend who can give me a bed into her house, it's in the suburbs of Tokyo but it will do the job, any good tattooist around? just to have a look I'm getting a project at tattoo temple in HK which seems to be very good, but a small souvenir of Tokyo on my skin would be very nice.

What's the best time to come around Tokyo for a week?

Why are people lining up on Jan 2 to pay 15k for Bristol FC hoodies? What kind of identity do they perceive the city/(fake) team to have? Why is Nike putting their logo on apparel for an imaginary football club? What does Soph have to do with it? Is this like reverse Superdry? I'm very confused.

btw undercover one-of releases are on the Undercoverlab facebook page

Edited by ProfMonnitoff

Well I found a friend who can give me a bed into her house, it's in the suburbs of Tokyo but it will do the job, any good tattooist around? just to have a look I'm getting a project at tattoo temple in HK which seems to be very good, but a small souvenir of Tokyo on my skin would be very nice.

What's the best time to come around Tokyo for a week?

April / May. September / October. 

Ask 1995chardx. He's gotten some serious tats in JPN. 

Hankyu or Isetan? 

Yeah, I'm like an L with American Rag Cie. Japanese stuff usually have really narrow shoulders with extremely short sleeves. Can't usually fit into any of the select shop stuff.

Edited by herpsky

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody familiar with the location of this house?

tokyo-glass-house-na-sou-fujimoto-archit

I've got few clues but not having visited Tokyo yet it's not much of a help to me. All I know, is that it's

“located on a small side street in a very lively, “hip†part of the city. Full of eccentric, off-the-wall little shops, this neighbourhood’s intense social life is associated with a human-scale ambience made of low houses and mostly pedestrian and bicycle traffic"

located somewhere in here:

tokyo-glass-house-na-sou-fujimoto-archit

Anybody?

It's located in Koenji, Tokyo. 

Found this on google:

http://meetelsa.tumblr.com/post/36744449635/the-house-is-near-koenji-sta-t-ion-and-near-or

So then I went on the Japanese google maps and looked for this alleged seiyu (西å‹ï¼‰supermarket near Koenji station (高円寺駅)and found this:

Schermafbeelding2014-01-13om200421.png

Where number D is the supermarket. 

Streetview then confirmed that this is the house you're talking about, on this map seen as A:

Schermafbeelding2014-01-13om201249.png

And here's a link to it on google maps so you can check out the street view:

https://maps.google.co.jp/maps?saddr=%E6%8C%87%E5%AE%9A%E3%81%AE%E5%9C%B0%E7%82%B9&hl=ja&ie=UTF8&ll=35.704465,139.647962&spn=0.002723,0.004823&sll=35.703982,139.647305&sspn=0.001361,0.002411&geocode=FcbMIAIdtdhSCA&brcurrent=3,0x6018f26337fa971f:0xd0a85e5b97fe2163,0&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=mr&t=m&z=18&start=0

• 2 weeks later...

dude did you end up finding any tattoo joints for Tokyo?