japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Blank sims with USB writers? haha weird. I'll check it out. And yeah the lack of wifi is why I'm planning to get one of the wimax / mifi modems. I heard pupuru was supposed to be cheap but rentafone looks cheapest for 3 weeks ( http://www.rentafonejapan.com/Mobile-Internet.html )

Probably going to pick that up day one, maybe go to map camera and buy some cheap used point and shoot, try to buy clothes asap, then spend the next 3 weeks playing jubeat and walking around doing nothing.

I should look up getting train passes too, actually. My friend told me yesterday as a foreigner you can get 7 day 新幹線 passes for like $200 or something cheap.

i'm flying out on the 1st. back on the 2nd. i hope this hurricane won't fuck shit up.

hit me up on Friday or Saturday if you are going to Muse or something. LALZ.

Saturday have a wedding nijikai to go to but Friday should be free. Probably not muse though.

There are more vegan restaurants out there than people think, macrobiotic or veggie, there's also enough falafels and stuff out there, you can get by as a vegan in Japan but you'll never eat any of the good stuff that way. You can eat soba with some soy sauce I guess, and vegetable tempura. There's also a vegetable sushi place in Roppongi Hills.

http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo/feature/6268/Japan-no-dancing-please

I knew club raids were always a thing in Japan, but it's interesting they've actually decimated the scene in cities like Osaka

dissapointintg because I wish Japan would have more house/techno club and not just "drink overpriced liquor with shitty music and try to fuck women" clubs

http://www.timeout.j...-dancing-please

I knew club raids were always a thing in Japan, but it's interesting they've actually decimated the scene in cities like Osaka

dissapointintg because I wish Japan would have more house/techno club and not just "drink overpriced liquor with shitty music and try to fuck women" clubs

negative on more electronic shit.

My favorite type of club.

Ditto

i think we have enough sound-focused clubs. with the recent incidents at flower and closing of alife, club難民's been on the rise. the city needs more pick-up-women clubs.

Edited by herpsky

i'm flying out on the 1st. back on the 2nd. i hope this hurricane won't fuck shit up.

hit me up on Friday or Saturday if you are going to Muse or something. LALZ.

what time do you fly in? I arrive at Narita around 8 or something I think

Actually for a real question - is the process of renting a 3G / wimax modem as simple as going to any of the dozens of kiosks at Nartia and renting one? I know some places would just rent the modem out but I'd need to rent a sim card from elsewhere, but hopefully some just do both.

mobile internet is always a costly hassle in jp. the cheapest and easiest solution so far seems http://300.wi2.co.jp/en/

390 yen a month and you can log into a lot of wifi spots. f.e. at every mc d's. speed can be spotty though

On my last trip to Tokyo I used http://www.rentafonejapan.com and rented pocket WIFI through them before leaving the USA. They had the pocket wifi delivered to my hotel a day or two before I arrived, and included a return envelop to give to the front desk when I checked out. It was super convenient and super useful. I would recommend this company for sure. I was there for 11 days and it cost under $100 USD if I remember correctly.

yeah I used to just rent pocket wifis from softbank at the airport when I arrived. Got the same stores at haneda and Narita, Haneda on departures floor by the smoking room and Narita on the arrivals level I think. The pocket wifis work pretty well except they only run a few hours on a charge since they get abused and rented all the time. The company renting them is not actually affiliated with Softbank and they're kinda shady, it's a hassle to return the equipment in the city like they offer as an option, so just rent it at the airport and return as you leave. I went once and it was a shitty building in Roppongi and they kept making me wait and weren't sure if they'd leet me into the office. It was extremely weird. Anyway, doesn't really matter as what they offer works and it's cheap enough, 1500Y a day for wifi beats paying for it at a hotel plus while you're out and you can run all your devices. They do iPhone SIMs too now but really, I'd just get a pocket wifi - most people aren't really making phone calls in Japan and if you do, can just use the hotel phone.

i need a pocket wifi router. i just bought an unlimited SIM from b-mobile but it won't work with my iphone 5.

i found a SIM cutter that converts a regular SIM to a nano last night. I looked up my phone's ESN. It says it's unlocked but I'm not entirely sure if it's actually true.

I was planning on picking up the SIM from B-mobile but no iPhone 5 support, i've been told to cut it but someone mentioned to me that the nano SIM is a little bit thinner than the micro and it might not work, even though ¥4k isn't much i'd rather not take the risk of it not working.

Ended up booking a pocket Wifi, Cerulean charing me ¥1,050 a day for fixed connection is ridiculous.

I did some research but the thickness doesn't matter. I just got my phone unlocked. I'll cut it the day before it expires and see what happens. I'm using my old android now so I'm okay. There's a bunch of retailers in Akihabara that sell the bmobile SIMs.