japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Be a Good Neighbor is an amazing kiosk.
Their drip coffee was great, as well as the atmosphere; despite being fairly packed.

Going to be visiting Japan again next summer, mostly to visit my family in Shimane but will be wandering around.

Edited by 1 9 9 3

any recommendations for onsens in the tokyo area? don't mind traveling to outer city limits if I have to. looking for the whole deal, bath/sleep/eat etc. onsens always help me get over jet lag and normally I have my friends take me but they're busy the first couple days I fly in so I have no idea where to go. preferably not too touristy, and I can get by with my japanese so that's not an issue. 

Edited by Method

You got a job now?

still looking for a job. the situation hasn't really changed since i left tokyo. have had some phone interviews. 

on another note:

history of MMM leather riders (i think there are some inaccuracies though — the poster doesn't list "plum" from the previous season)

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/margielamarni/40140259.html

Edited by herpsky

Any advice for a cool hotel in Tokyo. Budget tops around USD300/night but cheaper would be great. I have looked at Park Tower and Cerulean so far.

(I know there are a Tokyo Hotels thread but it´s updated in 2008)...

Thanks!

/K

Really depends on what you want to accomplish. 

Do you wanna party party in ropps? Cop jawnz? 

What does cool mean? Claska in Gakugei-dai is a boutique hotel that's kinda artsy but it's out of the way. 

Cerulean is def. a good bet. 

Anything owned by tokyu is very decent. The excel in akasaka mitsuke is hella convenient. 

+1 for Cerulean, just spent a week there again and it was well worth the price. 4th stay there now and I never regret it, especially with the proximity to certain neighbourhoods and the rooms are large; got Wifi + Gym / Pool pass thrown in too. 

Thanks for answering!

I prefer a well designed boutique hotels  but the girlfriend likes high end business hotels (think four seasons etc.) So any of these would do. I will probably spend time in Daikanyama, Shinjuku etc. Good shopping and good eveneing/night life are priority but cop jawnz beats party in ropps :).

I have looked at The Tokyo Station Hotel also which seems rather old school luxorious and maybe could be nice?

Daikanyama is right behind Cerulean, no more than a 5 min walk through the side streets and you're there plus Shinjuku being around 15 mins away via Yamanote line is a big plus rather than being in a different area. I've liked other hotels i've stayed at including Park Hyatt but for cost, location and convenience, i can't beat Cerulean.

Plus late night cab that's from Shinjuku or Roppongi is just under Â¥2k. 

The granbell is a step down; if you can deal with one of the super cheap tiny rooms, it's a nice/clean hotel and is TOTALLY fine, but typically the spread between the 'nicer' rooms and the Cerulean isn't that large price-wise. If I could get a nice double at granbell for more than 50$ cheaper than Cerulean per night, I'd consider it. (Especially if you can't find a Wifi-gym package for Cerulean because they charge ridic amounts for that crap)

The view-bath suite in granbell is pretty ridiculous, but I think for that $, I'd rather stay @ PH or Claska.

Generally, the Cerulean when its sub 250 and includes wifi/gym can't be beat...

Claska is really far away from all train stations. I think the closest station is Gakugei daigaku. If you have the $ to stay at four seasons, I guess you can always cab it up. 

The best rate I've seen so far is 300 / night for a deluxe twin.

Edited by herpsky

Even if you don't have in room wifi, rent a pocket wifi which is considerably more convenient and cheaper. 

Â¥25,000 a night was my rate at Cerulean with the Wifi and Fitness Club thrown in, not a standard room though. 

http://www.rentafonejapan.com/Mobile-Internet.html is great, in my experience.